Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Hickory Hawks

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Established Member

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Does anyone know anything about this team. After going to their website,the Black Knight faithful may be in for a long ride home. The Hawks were the 2016 NACA National Champions last year and ranked #2 in the NATION for independent football .The only common team to the SMC is the Carolina Gladiators.. Hickory beat them 58-6

#2 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Haven't seen them this year. Last year they were a talented athletic group
The coach is good and has a very deep playbook

#3 DaBluePrint1

DaBluePrint1

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hickory Hawks loss to West Iredell pretty bad. It took West Iredell til Overtime to beat N.Iredell. North Iredell is awful and hasnt won a game in almost 2 yrs. If Its close between Robbinsville and Hickory Hawks, I would be shocked!!

#4 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

42-07

#5 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

I have not heard anything about them or the Carolina Gladiators.....

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

Carolina us the worst team ive seen all year beside N.G.
Hickory will be much better than Carolina.

#7 Magnum

Magnum

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Why does the SMC teams continue to play these awful home schools teams so much?

#8 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Because of several factors. Travel, JV availability, and larger classifications not wanting to run the risk of losing to a 1A team. Realignment hurts also.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#9 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

Most schools that play each other on varsity also play each other on Thursday. The SMC doesnt have JVs. Therefore a school that plays a SMC team most also find another team to play their jvs.

#10 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Bigger schools don't want to play us SMC teams becuase they are scared to get beat. Hurts their playoff chances. SMC conference is one of the best in the state and we consistently have to play schools from out of state or these teams. Atleast local 2a and 3a schools are willing to book 2-3 games per season.

#11 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

We have JV's in the SMC but they are 9th and 8th graders with a few 7th graders.

#12 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

It's not JVs. Its really called junior high football. That's why we can only play other SMC teams. We all refer to it as JVs, myself included.

#13 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

That is the point i was making. MAny coaches won't schedule a game unless they get a JV game as well. Since the SMC plays 7-9th they can't play other schools who don't.

P.R. Graham

SMC

#14 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

I was telling swaindad.

#15 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

so was I....LOL

I'm trying to get our AD at Fairview to talk to SMC teams about scheduling some of the SMC 7th and 8th ers to play the Jackson County middle School team.

P.R. Graham

SMC

#16 Magnum

Magnum

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:29 AM

Bigger schools don't want to play us SMC teams becuase they are scared to get beat. Hurts their playoff chances. SMC conference is one of the best in the state and we consistently have to play schools from out of state or these teams. Atleast local 2a and 3a schools are willing to book 2-3 games per season.

Do you really believe that? ACR plays teams like Shelby and Watagua. They would not be afraid of the SMC. They would curb stomp any team in the SMC.

#17 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Ask Reynolds about Swain.

#18 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

Magnum - Careful there have been some teams in your area that have been curb stomped by SMC Teams.  Swain and Murphy have beat some teams in your neck of the woods.  ACR has a stud team right now but go ahead and put Swain on the schedule sometime over the next few years and see what happens.  Talk to the coach there and ask him to invite Swain to play.  2019 + 2020 seasons.  Not being cocky or saying Swain will win but this would be some great games!  

#19 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

Ask Reynolds about Swain.

Exactly........well said

#20 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Ask Asheville about having a losing record to the SMC. If you think that Murphy can't play with ACR you're watching different football than the rest of us.

P.R. Graham

SMC

#21 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:57 AM

Paul I do believe that Murphy's offense when clicking can score points against ACR, but if their defense is struggling the way some fans are describing, I'm not sure the offense can carry the load and score enough to stay in the game with Reynolds. At least this year. Last year I think the Murphy defense seemed to be stronger. Do you think that they lost some of their key defensive identity with graduation last year or just going through a little tough patch this year?

#22 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

I know that question wasn't directed at me, but i will give my personal opinion. Yes, losing Adam Powell and a few others on the defensive side was huge. Murphys defense played well against Pisgah and Franklin, but has regressed ever since. Last night was proof the offense isn't always going to be able to bail the defense out. Swain ran the veer to perfection and ran it at will against Murphy. Murphy has yet to be able to put the "total" package on the field. Its extremely late in the season and time is running out. From what I have seen in the past 3 or 4 games, a couple of playoff wins for Murphy should be about it. Just dont see a championship drive for this team.

#23 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck to you guys. I'd have to agree that I did not see defensive struggles in the TV game I got to see earlier in the year. Not sure how many guys you have going both ways, but the season may be wearing on them as it does many teams. I think the 1A playoff bracket is going to be fun, not to mention the last 2 weeks of the SMC.

#24 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

The playoff seeding will be very interesting for sure. Thanks, good luck to you guys also.

#25 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:40 PM

Im not taking anything away from Murphy’s defense! I thought they played extremely hard against our veer. They were physical and very disciplined. Credit has to be given to our offensive line in this Murphy game. But the major difference over the last three weeks are our starting sophomore (Brooks) and freshman (Sain) running backs. They are hitting those holes very hard and they run aggressive. This opens up that veer with our senior quarterback (Bowman). I don’t think we have ever had such a young backfield showing this ability and skill.

JeffChapman-Dynamic