Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Best Conference in WNC so far

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

Who do y'all think the best conference in the mountains is this year?

The WMC is 12-21 as a whole, no undefeated teams
The Mountain 6 is 17-6 1 unfeated team (franklin)
The WHC is 13-8, 3 undefeated teams (Mountain Heritage, Mitchell and Polk)
The SMC is 11-13, 1 undefeated team (Cherokee)

Pound For Pound, who comes out on top? M6 has the most wins which says they are stronger top to bottom, WHC has the most undefeated which says they are top heavy, the SMC has possibly the best 1a team in the state, and 1 undefeated team, which says they are also top heavy, and the WMC has 2 Teams that stand out, but a bad losing record which tells me they are down big time this year. I think it would come down to the M6 and the WHC. If the top to bottom teams were matched up I think it would go like this:

Mountain Heritage 28
Franklin 27

Mitchell 35
Hendo 28

Pisgah 30
Polk 21

Brevard 42
Madison 32 we already saw this one lol

Smoky Mountain 35
Avery 14

East Henderson 21
Owen 14

4-2 in favor of the M6, but the top 2 matchups in favor of the WHC

#2 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Mountain 6 definitely seems to have the advantage as of now but the top is close. Mountain 6 is better in the middle with Brevard, Pisgah and Smoky Mountain 

#3 hhs_redscare0206

hhs_redscare0206

Established Member

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

This is why I love the WHC!!!!!! Way to give Mitchell the 1 TD edge haha. I wish we could play them this year man. That would be a goodie. Good luck to all of WHC this year, besides next week haha. Other than that, win them all. 

#4 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

It's hard to deduce any from the numbers alone. For example, here is part of the WMAC OOC schedule to date:

Southern Durham

Shelby

Crest

Knoxville Webb

North Davidson

Kings Mountain

Watauga 

Mountain Heritage

Pisgah

Franklin

Mitchell

Hendersonville

Numbers aside, you're going to be hard pressed to find a conference from top to bottom better than WMAC.

#5 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

If your talking best chance at a staye totle its smc.

#6 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Has to be the WMAC. Strength of schedule has to be included. Just look at Mitchell and MH schedule. Mitchell has played Erwin but the rest is terrible. Heritage has played a decent schedule. After that you have nothing.

#7 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Owen has played ACR and Hendo, with Brevard and Franklin coming up. Pretty tough schedule at a real bad time.

#8 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

If your talking best chance at a staye totle its smc.

No offense bit a really good middle school team would have a shot in small 1A.

#9 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Has to be the WMAC. Strength of schedule has to be included. Just look at Mitchell and MH schedule. Mitchell has played Erwin but the rest is terrible. Heritage has played a decent schedule. After that you have nothing.

I think you have to look at the quality of the depth of the conference too... Enka and North Buncombe are 2 of the worst teams in the mountains, and North Henderson isnt very good either. Tuscola and W Henderson are ok but nothing special

#10 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

Owen always plays tough teams, by the way Owen has a strong Jv team this year.

#11 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

I think you have to look at the quality of the depth of the conference too... Enka and North Buncombe are 2 of the worst teams in the mountains, and North Henderson isnt very good either. Tuscola and W Henderson are ok but nothing special

North Henderson and Tuscola beat Swain on their field. The devils are considered a to smc team. That shows you something right there.

#12 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

Lets compare the teams in the WHC vs the WMAC in a hypothetical match up scenario.

Start at the top.

MH vs ACR - In my opinion the top 2 teams in wnc...Draw leaning toward ACR though

Mitchell vs Erwin - I picked this matchup because its already happened....Slight edge Mitchell

Polk vs Asheville - I think Polk gives them good game but comes up short

Madison vs TCR - TCR rolls

Owen vs Tuscola.....WMAC advantage

Avery vs West Hendo - Again, WMAC advantage

North Hendo - Would most likely beat Avery, Madison, and Owen

Enka and NB.....Doesn't matter

I think this would be about the same for every other conference in WNC if I compared them to the WMAC. Top to bottom the WMAC is just stronger.

#13 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Owen has played ACR and Hendo, with Brevard and Franklin coming up. Pretty tough schedule at a real bad time.

That is tough schedule but the loss to Enka really stings. I feel for Owen though. Their best player sold out. If he is on the team they are competitive this season in most of their games.

#14 hhs_redscare0206

hhs_redscare0206

Established Member

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Lets compare the teams in the WHC vs the WMAC in a hypothetical match up scenario.

Start at the top.

MH vs ACR - In my opinion the top 2 teams in wnc...Draw leaning toward ACR though

Mitchell vs Erwin - I picked this matchup because its already happened....Slight edge Mitchell

I think this would be about the same for every other conference in WNC if I compared them to the WMAC. Top to bottom the WMAC is just stronger.

They should be stronger when they have 54 teams to choose to from.

#15 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

I agree. Had he his brother and the qb. stayed. We could be playing for at least 3rd in the WHC.

#16 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

They should be stronger when they have 54 teams to choose to from.

Exactly. Roberson is winless. Erwin is winless. Asheville got smacked by Franklin. Pisgah smacked Tuscola. Hendersonville demolished N. Hendo. Reynolds hasn't been as dominating as people thought they would be.

#17 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

Start at the top.

If you compare it to the 2A mountain 6 however..

Reynolds vs Franklin- Reynolds may have the slight advantage but Franklin is very good 

Hendersonville vs Erwin- Hendersonville should win this one pretty easily

Asheville vs Pisgah- Pisgah has the advantage here as well another for the m6

TCR vs Brevard- TCR has the slight advantage

Tuscola vs Smoky Mtn- Tuscola with the advantage here

East Hendo would beat Enka, North Buncombe most likely as well and nearly beat N Hendo

So overall a 2A conference is just as good or better than a 3A conference. 

#18 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Exactly. Roberson is winless. Erwin is winless. Asheville got smacked by Franklin. Pisgah smacked Tuscola. Hendersonville demolished N. Hendo. Reynolds hasn't been as dominating as people thought they would be.

Look at TCR, Erwin, and Asheville's schedule. The rest of WNC would have the same record or close. You HAVE to look at strength of schedule. That's like saying Wofford is on par with Florida State because they have a better record.

#19 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

Roberson played Watauga, Crest, Kings Mountain and Asheville. 90% of teams in WNC would be winless.

Erwin played ACR, Mountain Heritage and Mitchell. Again, nearly 90% of teams in WNC would be winless.

Asheville and Tuscola did get smacked by Franklin and Pisgah but Franklin and Pisgah are poised to finish at the top of their conference and Asheville and Tuscola are going to be lucky to finish 4th and 5th.

If we really want to use transitive property, Hendersonville just may win the Mountain 6 and they beat a WH team by 1 on a game West gave away. WH is probably finishing 4th or 5th in the WMAC. I'm with Magnum, there may not be any star teams outside of ACR but from top to bottom, lining every team up, the WMAC is strongest in the middle.

#20 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

If you compare it to the 2A mountain 6 however..

Reynolds vs Franklin- Reynolds may have the slight advantage but Franklin is very good

Hendersonville vs Erwin- Hendersonville should win this one pretty easily

Asheville vs Pisgah- Pisgah has the advantage here as well another for the m6

TCR vs Brevard- TCR has the slight advantage

Tuscola vs Smoky Mtn- Tuscola with the advantage here

East Hendo would beat Enka, North Buncombe most likely as well and nearly beat N Hendo

So overall a 2A conference is just as good or better than a 3A conference.

ACR over Franklin
Asheville vs Pisgah is very close
North Hendo over East Hendo...

Still goes WMAC way.

#21 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

Roberson played Watauga, Crest, Kings Mountain and Asheville. 90% of teams in WNC would be winless.

Erwin played ACR, Mountain Heritage and Mitchell. Again, nearly 90% of teams in WNC would be winless.

Asheville and Tuscola did get smacked by Franklin and Pisgah but Franklin and Pisgah are poised to finish at the top of their conference and Asheville and Tuscola are going to be lucky to finish 4th and 5th.

If we really want to use transitive property, Hendersonville just may win the Mountain 6 and they beat a WH team by 1 on a game West gave away. WH is probably finishing 4th or 5th in the WMAC. I'm with Magnum, there may not be any star teams outside of ACR but from top to bottom, lining every team up, the WMAC is strongest in the middle.

Totally agree. It cracks me up when wlos and others do their rankings and they don't look at strength of schedule at all.

#22 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

I am considering SOS in this argument. Franklin and Pisgah have played some tough teams as well beating bigger 3A schools. Hendersonville has played one of the toughest teams in the state in Charlotte Christian. Yes Roberson has played a tough schedule but they also lost to Asheville who would be 3rd or 4th in the Mountain 6. Erwin should still be beating Mitchell and not losing to Heritage by 40. When you have the athletes and enrollment the Asheville schools have it is NO EXCUSE!  

#23 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

McDowell is the largest school in WNC and they always lose to those schools. You know everything in your mind and nothing in reality.

#24 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I am considering SOS in this argument. Franklin and Pisgah have played some tough teams as well beating bigger 3A schools. Hendersonville has played one of the toughest teams in the state in Charlotte Christian. Yes Roberson has played a tough schedule but they also lost to Asheville who would be 3rd or 4th in the Mountain 6. Erwin should still be beating Mitchell and not losing to Heritage by 40. When you have the athletes and enrollment the Asheville schools have it is NO EXCUSE!

What's McDowell's excuse?

#25 Owen Stampede

Owen Stampede

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

We suck this year but if we can keep our kids in the future we will turn it around. I'm not sure McDowell will ever get there despite having 3 x's the enrollment we do.

JeffChapman-Dynamic