Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Community Using Leverage For Coaching Changes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SPRedRaider

SPRedRaider

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

I stumbled across a Change.org plea last night from a local Gaston County community seeking petitioners to sign demanding change at the local high school. No sport in specific; but an entire athletic department overhaul. Kind of struck me wrong, thoughts.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...

#2 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Change.org...lol

Sounds like a bunch of parents who's little Johnny or Jane isn't getting playing time and wants participation trophys for everyone.

#3 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

After reading the petition I stand semi corrected.
If they get the reaction they want with this from the community amd presented to the administration and or board properly it could become a game changer with communities.

Unfortunately for them their are more schools than they know with freshman and sophomore playing varsity and that's a numbers game to keep programs running.

It doesn't sound to me that the parents that are concerned have gone to the right people or of they did theu got responses they didn't like

It will be interesting to see where this goes and how it ays out

#4 Mint Hill

Mint Hill

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

How do you find the petition? I have kids in Gaston County.

#5 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

go to change.org and then search for gaston   its there

#6 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Below is a link

https://www.change.o...emands-a-change

#7 Mint Hill

Mint Hill

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

wow.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

I see nothing wrong with the petition. Don’t sound like made up stuff at all. Looks like they want a athletic director and work down. Correct me if I’m wrong but East Gaston isn’t worth a dung in any sport. Of course moral is low. Should have fired the AD when the wrestling coach got by with molesting boys for years until his recent conviction.

East Gaston was once a state football champ and dominant wrestling program. Other sports fed off them. I hope they get change. If employees don’t produce in the private sector they hit the streets and it sure don’t take a petition. Sign baby sign.

#9 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

I'm not familiar with the entire East Gaston situation, however, I will be following this and it does sound like they have legitimate issues. Like I said before maybe they tried to address it another way first, I don't know that answer.

The concern that I have is say a group of disgruntled parents try something like this at another school just because they are unhappy with said department or coach or whatever because of playing time or little Johnny got bullied by the big bad coach because the coach keeps yelling at the kids and it's unfair.

Unfortunately,imo, I can see that day coming if the parents in this group get it done this way

Where will it stop.

#10 SPRedRaider

SPRedRaider

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

I see nothing wrong with the petition. Don’t sound like made up stuff at all. Looks like they want a athletic director and work down. Correct me if I’m wrong but East Gaston isn’t worth a dung in any sport. Of course moral is low. Should have fired the AD when the wrestling coach got by with molesting boys for years until his recent conviction.

East Gaston was once a state football champ and dominant wrestling program. Other sports fed off them. I hope they get change. If employees don’t produce in the private sector they hit the streets and it sure don’t take a petition. Sign baby sign.

EG once was a perennial wrestling power; although, they have never won a state tile in football. They have always had talent and still do. Just can never seem to find the right combinations of coach/player to build anything. That started to happen with Lloyd but everyone with sense knew EG was stepping stone for him to get back to his roots in Cleveland County. 

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...

#11 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

I’ve seen the petition; it is poorly written at best and not 100% factual. I tend to agree with the part about the program spiraling into the abyss, but leadership is only one of the reasons.

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,528 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

This is utter BS. Ok, let’s say these fans achieve their goal of relieving the coach and possibly the AD, then tell me what good coach that’s worth a damn will want to jump into that situation, knowing that one false move and you’re starting a petition to remove him.

This is not the way to make this a better situation.

Sean Joyce is a great coach and he knows football, I guarantee it. You need a principal that’s willing to do EVERYTHING it takes to change the culture, not just folding to the wants and wishes of the uneducated fan.

Remember folks, this is HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL, where the coach’s FIRST JOB is to be a teacher in the classroom, wins are nice but there are more important things that can be taught than just winning.

#13 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

I agree with Chris and didn't know how to say it. Well said Chris. Also when these students get home from practice or a game I would be willing to bet my paycheck those parents do nothing but criticize the coaches in front of their kids. So what do you think happens to the kids attitude. They are not going to want to listen, go to practice, give 100% because mommy and daddy say the coach, and a.d. are idiots.

Part of sports has taught me that in life you are never going to have a perfect boss(coach) and sports taught me how to deal with it. But if the parents attitude stinks about the program the kids will never buy in. Its ok Johnny ,,,your the man but your coach stinks, teaches a child nothing.

#14 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Just when in the hell are these parents going to leave the coaching to the coaches and the teaching to the teachers?  It's happening everywhere and it needs to stop.  Maybe they should focus their efforts on making good citizens of their offspring as opposed to spoiled brats.

#15 EGFAN75

EGFAN75

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

We have basically the same problems we have every year.... low numbers, no depth and not much overall team speed. Except for a few exception years, it's been that way for 30 years. 

