Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Bunker Hill Looking For New Coach

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Bunker Hill is searching for a new coach after David Haynie announced his retirement today.  He went 2-20 in two years as the Bears coach. 

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:58 PM

Need someone young and new to being a head coach. Someone from this area who will begin the process from youth up. This project will take years.

#3 Daletec

Daletec

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

When we played them this year, I did notice some athletic ability.  They just need a young leader willing to build a program starting at youth, then middle school and by the time high school comes, they could be good.  Most of the football talent in the Bunker Hill area ends up at Bandys or at Maiden.  You have to get these young men in real training and the weight room.  There was natural ability at that school, just no leadership or building program.

#4 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

Need someone young and new to being a head coach. Someone from this area who will begin the process from youth up. This project will take years.

Joe Glass, Brandon Gentry, Kenneth Mcclamrock ? 

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#5 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

Roy Williams won 2 games his first year at Owen high. The next year wasn't much better, wonder what would've happened if they fired him after that. People aren't real patient anymore and sometimes they discard good coaches without giving them a chance.

#6 Daletec

Daletec

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Coaches also rely heavily on the support of school administrators and parents.  Without a buy-in from these folks, the students will not buy into what the coach is selling.  Every successful athletics program has the support of parents and faculty at the school.  I think it's such a shame when the school doesn't support athletics, adequately, as the school's other programs actually benefit financially from successful athletics programs.

#7 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Good Community but it's been a while since they were relevant.  I agree, this is a place where a program could be built but it will be a process that takes some time. 

#8 Pisgah Bears

Pisgah Bears

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Coaches also rely heavily on the support of school administrators and parents.  Without a buy-in from these folks, the students will not buy into what the coach is selling.  Every successful athletics program has the support of parents and faculty at the school.  I think it's such a shame when the school doesn't support athletics, adequately, as the school's other programs actually benefit financially from successful athletics programs.

Having Community support is also important.

#9 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

Admin support may be a concern. They have made national and state news for acts of violence over the past year and many in the community called for the principals removal. So what did the Catawba School Board immediately do- announced him as principal of the year. I’ve talked to many parents and faculty. They have no faith in the leadership. Not to mention the assistant principal who showed up drunk as hell at this past years graduation ceremony at the community college and hit two cars, was late, and got a DUI. In that school system if you fail at the other schools you get assigned to Bunker Hill. Good luck to the next coach.

#10 Hibriten

Hibriten

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

Having some ties to BH i can tell you that Admin just does not care about the product on the field. Haynie was a poor hire from the beginning- he never had a winning record anywhere he went.

There is no support and I don't see them getting any in the near future.

#11 NC2B

NC2B

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

Haynie was a quick fix to the football coaching search two years ago. Easy to go internal when you do not worry about winning on the field. They have a successful young coach in the program that I do not feel would take the football job, but he may be offered first. I think there are some decent coaches in the area, possibly a coach from NC may throw a hat in the ring and some other assistants from around the area. Do not think that this is a job for somebody who is already in a winning program. Think this may be a first time head coaching opportunity or possibly a coach looking to move back into the area. Really good conference to be apart of if you are looking to win some games. No real competition year in and out except for Hibriten. Some athletes at the school though.

#12 sportsfan2017

sportsfan2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

I take exception to the point that if you fail at other schools that you get appointed to Bunker Hill .   Bunker Hill like any other school has issues ,but those issues are no less or no more than any other schools.   If you believe that statement , then you are completely oblivious of events that go on locally and statewide in other schools.    The community is overall very supportive and the coaches at Bunker Hill work just as hard if not harder than any other school or program.   Can the football program be improved in terms of wins and losses?   The answer is yes but it will take time for it to happen on yearly basis.    I find it interesting that a school can have some down years in football and the whole school can be trashed regardless of the other good things that go on, and if a school has tradition in football then all other problems or concerns at that school gets white washed over.    

#13 Hibriten

Hibriten

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

I know that Chuck Cannon applied for that job when they hired Haynie.....let that sink in for a bit....

