Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Murphy @ North Stanly

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:13 PM

There should really be 6 classes come playoff time, and don't worry about class in each conference. set the cutoff at specific numbers of enrollment, and do realignment every year. That way you'll always be playing where you truly belong.

Division 1 - 1-400
Division 2 - 401-750
Division 3 - 751-1100
Division 4 - 1101-1350
Division 5 - 1351-1700
Division 6 - 1701+

I like this alot. It shouldn't matter the size of the school in the conference. Geography, natural rivals and travel time should be the top concerns then size. I would say make the divisions about 400 kids that way the D6 is closer . 

Division 1 - 1-400

Division 2 - 401-800
Division 3 - 801-1200
Division 4 - 1201-1600
Division 5 - 1601-2000
Division 6 - 2001+ 

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#77 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

It is not that difficult to seed these split conferences. make any split conference have at least three of each class. Then the odds of there being a a true conference champ is higher. Seed based only on the record against other teams in the same class. 

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#78 SMCdogfan

SMCdogfan

Established Member

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed this year's 1A playoffs. To say they are weak is just flat out wrong. The west has 3 teams that have been in the top 10 in most 1A/1AA rankings all season still playing. Cherokee, Robbinsville, and Mitchell are all fine football teams.

Whoever comes out of that bracket will have Earned the right to represent the west in the 1A State championship game. I don't understand the hate, I think it's more jealousy because your team is always playing basketball this time of year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#79 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed this year's 1A playoffs. To say they are weak is just flat out wrong. The west has 3 teams that have been in the top 10 in most 1A/1AA rankings all season still playing. Cherokee, Robbinsville, and Mitchell are all fine football teams.

Whoever comes out of that bracket will have Earned the right to represent the west in the 1A State championship game. I don't understand the hate, I think it's more jealousy because your team is always playing basketball this time of year.

I would have prefered four rounds of 16 in each subdivision but that makes the line of the right team being in the playoff and being left out tight.  To go to that I would like to see the qualifying really tweaked.

#80 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

There should really be 6 classes come playoff time, and don't worry about class in each conference. set the cutoff at specific numbers of enrollment, and do realignment every year. That way you'll always be playing where you truly belong.

Division 1 - 1-400
Division 2 - 401-750
Division 3 - 751-1100
Division 4 - 1101-1350
Division 5 - 1351-1700
Division 6 - 1701+

I like this alot. It shouldn't matter the size of the school in the conference. Geography, natural rivals and travel time should be the top concerns then size. I would say make the divisions about 400 kids that way the D6 is closer . 

Division 1 - 1-400

Division 2 - 401-800
Division 3 - 801-1200
Division 4 - 1201-1600
Division 5 - 1601-2000
Division 6 - 2001+ 

Stay with the current four classes but divided into four equal numbers of football playing schools.  Qualify 92 teams.  48 teams per each class.  Divide them into six divisions.  D1 largest 32, D6 smallest 32.  Five rounds.  Two championships sites.  

If not they need to go to football being aligned totally separate than the other sports.  Football does not need to rely on distance as much to determine conferences.  I think school enrollment is a bigger concern.  I would like that with smaller number of conference members to allow the schools to set up the non conference games they like which could be rivalries, gates, competition, travel, et al.  Some schools (ADs and coaches) do not like small conference because they struggle for non conference games.  Nothing is perfect but we must make it better than it is.

#81 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,522 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

There is some large number discrepancies in enrollment in the state. Just a thought, since Paul asked the question. What if they left the split at 20/30/30/20, but did away with the A-AA in 1A and 4A. To offset that, they could go back to 32 teams in the playoffs with no byes. Conference champions automatic seeding in all divisions, then let Max Preps set the remaining field. Is there normally more than 32 deserving teams in 1A or 4A, if they went to this scenario? There would have to be something different done for split conferences, but a 1 win team in a split conference should not get a top seed. Maybe just guarantee them a spot. If a 1A and 2A team actually tie for the conference championship, go to overall record and if that is a tie, then maybe both get a high seed.

Of course this is a dead horse, we have all discussed for some time now.

Oh and I am not answering for Magnum either. LOL     

Here is where they missed the solution in my opinion.  1A and 4A should have had the 30% and subdivided.  2A and 3A at 20% of the teams in each class would have made the difference from the smallest to largest school enrollment very tight.  That is the complaint and the reason for subdividing, too much discrepancy between the smallest and largest schools.  In 4A there are schools with 1,700 students and 3,300 students.  In 1A I expect the largest school is in the 700 range  1A will always be tough because of the very small schools that are below 400 especially closer to and below 300.

Now the big issues.  In order to what I noted above would not work for non football sports.  That is the hitch and as the NCAA knows.  Football is different and trying to work it in with all other sports causes too many issues.  Once again, football needs to be aligned separately.  Note this was brought to the schools and recommended three years ago by the NCHSAA admin at region meetings.  Schools were against for various reason but the most noted example was it would be very confusing.  Really!?!?!

#82 roadglide32

roadglide32

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

Boy has this thread ventured off topic.

#83 OneNotDone

OneNotDone

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

This thread is getting more reply’s and views then the thread for Murphy’s game this week. Haha

#84 Magnum

Magnum

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:30 PM

So going by you're assessment of Mitchell being the only decent team in the 1a playoffs, then we can come to the conclusion that the 1aa is weak because Tarboro is the strongest team. 2a must be pretty damn weak because Reidsville has no competition in the forseeable future. And Moving on up, 2aa is pathetic because no one stands a chance against Shelby. 3a is ridiculously weak with all teams playing 2nd fiddle to Charlotte Catholic. 3aa actually looks competitive, with no big blowout wins yet. 4a is patheticly weak with absolutely no one coming close to Scotland County. And last we come to 4aa, and we all know whos coming out of that bracket unscathed. All of NC football is pitiful I cant believe anyone even bothers fielding a team other than Shelby, Mallard Creek, and any team that falls in the 3aa range.

The difference in all the teams that you mentioned is that there is a ton more competition in their divisions that could beat them. That's evidenced by what happened to South Point. Mitchell has by far the weakest path to a state title. You can not deny that. You got a bye then some home school team for the 2nd rd. Next you get a very average Robbinsville team. After that another average team TJ or Cherokee. Compare that to let's say Heritage. First rd they play a decent team. 2nd rd a very good team. 3rd rd another very good team. After that they get undefeated Reidsville. It's like this in every bracket but small 1A. In Mitchell defence it's like this about every year. The state really needs to come up with something better. Maybe what you mentioned with 5-6 classifications.

#85 Mmshomer

Mmshomer

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 PM

The path is relative to your division. When you are a small school and you are the 1 seed it doesn't mean you need to move them up a division. In each division there is a favorite team. That doesn't mean the others are horrible. Mitchell hopefully can keep this one close but robbinsville is a quality team. Whomever wins Cherokee is a quality team. Thomas Jefferson is a quality team. Could any of our teams jump up and win in 2a playoffs? No, that's why they have divisions. Mitchell's path relative to there ability is just as tough as any one else's. Maybe more so than reidsville or tarboro. Now last year was bad in terms of blowout first rd games, however mics vs Murphy was a great game. Unfortunately Mitchell vs Murphy wasn't as close as it probably could've been. Credit Murphy, but we had a championship decided by a 1 point. I think the real issue is charter, prep and home school like teams. Some of them are so terrible they create horrible games where no one gets better. Others recruit the best talent in their area and create an unfair advantage in small ball. Those schools that recruit should have their own division or have to play in 4a. This really comes into play in basketball.

JeffChapman-Dynamic