Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Conference play

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#26 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Some games to watch this week-

Monday

Lincolnton @ Draughn 

Tuesday

Athens Drive @ Green Hope, Pisgah @ Hendersonville, Mt Tabor @ Dudley, North Gaston @ Ashbrook, Olympic @ Ardrey Kell, Independence @ Rocky River, Watauga @ Hickory, Wakefield @ Heritage

Wednesday

Goldsboro @ Clinton, Pamlico @ West Carteret

Friday

Fairmont @ West Columbus, SW Guilford @ Mt Tabor, Myers Park @ Independence, Lake Norman @ North Meck, South Point @ RS Central, Pinecrest @ Hoke

#27 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

The Western Highlands conference will be full tilt underway this week. Some teams got a few games in last week but all the others should start Tuesday evening. Heritage has Owen, Smoky Mtn. and Madison this week and 3 games next week as well, due to the weather and football adjustments.

Will be interesting to see if we can possibly knock off Avery this year. We should have a substantial size advantage and more depth, but Avery is always well coached and play well together. And of course they still have Deacon Heath. Heritage will have to defend him better than Mitchell did it sounds like.

#28 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Avery was swept by Watauga and if Heritage is the team I think they are,they should beat Avery by 10+ They have a huge size advantage and Avery has trouble scoring points this year

#29 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:57 AM

a MUST win for Statesville IMO.... as they face SI at SI tonight ! 

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#30 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Yes for sure Avery depends on the scoring of Heath to get them some wins. If he is even held to 20 points, they may struggle winning any game. It is bad for the WHC, but after Heath graduates, I could see the Avery basketball program begin to head South in a big way. We need them to stay strong in the conference to keep it respectable in the state, but I do not see the talent coming up in their middle school and JV programs.

Some may say that Avery won the JV conference last year, but Heritage and other teams had young players moved up. Heritage had 3 freshman on varsity and 2 sophomores as well.  

#31 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Lady Pats down Alexander 55-13. Sets up first place showdown with Watauga Friday at FHS.

Pats beat the Cougars 81-52. Jakari Dula missed the game due to an injury, hope he can return before the McDowell game next Tuesday in Marion.

Edit-per Hobbs Daily Report Fletcher Abee had 40 points last night.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#32 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

North Iredell ladies won a huge top ten matchup over Carson tonight. Both teams battled hard and it was fun to watch and see two top ranked teams battle!

#33 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

McDowell whipped South Caldwell 84-47

#34 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:08 PM

Hickory smacked Watauga 68-35

#35 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

Heritage took all 4 at Owen tonight. Both girls games pretty good with JVs winning by about 8 and Varsity pulling away by about 12 or 15 in the end. JV boys won big and varsity boys was a running clock with Heritage putting up 92 points.

#36 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

Heritage boys beat Owen 92-45, Owen are 1-14 on the year after going 23-6 a season ago where they finished second in the WHC, seems that football is not the only sport the transfers are hurting them at

#37 The Dean of the NW4A

The Dean of the NW4A

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

Lady Pats down Alexander 55-13. Sets up first place showdown with Watauga Friday at FHS.

Pats beat the Cougars 81-52. Jakari Dula missed the game due to an injury, hope he can return before the McDowell game next Tuesday in Marion.

Edit-per Hobbs Daily Report Fletcher Abee had 40 points last night.

Heard the guys game was a 6 point game at the half?  Seems like a lot of Freedom games are that way this year.  Close early and pull away late.  Interesting.

#38 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Big win for the boys game South Iredell over Statesville 79-76 in OT. South built a huge lead in the first half but Statesville would make a comeback to send it into OT. The Lady’s Greyhounds would win big over SI.

#39 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Heard the guys game was a 6 point game at the half?  Seems like a lot of Freedom games are that way this year.  Close early and pull away late.  Interesting.

It was 36-30 at the half.  I don't know if Casey is making adjustments at halftime or if we are wearing down some opponents with depth, but we have had some close games at the half that ended up not so close.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#40 Steve Johnston

Steve Johnston

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Big win for the boys game South Iredell over Statesville 79-76 in OT. South built a huge lead in the first half but Statesville would make a comeback to send it into OT. The Lady’s Greyhounds would win big over SI.

Same thing happened to Statesville at Carson. If they can figure out how to play in the first half they might cause some trouble

#41 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

More scores from last night-

Green Hope 68 Athens Drive 66

Hendersonville 65 Pisgah 59

South Point 71 East Rutherford 65

Mt Tabor 75 Dudley 64

Thomasville 63 Salisbury 58

Independence 75 Rocky River 74

Heritage 76 Wakefield 54

#42 Steve Johnston

Steve Johnston

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

North Iredell ladies won a huge top ten matchup over Carson tonight. Both teams battled hard and it was fun to watch and see two top ranked teams battle!

