Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Glenn Wrestling Coach

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

http://www.journalno...91966f5a34.html

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

http://www.journalno...91966f5a34.html

The story says Maurice Atwood was suspended/removed from coaching Glenn High. It would have been his first year at the helm. If you will look in the comment section you will see his actual brother throwing him under the bus. I mean he lays the smack down on brother Maurice. Calls him a recruiter and cheater pretty much. But hey I have seen this brother bitter feud for many years.

Atwood is a tough love coach. When I mean tough, I mean tough. Old school. It will be interesting what he does after his time at Glenn. He has been in the Forsyth County system all his life. I doubt he will not be coaching next year but maybe his time in Forsyth is over. Open enrollment was good for his teams. They came to the legendary coach to get better.

#3 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Choice transfer did help out Coach Atwood tremendously at Parkland and West Forsyth everyone knows that .  I also think that Coach Atwood's time is over in Forsyth County, not sure where he will land and it is unclear at this point.  Funny thing is what did he do to get fired as the wrestling coach because from what I gather he has done nothing that he was not doing 10-15 years ago, or should the question should be who turned him in?  

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Choice transfer did help out Coach Atwood tremendously at Parkland and West Forsyth everyone knows that .  I also think that Coach Atwood's time is over in Forsyth County, not sure where he will land and it is unclear at this point.  Funny thing is what did he do to get fired as the wrestling coach because from what I gather he has done nothing that he was not doing 10-15 years ago, or should the question should be who turned him in?

Mustang, you have been around Maurice Atwood enough to know more about the situation in Forsyth County and all the transfers. But honestly while he was at Parkland he had little issue as they only trickled into the program. Some came and it was overlooked due to the introduction of the IB program. Most were already there on campus. I remember some transferred from Parkland to West Forsyth when he moved. Have no idea what occurred this year with transfers to Glenn. But I do know his brother Greg has been very active in contacting the county AD and the state association. One assumes any West transfers would get a bit more vocal attention being a more affluent school.

Like both of us have stated, he is most likely finished coaching in Forsyth County. Only one coach in any sport in North Carolina has won more titles than Maurice Atwood and he no longer is active. I don't think we will see the end of Atwood nor the end of the titles. 4A is the weakest classification in wrestling and Atwood will pick a school and within three years have them in the title match.

#5 Mustang sally

Mustang sally

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

GDG What I was saying was this, wrestlers did leave Parkland to go to West now I am not saying there was anything illegal because I do not knows what happened.  But I am sure that Parkland did express their concern with the County Office on why these kids left and nothing was done.  Looks like the same thing was happening here , Coach Atwood left West Forsyth and what it looks like some wrestlers were going to leave West Forsyth to go to Glenn and West expressed concerns then Atwood was let go.  So either there was a different circumstance or it just matters who expresses a concern 

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

GDG What I was saying was this, wrestlers did leave Parkland to go to West now I am not saying there was anything illegal because I do not knows what happened.  But I am sure that Parkland did express their concern with the County Office on why these kids left and nothing was done.  Looks like the same thing was happening here , Coach Atwood left West Forsyth and what it looks like some wrestlers were going to leave West Forsyth to go to Glenn and West expressed concerns then Atwood was let go.  So either there was a different circumstance or it just matters who expresses a concern

Only Maurice Atwood can answer why. I’m sure that will not happen while he is still a teacher at Glenn. The fact is it’s open enrollment and two dates you can transfer if both admins agree. The diffence would be if they were having conversations with the athletes, to include the assistants that continuously follow Atwood. I am not in that circle and if I were I would respect anything that I was told was to be kept private. Atwood has had a lot of pull in the wrestling community and it has annoyed a lot of fans and coaches. But the fact is he built that pull by winning, and winning with no middle school wrestling.

JeffChapman-Dynamic