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Forget the football aspect. If the same administration is there when the wrestling coach was molesting 15 year old boys they should had the petition then. If kids 30 miles away are saying a coach is gay or a weirdo then why isn’t it obvious at the school. Somebody is talking to people right? That guy is serving time now but someone was not listening or ignored the problem. They didn’t mean he was gay. Gay implies he likes grown men, not children. Heads should have rolled then.

I said this before and here it is again. I have never been in favor of putting 14 year old freshman with 18 years on the same field. If the NCHSAA was the least bit concerned about football safety this would be banned. I think this is mentioned in the petition. I’m sure EG coaches are doing all they can given the circumstances and support. Change starts at the very top (administration).

#17 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,528 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

We have basically the same problems we have every year.... low numbers, no depth and not much overall team speed. Except for a few exception years, it's been that way for 30 years.

I agree, it’s nothing that can be fixed overnight. Most of the times when these kind of petitions are brought about, the major complainers are typically JV parents who have delusions that their 5’4, 145 lbs sons are college prospects and that the coach isn’t doing enough to forward their recruiting efforts. Many times these parents are tricked by street coaches or combines or recruiting experts who make them feel their kids are better than they are.

#18 wideout6

wideout6

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

This is beyond embarrassing for this community. Whoever wrote this petition and those that signed it can fix it easily..........MOVE.

#19 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Well, the parents and community members obviously know more about coaching then the coaches. Little Johnny is playing out of position, nobody comes to recruit the school, we have college prospects, etc. Total BS. I feel sorry for the coaches having to deal with these idiot fans. News flash! Not every kid is a college prospect no matter how many camps you take them to. And kids play where they can help the TEAM!! The only thing I could possibly agree on, is keeping kids down to gel together IF you as the coach, decide to build from the bottom up and sacrifice the varsity season. If you have decent amount of talent on JV, I can see doing that.

#20 lbedwards

lbedwards

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

A few thoughts regarding this petition.

First, as of today, there are 357 signatures to the petition. This sounds like a situation that is beyond one or two parents/players getting their feelings hurt as some have suggested. If there would have less than 50 signatures, I would agree that the situation is one or two disgruntled parents/players. Perhaps the community has sought change through the official chain-of-command only to have been ignored or dismissed. I wouldn't rule out that possibility. 

Second, I believe the authors err when they involve statements such as, "The athletic faculty and leadership has not shown that they care in the least and are on the defensive when asked about how we can improve the athletic program." They err in associating care with competence. Care involves an individual's emotional investment in the life of another. Competence relates to one's ability or inability to do a job.I have a problem with stating that people do not care. There are many people who care but are incompetent. There are many people who are competent but do not care. State your case about another's competence rationally and with supporting evidence but leave the care aspect out. The person(s) you assume do not care may care more than you know but they, too, have hands that are tied. If you want to argue from results that is fine because results can be quantified. 

Third, as EGFAN75 states, lack of sustained success has been a hallmark of E. Gaston football. The Carolina Preps database supports his statement. Since 1972, EG sports an all-time winning percentage of .347. Therefore, this problem has been established long before this petition was created. And who knows, maybe this petition initiates a transformation of the program?

Fourth, I would like to know the ways the authors and signers of this petition will be involved going forward? What resources will they pour into the program? What uniforms will they volunteer to wash and dry? What fields will they help mow, paint, and maintain? How many rides will they offer to practice during the Spring and Summer? How many rides home will they give during the Fall? How will they help in this process? To start a petition is one thing. To "sign" a petition online is another. But to get involved and do what you can to change the culture is a completely different discussion. One, that many do not want to have.

In principle, I have no problem with the petition in and of itself. I do believe their argument could have been sharper. I also think it could have been broadened to include the historical aspect going back to 1972. Sounds like a community that needs to have some honest, public, civil and respectful conversations.

#21 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Outside of a huge swing in talent level it starts at the youth and middle school teams. Most youth teams struggle to find coaches if you want to help the program help in the youth leagues.

#22 Coach_Putt

Coach_Putt

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

Forget the football aspect. If the same administration is there when the wrestling coach was molesting 15 year old boys they should had the petition then. If kids 30 miles away are saying a coach is gay or a weirdo then why isn’t it obvious at the school. Somebody is talking to people right? That guy is serving time now but someone was not listening or ignored the problem. They didn’t mean he was gay. Gay implies he likes grown men, not children. Heads should have rolled then.

I said this before and here it is again. I have never been in favor of putting 14 year old freshman with 18 years on the same field. If the NCHSAA was the least bit concerned about football safety this would be banned. I think this is mentioned in the petition. I’m sure EG coaches are doing all they can given the circumstances and support. Change starts at the very top (administration).

The current administration and AD were not there during that time...

JeffChapman-Dynamic