Carson gave this game away in the 3rd Q and start of 4th. Seemed confused as to what D NI was in and just stood around for a quarter and a half. The will have to play alot better to have a shot next time around. As a side note, the referee's we're simply atrocious and I gotta admit that is a fabulous gym up there at NI

#43 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Got to see our Boys team last night against Carson.  Man we only scored 35 and someone said the game before we only scored 29.  Wish I had known we were that bad before I paid to get in.  

#44 Steve Johnston

Steve Johnston

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Got to see our Boys team last night against Carson. Man we only scored 35 and someone said the game before we only scored 29. Wish I had known we were that bad before I paid to get in.

I hear the internet is a great place to find out that sort of information

#45 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Raidergator, The girls game was a great game. Should have noticed that on internet also! They play right before the boys.

#46 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

Mountain Heritage girls avenge their only loss of the season tonight by giving Smoky mountain girls their only loss of the season 54-32

Mountain Heritage boys play a big second half to get a 83-67 win over Smoky

#47 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Man I thought Owen may take a step back but geeze they are pitiful.. They are really struggling in multiple sports

#48 VIKING COUNTRY

VIKING COUNTRY

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

Yes for sure Avery depends on the scoring of Heath to get them some wins. If he is even held to 20 points, they may struggle winning any game. It is bad for the WHC, but after Heath graduates, I could see the Avery basketball program begin to head South in a big way. We need them to stay strong in the conference to keep it respectable in the state, but I do not see the talent coming up in their middle school and JV programs.

Some may say that Avery won the JV conference last year, but Heritage and other teams had young players moved up. Heritage had 3 freshman on varsity and 2 sophomores as well.

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing all the backlash on Avery. You Cougar Clowns said the same thing when Luke Crowe and Jacob Waldroop graduated, you said the same thing when Jeffery Puckett graduated, now you say the same thing about Heath. Yes all are incredible athletes, yes Avery has been on an incredible run 58 straight conference wins and counting A STREAK THAT WILL NEVER BE MATCHED and year after year I hear just wait for the bottom to fall out. We might have a down year or 2, I'm not saying we are invincible, but I do think we have a solid basketball program and are very capable of developing new talent and I feel we will be competitive inside our conference year in year out. I have noticed the success Heritage is having this season and like always you guys will give us a good game and I am looking forward to both games. What I won't do is call out Heritage and say when their 6 YEAR STARTERS finally graduate at the AGE OF 25 then Heritage is be on the down hill slope. Here's a math lesson for you if Heritage is full of 16 year old freshman (because they were "held back" for middle school ball) then they play highschool ball for 6 years, then they will be Coach Robinson son's age that just graduated. I wonder is it an education or cheating problem? "My name is Jethro Bodine I am 6'5, I drive my uncle Jed's truck and I'm the 6th grade QB at East Yancey Middle School.

#49 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing all the backlash on Avery. You Cougar Clowns said the same thing when Luke Crowe and Jacob Waldroop graduated, you said the same thing when Jeffery Puckett graduated, now you say the same thing about Heath. Yes all are incredible athletes, yes Avery has been on an incredible run 58 straight conference wins and counting A STREAK THAT WILL NEVER BE MATCHED and year after year I hear just wait for the bottom to fall out. We might have a down year or 2, I'm not saying we are invincible, but I do think we have a solid basketball program and are very capable of developing new talent and I feel we will be competitive inside our conference year in year out. I have noticed the success Heritage is having this season and like always you guys will give us a good game and I am looking forward to both games. What I won't do is call out Heritage and say when their 6 YEAR STARTERS finally graduate at the AGE OF 25 then Heritage is be on the down hill slope. Here's a math lesson for you if Heritage is full of 16 year old freshman (because they were "held back" for middle school ball) then they play highschool ball for 6 years, then they will be Coach Robinson son's age that just graduated. I wonder is it an education or cheating problem? "My name is Jethro Bodine I am 6'5, I drive my uncle Jed's truck and I'm the 6th grade QB at East Yancey Middle School.

The truth hurts, but this is very true. And not just East Yancey. I remember back when I played, we ( Cranberry) played at Cane River. I joke you not this guy pulled up in a car, got out grabbed his pads, and played that night.

#50 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

I did not make the post to downgrade Avery at all, just pointing out some obvious downturns that all of our programs have. Avery has a great coach in place from what I hear and he will get the most from the players. I just do not see a Puckett or Heath style player coming down the pipeline. And I did not say Heritage could stop them this year either. Their run has been exceptional and may even continue through this year. We will all have to wait and see.

I would be interested in who the 16 year old freshman are playing at Mountain Heritage. I know most the kids but do not know their birthdates. If Heritage has been playing outside the NCHSAA rules and allowing 6 years of eligibility you would think the other schools ADs would turn them in. I would hope ours would in the same situation.

And if Avery was not having obvious issues, then students would not be transferring to other NC and Tennessee schools so often. It could happen to any of us at anytime and I realize that. There are a lot of great kids and parents at Avery, but to say there is no issues right now would be incorrect.

JeffChapman-Dynamic