#14 NC2B

NC2B

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Sometimes it is not bad to hire some youth. Take a chance on somebody who has not gotten an opportunity yet who you think will give your program a chance to be successful. People go to Bunker games and actually travel decently to all sports. I think it is a good opportunity and hope to see a positive change.

#15 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

I know that Chuck Cannon applied for that job when they hired Haynie.....let that sink in for a bit....

That’s crazy.

#16 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

Tom Harper?

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#17 NC2B

NC2B

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

I do not think the school wants to hire a new coach every year or two. Go young and find somebody who wants to be a bear. This is a community that needs a coach who will be there for the rebuilding of the program. They won the middle school championship and JV conference but varsity teams were really young this year. Hard to believe that Bunker will be top tier program but I think that they have a chance to have seasons where they can win a lot of football games and seasons where they dont. It will be a roller coaster ride for this community which is why I would hire someone who will be there awhile and not just riding it out till retirement.

#18 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

There are kids at Bunker Hill who could make the football and basketball program successful. Too many short term and wrong coaches. I’ve personally witnessed kids who could run like deer and jump like Superman who never played a varsity sport but are at the YMCA loooking like all conference athletes. Gotta work on the program from the youth up and dramatically change the middle school programs. This applies to all the Catawba County schools as well. 10 years of a dismal economy when manufacturing left has bled over into school progress and sports. Blue collar kids now need jobs to support what parents once were able to provide.

Ran the single wing Norte Dame box for about four or five years that killed the use of athletic kids. That offense worked in 1930 but is useless in this century of speed and talent. They need a coach in the 30’s range who will show his face at youth games and interact with the middle school. Bunker Hill has fans who want to win and they deserve better efforts to get the right guy. They also need a method of gauging every years continuous improvement thru annual reviews.

Catawba County as a whole does not lend itself to developing sports programs. The optimist and recreation leagues do not want to be involved with each other further setting the whole county back for all sports.

#19 NC2B

NC2B

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

Maiden seems to be the only team that is consistent each year. Newton is getting closer but has not done well over the previous 5 seasons before this season. Bandys, Bunker, Saint, and Foard have had tough times inn football. Foard seems to be on the right track but not sure about the other three schools.

#20 sportsfan2017

sportsfan2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

Bunker Hill did not need Chuck Cannon.   They need someone young enough that is going to stick around and build the program over a period of years.   He would not have been a long term answer either.    

#21 South Fork fan

South Fork fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:29 AM

Bunker Hill needs a young coach that can excite the kids, and the community. Having lived in Catawba county, I can tell ya that a young coach that can meet with the optimist and middle school players, coaches and parents can help bring back Bear pride. The real challenge is getting kids to stick with football. The athletes of this generation do not want to play in the Notre Dame box. The kids watch teams in college running spread schemes . They want coaches to help with highlight films, contacting colleges etc... It's not 1965, the kids have to believe they will benefit. I know ithey win in track , which means Bunker has the talent to compete. If there middle school, and the JV teamwork won or had a share in the conference as mentioned in the previous post then the future is bright.
Another thing that helps Bunker is the conference. Only Fred T Foard, Patton and Hibriten made the playoffs, so competing against Draughn, East Burke and West Iredell shouldn't be that big of an issue. I miss the old days when Catawba county had strong programs. I'm not blaming the previous coach, but once again this program needs some young blood with energy.

#22 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

I think Jason Lippard will be a good fit at Bunker Hil , He currently just teaching at West Iredell but He would be a good fit at Bunker Hill as he is a young HC and He been a HC before

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#23 sportsfan2017

sportsfan2017

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I see where he has been the head coach at 3 schools in a short amount of time.    

#24 Hibriten

Hibriten

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:43 AM

Bunker Hill did not need Chuck Cannon.   They need someone young enough that is going to stick around and build the program over a period of years.   He would not have been a long term answer either.    

lol OK, dumbest thing ive ever read on the internet.

#25 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

I see where he has been the head coach at 3 schools in a short amount of time.    

most of his schools were rebuilding programs n they doing better bc of the foundation he layed n also u know Admin support is big which he didnt have so he needs the time n support n he will be successful! 

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

JeffChapman-Dynamic