Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Mountain Heritage @ Reidsville

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

Both undefeated. In the western final. Reidsville been there, done that. Heritage is hungry.

#2 Highlander123

Highlander123

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

We've done it, too. Just not as often as Reidsville has:))

#3 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

This could be a similar scenario to duke unlv from early 90s. Teams blown out first time around, given no chance second time around, but finds a way to win.

#4 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Lets see Reidsville beat South Columbus 28/0 whiteville beat south Columbus 47/ 14 heritage beats whiteville but we don't have a chance lol

#5 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Looking forward to matching up with Reidsville again. This was closer to the round we should have met last year IMO. Great place to play a football game. You can since the tradition when you walk into the stadium. Thinking that we can bring you all more of a game this year. Hopefully your crowd will not be bored Friday night. I know you guys have been used to playing about 1/2 of a game with your starters in conference play. Thinking we may be able to keep them in the game a little longer. We appreciated the hospitality last year but not the end score.

#6 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

this is what playoff football is supposed to be like....2 undefeated teams going at it in the 4th round....don't get no better if you like h.s. football...safe travels..little bit of a haul for y'all but looks like the weather is going to be unusually warm..unlike last years regional final with Lincolnton that was played with temps in the mid 20's.........maybe one day we can travel up to your area...Burnsville is a nice area of the state..........

#7 Cougars66

Cougars66

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:07 PM

this is what playoff football is supposed to be like....2 undefeated teams going at it in the 4th round....don't get no better if you like h.s. football...safe travels..little bit of a haul for y'all but looks like the weather is going to be unusually warm..unlike last years regional final with Lincolnton that was played with temps in the mid 20's.........maybe one day we can travel up to your area...Burnsville is a nice area of the state..........

would gladly move the game to here if you all want !!

#8 Tarheels

Tarheels

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Not hearing much from Reidsville fans? What's your thoughts and concerns? Cougs will be a different team from last year I think. Everybody is healthy and ready.

#9 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Most of the Reidsville fans are good respectable posters I have noticed. They get after Shelby pretty good. LOL. But generally they do their research well on the opposing team. I think they know we are a better this year, but I believe they were better last year. But there is a big gap in last years score to close. Will not know until Friday if we have made the necessary progress,

#10 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Most of the Reidsville fans are good respectable posters I have noticed. They get after Shelby pretty good. LOL. But generally they do their research well on the opposing team. I think they know we are a better this year, but I believe they were better last year. But there is a big gap in last years score to close. Will not know until Friday if we have made the necessary progress,

The defense is about the same as last years. The offense was better last year. 

#11 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Reidsville special teams are good this year but they were exceptional last year...I've seen a lot of great Reidsville football teams in my life and I think last years teams was the best ever.....the 2007 thru 2009 were almost as good but I give the nod to last years team............

#12 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

Last year was a very good team for sure. I remember how well the QB threw the ball and a very athletic defensive end or walk up linebacker that was extremely fast. And of course the RBs and receivers are always good. You cannot have turnovers and penalties against a team that good, and you guys made us pay every time.

#13 Pisgah Bears

Pisgah Bears

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Been close to fifty years since my Bears went to Reidsville.Lost 10-7 in a really good game.Mountain Heritage looked good against a Hendersonville team that I thought was the best team in our conference.Reidsville being at home should be the favorite but I kinda like MH chances.

#14 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Pisgah Bears...I did that game as a color announcer....I was 20 at the time....I'm 67 now...lol....that game was a real slobber knocker...both teams were used to scoring a lot of points but it didn't happen that nite...Rams were held in check until their last drive of the nite when a halfback pass from Lee Cobb (all-stater) to Steve Howard for a winning TD in the last 45 seconds of play.......trivia fact Lee Cobb's GRANDSON was last years MVP of the state 2A title game (Jaron Letterlough)........

That Pisgah game is still (at least to me), one of the top ten games of all time in Reidsville history.   Pisgah Bear, were you a player on that team or a fan??  If a fan did you attend??  The game was played at old Kiker stadium,,,now the site of townhouses.........Rams now play at a on campus facility......I still remember Pisgah running that Notre Dame Box....................

#15 Pisgah Bears

Pisgah Bears

JV Team

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

Pisgah Bears...I did that game as a color announcer....I was 20 at the time....I'm 67 now...lol....that game was a real slobber knocker...both teams were used to scoring a lot of points but it didn't happen that nite...Rams were held in check until their last drive of the nite when a halfback pass from Lee Cobb (all-stater) to Steve Howard for a winning TD in the last 45 seconds of play.......trivia fact Lee Cobb's GRANDSON was last years MVP of the state 2A title game (Jaron Letterlough)........

That Pisgah game is still (at least to me), one of the top ten games of all time in Reidsville history.   Pisgah Bear, were you a player on that team or a fan??  If a fan did you attend??  The game was played at old Kiker stadium,,,now the site of townhouses.........Rams now play at a on campus facility......I still remember Pisgah running that Notre Dame Box....................

