Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Who are the front runners to win the South Fork ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 South Fork fan

South Fork fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

I think with North Lincoln getting that upcoming freshman that people compare to dare I say it Goo Wyatt makes them dangerous. Although North played terrible defense. I know Newton and Maiden will be strong. East Lincoln and Lincolnton are normally strong. The other schools have a lot of improvement to be in the top five.
I mean West plays hard but they like the speed to score and defend in the passing game. I'm not sure about Bandy's, they have a great coaching staff but like West in team speed. I have no clue about Lake Norman charter. One thing for sure is that I can't wait until August 1st. What do you guys think of the league?

#2 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

What the heck is South Fork???

#3 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

I think Newton Conover will take the conference but East Lincoln may well be right up there. Maiden maybe as well. Also cannot count out Lincolnton. I remember Goo Wyatt. If there is a player that is coming up that is like him whoever has that player is really going to like what they got.

#4 NC2B

NC2B

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

Newton is the favorite. Haven't won any big games the last 5 or 6 years but the talent is there to be great. Circle the Newton and Maiden game and Newton and Lincolnton game and Maiden and Lincolnton. Those three games decide the conference.

#5 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Sorry, forgot that was the name of your conference.  North Lincoln used to be in our conference.  They hung 70 on us one time.  Glad they don't play us anymore.

#6 Wolf4Lyfe

Wolf4Lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Newton is the clear favorite with Maiden, East, and Lincolnton following behind in no particular order. As far as the kid at north middle, I have heard that he may be leaving to go play in South Carolina. 

#7 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Maiden lost a lot this season we will have some growing pains this year I don't see us finishing any higher than 3rd in 2018 2019 maiden will be a huge favorite. I'll be honest Rebuilding year in the biggest little football town in the world

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

I would be surprised if Newton-Conover didn’t go 10-1 and undefeated in the South Fork Conference. All the offensive pieces are there except two offensive line positions. Questions just like last year on defense but they should outscore teams.

I think East Lincoln has the ability to finish up in the second position. Maiden should make a play for second but they have to develop a bunch of kids at almost every position. QB should be good and I think they will be able to throw the ball.

Lincolnton is an unknown for me. Number of kids in the program is down at all levels.

Bandys needs change.

#9 South Fork fan

South Fork fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

My knowledge from Lincolnton people goes down to the middle school when referring to numbers. They proclaim that they have no one willing to coach at the middle school. The middle school won two games in two years I think. My friends at Lincolnton say that hurts the high school's numbers. They went on to say that the JV team has posted four winning seasons in a row. I do know looking at the roster that they graduated a lot of offensive lineman. If you look at Catawba county, Maiden , Newton and River bend have good middle school coaches. Sorry for getting off topic, I think you make good points GDG.

#10 Idiocracy9090

Idiocracy9090

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

I would be surprised if Newton-Conover didn’t go 10-1 and undefeated in the South Fork Conference. All the offensive pieces are there except two offensive line positions. Questions just like last year on defense but they should outscore teams.

I think East Lincoln has the ability to finish up in the second position. Maiden should make a play for second but they have to develop a bunch of kids at almost every position. QB should be good and I think they will be able to throw the ball.

Lincolnton is an unknown for me. Number of kids in the program is down at all levels.

Bandys needs change.

What questions does Newton have on defense specifically?

#11 Wolf4Lyfe

Wolf4Lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

Lincolnton has never really had a good middle school program but the current condition of the program is troubling. I have heard rumblings a certain retired coach may take over the job soon which would be much needed. We have talent walking in the halls both at the middle school but coaching is so bad and unable to get the kids out there. Another thing that is beginning to hurt Lincolnton is the lack of a youth program. The Boger City Steelers used to be the feeder program for Lincolnton and it isn't around anymore which is hurting youth involvement in the sport. 10 years ago the home side would be littered with kids wearing a boger city jersey on Friday nights and you just don't see it anymore, the last successful group of talent at Lincolnton were all products of Boger City Optimist, as was the group with Peanut Cunningham and Patrick Randelman. I am afraid if we do not get a solid youth program back then it will be bad news for the future of the high school program. 

