Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Basketball Season is Just Around the Corner!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

For many high schools (such as McDowell) football season winding down is a good thing so we can focus on some hoops! 

Some teams to watch this season include-

4A

SW Guilford

Butler

West Forsyth 

Heritage 

McDowell

Independence

North Meck

Millbrook

Leesville Rd

Seventy First

3A

Freedom

Cox Mill

Eastern Guilford

Southern Durham

Orange 

Hickory 

Weddington

Kings Mtn

North Henderson

2A

Owen

East Rutherford 

Clinton

Shelby

Lincolnton

North Surry

Northside Jax

Forest Hills

Kinston

Thomasville

1A

WS Prep

Lincoln Charter

Whiteville

Mt Airy

North Stanly

Riverside

Alleghany

Kestrel Heights

Avery County

SE Halifax

What other teams could make noise this year?

#2 sportsbroadcaster1

sportsbroadcaster1

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

In the 3A until proving otherwise I would put Cox Mill above everyone else. Its hard to believe but Cox Mill has got even better compered to last year championship team. In the 4A keep an eye on Hickory Ridge both the boys and the girls team. They boy team will have athletic Jerald Gardner he is very good defender plus he is a great dunker. As far Hickory Ridge girls temp they are returning 99% of the starter from.last year team that went 34-1

#3 Steve Johnston

Steve Johnston

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

3A- Cox Mill will be fascinating to watch this year with both Black and Moore they should dominate.
1A- North Rowan? Not sure what they have returning but they have a real good coach and always seem to have athletes all over the place

#4 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

In the NPC boys conference I’m not sure who’s got what but as for the girls I’m already looking for the showdown of Carson against N. Iredell. That will be the teams to watch.

#5 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

North Iredell ladies received a 7th rank in Charlotte Observer Sweet 16 poll which includes all classes,,4a,3a etc. Cant wait! Not sure about NI"S boys. They have a little more talent than last year but several juniors with this being their first year of varsity experience. Feeling a .500 season for the boys....have no clue about the Rowan teams with this being first year of the new NPC.

#6 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:28 AM

Just want to add that both SW Guilford and Northside-Jax are 3A.  Nice list though.  Saw a few of those teams yesterday at the PHR jamboree.

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,508 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:25 AM

Cox Mill plays Providence Day. Should be a great matchup!

#8 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

1A will have to go through Lincoln Charter again this year. They virtually return everyone I think.

#9 Buck

Buck

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

I heard two of Avery Counties players transferred to Cloudland last week.  Has anyone else heard anything about this?

#10 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

I have heard 2 to Cloudland for school related issues, 1 to Mitchell for possible football/basketball and another in the past couple weeks to Mitchell for mainly basketball. Not sure how many of these players were starters, but at least 1 would have gotten a lot of playing time this year. I would think Avery, Mtn. Heritage , Mitchell and Owen may all have pretty good teams this year.

Heritage is still young, with only 3 senior starters returning, along with 2 underclassmen starters, but very talented underclassmen to give the team great depth this year or possibly even work into starting roles. Depth should not be an issue for the Cougars, but the football playoffs may hinder a few of the players from hitting the ground running in basketball this year. By a couple of weeks into the season, Heritage should be hard to handle, in the WHC and in 2A.

#11 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Lots of issues at Avery that I will not get into here but yes they have have quite a few leave the program for various reasons. With these loses and the kid from Owen leaving the basketball program to go to Christ School I think Heritage should be the best team in the WHC. Some of tose underclassmen are special. But then again I didnt think they would have lost to Mitchell last season either. As far as Mitchell goes I really dont have a good feel for them, they could have a good team but as 84 stated football may hinder the development of the team.

On the womens side Avery returns most from a very deep team that went deep into the playoffs, Heritage is well Heritge and seems to be very consistent and always a threat. Then you have Owen who returns possibly the best big girl in the conference as well as a couple of really good guards but they do hve a new coach so who knows how that will play out. Mitchell returns their top 8 players from last season as has added a couple of talented freshman so they could make some noise. All in all itshould be an interesting year in the WHC.

#12 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the input on the WHC. McDowell plays Mitchell pretty early in the season (Dec 1) on the road. McDowell has 3 solid guards returning but may struggle some in the post.

#13 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the input on the WHC. McDowell plays Mitchell pretty early in the season (Dec 1) on the road. McDowell has 3 solid guards returning but may struggle some in the post.

Hopefully this game will be rescheduled. This will be the west finals in football. 

#14 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

South Iredell will Scrimmage AC this week.....Also Mooresville girls will host a Jamboree and Boys from Mooresville will be at Berry HS

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#15 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Games start next week! I will try to keep threads up each week updating scores of interest, if y'all dont mind try to invite more people from the football boards here.. Its amazing how many more people are on there..

#16 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

I will be here in basketball pretty consistent!

#17 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Does anyone know how South Iredell boys and girls do in the conference? I know last year the JVs both girls and boys did real well. I know with the varsity girls I look for both North Iredell and Carson will be your top teams.

#18 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Val, I saw South alot last year. They have two great guards in Alex Angle and Zane Haglan who are extra quick, good shooters and both have alot of varsity experience. Also have a good athletic post player with Stone Dyson. They should be pretty good but I don't know Carson or West Rowan. I know East Rowan has been weak. I look for South'boys to be pretty good.
As for the ladies, they look young but they do have a sophomore guard named Sarah who can play. She played all summer with North's top three girls on same aau team. I saw her alot this summer. She has great attitude and is an above avg player. Ladies will probably be around .500.

#19 SMC-NUT

SMC-NUT

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

Cherokee girls and boys will both be better than last year.....and they both won the conference last year.

Girls seem to have almost everyone back and the boys added a Mississippi transfer to their already strong lineup. Watch out

#20 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Val, I saw South alot last year. They have two great guards in Alex Angle and Zane Haglan who are extra quick, good shooters and both have alot of varsity experience. Also have a good athletic post player with Stone Dyson. They should be pretty good but I don't know Carson or West Rowan. I know East Rowan has been weak. I look for South'boys to be pretty good.
As for the ladies, they look young but they do have a sophomore guard named Sarah who can play. She played all summer with North's top three girls on same aau team. I saw her alot this summer. She has great attitude and is an above avg player. Ladies will probably be around .500.

#21 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

Thanks NPCFAN for the info. I may be wrong but did someone from South transfer to Lake Norman? It seems like I seen or heard that from someone. I could be wrong on that.

#22 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Actually read that last night on another chat board but was first I heard. Not sure who they were referring to. No name was given.

#23 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

Cherokee girls and boys will both be better than last year.....and they both won the conference last year.

Girls seem to have almost everyone back and the boys added a Mississippi transfer to their already strong lineup. Watch out

It really stinks for the 1A public schools that the charter and prep schools usually dominate..

#24 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Actually read that last night on another chat board but was first I heard. Not sure who they were referring to. No name was given.

I believe they were referring to Haglan.  

#25 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

I'll try my best to keep this board warm as well.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic