Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Some of the wrestling greats

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

I don’t get into the wrestling part but thought to share good wrestlers from South Iredell. My senior year of 1986 4 wrestlers were advanced to the NCHSAA State Tournament. Of the 4 one was Mitch Mayhew who is the son of the great legend Bill Mayhew who coached wrestling at South Iredell. Mitch would defeat a wrestler from Trinity with a pin for the State Championship game but also lost to the same wrestler earlier that season. It was Mitch only loss earlier that season. Then back in the nineties a wrestler by the name of Tyrone Westmoreland would wrestle all four years of his high school years and would only lose 3 matches and that was 1 his freshman year in the State Championship game and 1 his sophomore year in the State Championship game and 1 his junior year in the State Champion game. Then he would win it all his senior year. I never saw him wrestle but was told he was quick and would pin wrestlers in a hurry. He also was a great running back for South Iredell. Mitch Mayhew who played on the offensive line and Tyrone Westmoreland who was a running back both played in the Shrine Bowl. South Iredell was known for its wrestling program.

#2 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

JeffChapman-Dynamic