Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Avery coach resigns

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Appvol

Appvol

Established Member

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Looks like Avery will be looking for a new coach.Hopefully they can find somebody who can get kids to come out.

https://www.goblueri...-phelps-resigns
VFL

#2 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

The classes there now just aren't football players.

#3 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

I'd say if know one else brewer will take over, I have to agree with homer it seems Avery has been more focused on Basketball than any other sport the last couple of years

#4 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Their kids haven't been good at football on rec league and middle school levels in a long time. I think their 3 and 4th grade team this year was good other than that they've had a great run of basketball players. That ends after this year

#5 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

I think avery's 5th and 6th graders won the football league this year.

#6 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Avery needs to hit a homerun with next coach. With Avery being good in basketball,that tells me they have the athletes for football.

#7 VikingNation

VikingNation

Established Member

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Avery needs to take their time and look outside of the Viking family. This shouldn't come as a surprise till anyone. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.

#8 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:24 AM

Maybe they will revisit Ricky Spradling as the coach. I think he put in the last time. He would be a hometown kid and has spent time at Furman and North Greenville Universities. I have to agree with most posters, it will be a few years to get the program developed and moving the right direction. I know the fan base would have to be more patient than with the coach that just left. It does take talent and it takes more than 3 or 4 players coming through at 1 time.  

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

I've already had a few good coaches call me to inquire about the job including at least one who has been a head coach at the 4A level in Charlotte.  It'll be interesting to see what the administration decides to do, I for one think that Coach Phelps did a good job with some foundation building and while he didn't reap the fruits of his labors, the next guy could be in a pretty decent situation to start from. 

I'll also say this, if Darrell Brewer decided that he did want to step back into a head coaching role, I would have no problem hiring him again.  

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

Maybe they will revisit Ricky Spradling as the coach. I think he put in the last time. He would be a hometown kid and has spent time at Furman and North Greenville Universities. I have to agree with most posters, it will be a few years to get the program developed and moving the right direction. I know the fan base would have to be more patient than with the coach that just left. It does take talent and it takes more than 3 or 4 players coming through at 1 time.  

Ricky Spradling would be an excellent choice for Avery, no question.  I've interacted with him many times and he's as sharp as it gets. 

Another local college guy that I would seriously look at is Justin Pollizi who is an assistant at Mars Hill, he has a background as a high school coach and given the right situation would probably love to get back into the high school ranks.  

#11 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

Ricky Spradling throwing to Josh Johnson. That was a heckuva combo back in the day.

#12 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

That is exactly right. Saw that duo torch the WHC on more than one occasion.

#13 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

They don't have much talent up there right now. Won't matter too much who they get. Avery county isn't very patient with their coaches. Phelps left because of egregious parent problems. Parents up there right now are not supportive of any coach who asks their kids to commit and work hard. That's why some parents that want their kids to succeed took their kids to Mitchell this year. They were ready to oust polsgrove after year one and then he started winning. He left for a reason too. He knew after next year the obstacles he would face from same set of parents. My opinion they never gave Phelps a chance from get go.

#14 Viking_fan

Viking_fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

They don't have much talent up there right now. Won't matter too much who they get. Avery county isn't very patient with their coaches. Phelps left because of egregious parent problems. Parents up there right now are not supportive of any coach who asks their kids to commit and work hard. That's why some parents that want their kids to succeed took their kids to Mitchell this year. They were ready to oust polsgrove after year one and then he started winning. He left for a reason too. He knew after next year the obstacles he would face from same set of parents. My opinion they never gave Phelps a chance from get go.

I disagree completely with this. I have never heard a parent complain about too much work or commitment. There are a lot of issues with Avery football right now, and for whatever reason the kids aren’t excited about football in Avery County. I hate to see the coach go, but something was needed to reinvigorate the kids. Avery has talented athletes. We just have to figure out how to get them to come out for football at a young age and stick with it through the high school years. I think this is where Mitchell has succeeded. The program has built up the younger kids, and has them excited about playing football.

#15 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

In what level did any kid at avery now succeed in football regardless of the coach and yes parents up there were upset at this coach for telling them it was their fault they had a losing season because they were in weight room this summer. You've got a few bad parents up there that believe their kids are always right and shouldn't be challenged by any coach. Waking up to the real issues is a challenge for avery fans and parents

#16 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

Kids are excited because we have won games and coach Pittman demands kids work all year on football parents have bought in and supported him whole heartedly. 15-18 year olds nowadays learn how to work hard in weight room and conditioning. When we were growing up we got same lessons in wood piles and hay fields

#17 Viking_fan

Viking_fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

In what level did any kid at avery now succeed in football regardless of the coach and yes parents up there were upset at this coach for telling them it was their fault they had a losing season because they were in weight room this summer. You've got a few bad parents up there that believe their kids are always right and shouldn't be challenged by any coach. Waking up to the real issues is a challenge for avery fans and parents

All I can say from experience is that I have never heard this complaint. I’ve heard complaints about play calling and lack of being in shape, but I’ve never heard anyone say their kid is having to spend too much time at practice or go too much in the Summer. You obviously think we are doomed either way, so why keep bashing the program while it’s down. If you’re right, we will get a new coach, keep him a couple of years, and then continue to lose. I’m more optimistic. I don’t see us winning a ton in the next few years, but I do believe the talent we have is better than our win totals from the past couple of years.

#18 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

One thing I know and have seen, especially in the 1A ranks, is you don't have to have a team full of exceptionally fast speedsters and city kids just to compete, all a coach has to do is get a group of young men to come together as a family, buy into the team goal, and just work their tails off in the weight room, and put in all of those long, hard hours, when nobody sees it during the  months of January through July, and you'll win.  Football is not that complicated, you don't have to have elaborate schemes and fast players (now don't get me wrong, speed helps), you just have to play together, with a purpose, and be more physical than the team you lineup against.  

Take a page out of the Charlotte Catholic or Mount Pleasant playbook, both of these programs are far less talented than everyone they play, but kids these days don't want to play physical, they don't want to get down and dirty and what do these teams do, they bring it every week and dominate the line of scrimmage and make the opponent fight for 48 minutes, which in many cases they want nothing to do with and just quit. 

Don't worry about a scheme, find a coach that can make his players run through walls (A guy like Russell Stone who you passed over and is now making Hickory great again), and you'll have a winning program in short order.  

#19 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

They wouldn't let him coach long enough to build their program. They fired Babe Howell after he resurrected the from the dead

#20 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

They treat their coaches like dirt up there

#21 Viking_fan

Viking_fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

They treat their coaches like dirt up there

You’re sounding like a scorned lover.

#22 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Lol. Hardly just observing how you all do business up there. You fired the winningest coach in nc history. You probably won't be pleased with anyone

#23 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

Not hardly never coached or played there just really lost all respect for avery a long time ago.

#24 Viking_fan

Viking_fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Not hardly never coached or played there just really lost all respect for avery a long time ago.

We’ll try our best to not lose any sleep over that.

#25 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

They don't have much talent up there right now. Won't matter too much who they get.

I don't agree with that at all. If you have a school of 600 kids and can be competitive in any of the major men's sports, talent and potential exists. They may not have much of a culture right now but look at Cherokee. A school of 300 kids that 4 years ago went winless! 

It's going to take an overhaul. It's going to take getting kids who have talent to come out and not think football is a waste of time. It can however happen.

JeffChapman-Dynamic