#12 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Lincolnton has never really had a good middle school program but the current condition of the program is troubling. I have heard rumblings a certain retired coach may take over the job soon which would be much needed. We have talent walking in the halls both at the middle school but coaching is so bad and unable to get the kids out there. Another thing that is beginning to hurt Lincolnton is the lack of a youth program. The Boger City Steelers used to be the feeder program for Lincolnton and it isn't around anymore which is hurting youth involvement in the sport. 10 years ago the home side would be littered with kids wearing a boger city jersey on Friday nights and you just don't see it anymore, the last successful group of talent at Lincolnton were all products of Boger City Optimist, as was the group with Peanut Cunningham and Patrick Randelman. I am afraid if we do not get a solid youth program back then it will be bad news for the future of the high school program.

I did not realize that the Boger City Steelers were not around anymore. Three years ago was the last time I coached youth football, and the last time I coached against the Steelers from Boger City. They had a good program, and it's something I hope they can bring back soon.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

I remember Boger City Steelers from many years ago. Too bad they are gone. That same organization had some very well run programs. Gone also from my days are the Newton-Conover teams called the Eagles and Wolverines. Startown which fed Fred T Foard also folded. Claremont which fed Bunker Hill lasted maybe three years and folded. One of the feeders from Bandys has dissolved as well. That’s a bunch of teams. Newton-Conover started with four teams and now only have one team to my knowledge.

First year Newton-Conover started a program outside the recreation department they had over 200 kids sign up. For years they had some crazy good equipment and flashy dazzle uniforms. The man who spearheaded the league hasn’t been associated with the organization for many years. He did a heck of a job for N-C football but it became overwhelming to operate. Handed it off to others.

Doubt we will ever see that many kids in youth football programs again but an effort needs to be made to establish some of these teams.

#14 Shelby Lion

Shelby Lion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

We are lucky in Cleveland County at the moment:

We have the Cleveland County Youth Football league that fields teams with kids that will eventually become Burns, Crest and Shelby players.

I spent the last seven years on that particular football board and coaching Mighty Mite, Pee Wee and Midget players. The folks associated with this program are great and the league is very successful

Kings Mountain I believe have the KM Elite squads but not sure how many teams etc but they are also a well run league. We have a "travel team" in Cleveland County that began a year or two ago called the Cleveland County Seminoles that Ive noticed a couple folks on there used to be with the league I am/was associated with...

I guess for the time being we are lucky as the youth programs are striving in these parts. Its an endless task and from Mid June until the week before Thanksgiving it is basically a full time gig if you will.  This year was my last and I am hanging up the old whistle, but it has for the most part been a very enjoyable process (Occasional crazy parent issues aside) ha ha...

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

We are lucky in Cleveland County at the moment:

We have the Cleveland County Youth Football league that fields teams with kids that will eventually become Burns, Crest and Shelby players.
I spent the last seven years on that particular football board and coaching Mighty Mite, Pee Wee and Midget players. The folks associated with this program are great and the league is very successful

Kings Mountain I believe have the KM Elite squads but not sure how many teams etc but they are also a well run league. We have a "travel team" in Cleveland County that began a year or two ago called the Cleveland County Seminoles that Ive noticed a couple folks on there used to be with the league I am/was associated with...

I guess for the time being we are lucky as the youth programs are striving in these parts. Its an endless task and from Mid June until the week before Thanksgiving it is basically a full time gig if you will. This year was my last and I am hanging up the old whistle, but it has for the most part been a very enjoyable process (Occasional crazy parent issues aside) ha ha...

Job well done my friend. Takes special men to devote that amount of time. Now you can just watch and complain from the stands like the rest of us. Much easier.

JeffChapman-Dynamic