No I graduated from Canton so I am older than you.The week before that game Reidsville came to Brevard and beat the Blue Devils the only team that had beat Pisgah that year.So we all knew they had to be really good and they were.Do remember that the Bears at the end threw a pass to the end zone that was knocked down by one of the Reidsville defenders.I too think that was one of my top games and I have seen a lot.The next year we won the Western District State Championship.Joe Compton who brought the box to Canton died last year .He was a hell of a coach lost three games in three years and that was one of them.Nothing but respect for your team and what they have done over the years.

#16 TGT

TGT

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

No I graduated from Canton so I am older than you.The week before that game Reidsville came to Brevard and beat the Blue Devils the only team that had beat Pisgah that year.So we all knew they had to be really good and they were.Do remember that the Bears at the end threw a pass to the end zone that was knocked down by one of the Reidsville defenders.I too think that was one of my top games and I have seen a lot.The next year we won the Western District State Championship.Joe Compton who brought the box to Canton died last year .He was a hell of a coach lost three games in three years and that was one of them.Nothing but respect for your team and what they have done over the years.

I've got that game on video with play by play dubbed in, part of a two-year state championship video.  The Reidsville Mount Airy game is also included.    I might try transferring it to YouTube one of these days.  RamBBQ, myself and master technician Tim Bates put that together after Reidsville won the 2002 and 2003 titles.  Is that your recollection BBQ?

#17 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

might've been a few yrs after that TGT.....PISGAH BEAR  the guy that knocked that pass down in the end zone at the very end was the very same Lee Cobb who had tossed the HB pass for the winning TD.....In regards to Brevard/Reidsville game the week before.....heavy rains fell the day before and the morning of that game in Brevard...and the Blue Devils actually tried to postpone the game a day....but the Rams players, band, and a lot of fans had already left for the long trip to Brevard (this was before the roads were all 4 lane and there was no such thing as a cell phone)....I remember the Reidsville/Brevard game was played on an extremely muddy field (Reidsville won 14-6) before a standing room only crowd.........

Ironically 2 of the players off of that Brevard team later became assistant coaches at Reidsville in the mid 80's......Ron Banther (who played at NCSU) and Gary Nelson (who kicked the winning FG versus Pisgah)......small world...........................

#18 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

I've got that game on video with play by play dubbed in, part of a two-year state championship video.  The Reidsville Mount Airy game is also included.    I might try transferring it to YouTube one of these days.  RamBBQ, myself and master technician Tim Bates put that together after Reidsville won the 2002 and 2003 titles.  Is that your recollection BBQ?

Any chance of getting a copy of this game film?

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

#19 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

cheerduck...my man TGT is the guy...I can't even find my copy of the games (1969 RSH/Mt. Airy and 1970 RSH/Pisgah)..lol....need another copy myself.....the film is of course in B&W...with no sound....except I added dialogue per TGT's play by play notes of the game itself....still pretty interesting as a historical type thing if nothing else....it does remind us of how the game was played almost 50 years...every team has QB under center with either split or I backfields....Defenses are all 6-2 except goal line when everyone played Gap 8.........In 1969 Reidsville snapped defending Western 3A  state champion Mount Airy's 20 some game winning streak 35-12 on MA home field...We had finished 2nd in the conf. to them that year (they had beaten us 14-0 on that same field earlier in the year)....Rams were lucky to even make playoffs..it just so happened that it was our conferences year to get 2 teams in playoffs........In 1970 Reidsville defeated a very strong (literally and figuratively) Pisgah team 10-7 in a low scoring but exciting affair....Would love for you to watch this film and get your feedback....You being an oldtimer like me.....lol.......

#20 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Rambbq,

Who has started the crazy thread on the other site about Reidsville not getting respect. Not sure where he is coming from, but you guys been top 3-5 in state all year and projected champions all year. What is he looking for us to cancel our trip and not come play the game?

#21 FBCapitalOfNC

FBCapitalOfNC

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

It's either a younger poster or a made up troll trying to get things started

#22 rambbq

rambbq

Established Member

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

yeah heritage 84....don't have a clue on that poster....we realize that the Rams get plenty of respect...and we got plenty for your squad that's coming in here friday...should be a great one....anticipation already building........................

#23 TGT

TGT

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Any chance of getting a copy of this game film?

I'm not sure I can do it ,  but I'll try to transfer VHS to digital.  I keep you posted.  Booster club was selling copies at one time.

#24 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

RAMBBQ, that's about what I was guessing. We are gonna just enjoy the opportunity to come in and do battle with a program like the Rams have. I expect a great atmosphere for Fridays game and hope we can bring a good crowd to Reidsville.

#25 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:49 PM

If you guys get down early enough I recommend Celtic Fringe, its an Irish pub with good Fish and chips, steak, burgers, etc. I plan on going there before the game if its not too crowded

JeffChapman-Dynamic