Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Looks like Weddington football job

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

is open 

#2 coachE42

coachE42

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

Coach Carson is one of the best football coaches I have ever been around.  He was a coach that you either loved or you didn't because of his old school style approach to coaching.  Good luck to him as  I am sure he will return to his home state of South Carolina and find a job there.  I am sure there will be plenty of interest in this job.

#3 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Great coach!  Love talking with him.  He lives the game.  He will head back to SC which is where he is all week preparing the NC boys for the Shrine Bowl.

#4 bhmccorm

bhmccorm

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Where is Carson from in SC?

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:11 PM

Seneca, SC

#6 wideout6

wideout6

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Appears that Carson will be Head Coach at West Oak HS in SC.

http://www.enquirerj...2b6208b97d.html

Of course, you won't be able to read any free articles from this newspaper, but that's none of my business.

#7 Reynoldsrocks23

Reynoldsrocks23

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:00 PM

Good luck to him, great coach!

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

If I were new to teaching and coaching I would begin my career in South Carolina. Why wait for NC retirement. Get your money now for the next 25 years.

#9 coachE42

coachE42

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

Apparently South Carolina recently changed their pension plan which has really changed the dynamic of teaching.  Of course, those teachers who had been teaching in SC are grandfathered in, but new teachers do not have the same pension.  The pension and retirement plan in NC really is good, so it makes sense to put your time in NC and then make the switch.

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Apparently South Carolina recently changed their pension plan which has really changed the dynamic of teaching.  Of course, those teachers who had been teaching in SC are grandfathered in, but new teachers do not have the same pension.  The pension and retirement plan in NC really is good, so it makes sense to put your time in NC and then make the switch.

North Carolina has also been entertaining a different approach to retirement plans. The last year there has been talk of going more toward a contribution plan to reduce cost. Don’t be surprised to see a drastic change in both health and retirement benefits.

#11 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

North Carolina has also been entertaining a different approach to retirement plans. The last year there has been talk of going more toward a contribution plan to reduce cost. Don’t be surprised to see a drastic change in both health and retirement benefits.

Sooner or later it is going to be an even more unreal struggle to get and retain quality educators.

#12 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Sooner or later it is going to be an even more unreal struggle to get and retain quality educators.

Yup....Whole new dynamic to education is needed.

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

This is a great school and given the success and the location, will make it very attractive to coaches.  I thought Justin Hardin did a great job a few years ago laying a foundation with guys like Anthony Boone at quarterback and obviously Tim Carson, who's one of the best in the business, came in and really took them to levels never thought attainable.  

I remember back in the early 2000's, the Weddington program was probably one of the worst around but times change and this is now a powerhouse in the 3A ranks. 

I think with the staff that Carson has assembled, you don't have to look far for a head coaching candiate.  One guy I like a lot who's already on the staff is Andy Capone.  He's still young but he's very smart and has all the tools to be a solid head coach. 

Of course I think there will be several good candidates and if I were the administration, here may be a list of guys I'd be looking at. 

Brian Hales; Head Coach at Butler.  I know many would think that Hales would never leave Butler but this could be a perfect situation for him to leave the CMS system and not having to move since he lives local.  Obviously Hales is one of the best in the business and I'd want him leading my program. 

Joe Evans; Assistant at Myers Park, he's been a head coach at Independence and Ardrey Kell and would have the credentials to take over a program like Weddington. 

Mark Harman; Assistant at Myers Park, former head coach at West Mecklenburg, he's one of the smartest and brightest football coaches in Mecklenburg County.  

Jason Fowler; Head Coach at Olympic; he lives on the East side of Mecklenburg County and in my opinion would be a great choice at Weddington because I think it fits his style better in terms of being very aggresive on defense which would fit his personality much better. 

Barry Merritt; Assistant at A.L. Brown, he lives very close to the school, he's got a tremendous resume which includes winning a National Championship as a student assistant at Appalachian State, and he's worked at some great schools to include A.C. Reynolds, Pinecrest, as well as being the defensive coordiator at North Iredell.  His father Tom Merritt was also a head coach in Union County 30 years ago. 

#14 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:10 PM

Tom coached at Mitchell

#15 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Tom coached at Mitchell

Hunter Huss too.

#16 pigskin4

pigskin4

Rookie

• Coach
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

Hunter Huss too.

Tom coached at Mitchell

Prize goes to the person that can name everywhere he coached....including assistant jobs.

#17 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Had his best team in chapel hill. Tom is a good man

#18 SPRedRaider

SPRedRaider

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Prize goes to the person that can name everywhere he coached....including assistant jobs.

http://carolinapreps...achDetails/276/

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...

#19 pigskin4

pigskin4

Rookie

• Coach
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

http://carolinapreps...achDetails/276/

Those are just head coaching jobs. There were some assistant jobs in the 70s and since his last HC job in Washington.

JeffChapman-Dynamic