Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

SUPER 25 POLL: Week Four

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 221 posts
  • Email:scvarsity@sc.rr.com

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Super 25 Week Two

The SUPER 25 is shaping up to demonstrate the strongest teams in the state and we are getting a good look at the teams who will be playing deep in the playoffs. The interesting thing about the poll at this point is the presence of several schools from smaller classifications.

THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE
South Pointe entered this season at the No. 2 spot behind Dutch Fork and they moved in comfortably to the top spot when Dutch Fork lost to Fort Dorchester, as the Patriots also moved up into the No. 2 spot. The Byrnes Rebels are at No. 3 and I'm not so sure they aren't the best 5A team in the state right now.

SMALL SCHOOLS MAKING NOISE
While most think the Super 25 should be mostly the 5A and 4A schools, there are two 3A teams, two 2A teams, and one 1A team among the best. If you don't think the Chapman Panthers belong at the No. 7 spot, you haven't seen them play. 3A Dillon is at NO. 9 and deservedly so; 2A Abbeville is at No. 10 and can play with anyone in the state. 2A Carvers Bay is at No. 24 and one of the best ground game teams in the state, losing to a very good North Myrtle Beach team this week. 1A Lamar is at No. 25, unbeaten and we all know they are capable of competing with the big boys.

EMPRIRES CRUMBLING
By now everyone knows that Dorman and Spartanburg have dropped to 0-2 on the season and both have tumbled out of the polls. I'm not as concerned about Dorman, as they have faced two powerhouse opponents in their first two weeks and simply have not put together "finishes" to their games.  Spartanburg, on the other hand, has given up a lot of ground yardage with their defense and and their offense has sputterd, making things even worse for their struggling defense. .

RANK TEAM RECORD
1 SOUTH POINTE STALLIONS (4A) 4-0
2 FORT DORCHESTER PATRIOTS (5A) 4-0
3 BYRNES REBELS (5A) 4-0
4 SPRING VALLEY VIKINGS (5A) 4-0
5 CONWAY TIGERS (5A) 4-0
6 T.L. HANNA 4-0
7 CHAPMAN PANTHERS (3A) 4-0
8 DUTCH FORK SILVER FOXES (5A) 1-1
9 DILLON WILDCATS (3A) 4-0
10 ABBEVILLE PANTHERS (2A) 4-0
11 GREENWOOD EAGLES (5A) 3-0
12 IRMO (5A) 4-0
13 NORTH MYRTLE BEACH CHIEFS (4A) 4-0
14 BOILING SPRINGS (5A) 3-1
15 SOCASTEE BRAVES (5A) 3-0
16 WHITE KNOLL TIMBERWOLVES (5A) 4-0
17 NORTH AUGUSTA YELLOW JACKETS (4A) 3-0
18 SUMTER GAMECOCKS (5A) 3-1
19 SOUTH AIKEN THOROUGHBREDS (4A) 3-1
20 HARTSVILLE RED FOXES (4A) 3-1
BELTON-HONEA PATH BEARS (4A) 3-1
22 NORTHWESTERN TROJANS (5A) 2-2
23 SPARTANBURG VIKINGS (5A) 2-2
24 CARVERS BAY BEARS (2A) 3-1
25 LAMAR SILVER FOXES (1A) 4-0

VIEW ALL OF THE TOP TEN POLLS AT THE BELOW LINKS

#2 SC Dominates NC

SC Dominates NC

JV Team

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Not sure why Strom Thurmond was deleted from this poll, but i guess it is what it is. We went from #23 in week 2, to know poll in week 3, and dropped off the poll in week 4 with a 3-0 record.....

#3 SC Dominates NC

SC Dominates NC

JV Team

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

Unbelievable, but expected...at the end of the day, i guess these polls don't really mean anything, but its always great to see how folks view the team you love and support. All i can say is keep winning ST and maybe, just maybe your hard work will pay off with a litttle respect.

#4 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

Unbelievable, but expected...at the end of the day, i guess these polls don't really mean anything, but its always great to see how folks view the team you love and support. All i can say is keep winning ST and maybe, just maybe your hard work will pay off with a litttle respect.

C'mon man! I've got them No. 3 in 3A. Who else has them that high?

#5 SC Dominates NC

SC Dominates NC

JV Team

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'm not complaining, just asking how they went from 23 to off and other teams put on the list with a loss and in some situations, multiple losses. As far as #3 in 3A, that is the highest ranking anywhere else. The state wide poll has them at #4.

If they are not deserving of the rank, that's fine, but I'm not following the logic of being dropped out of a poll for having a bye week and then winning the next week.

#6 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm not complaining, just asking how they went from 23 to off and other teams put on the list with a loss and in some situations, multiple losses. As far as #3 in 3A, that is the highest ranking anywhere else. The state wide poll has them at #4.

If they are not deserving of the rank, that's fine, but I'm not following the logic of being dropped out of a poll for having a bye week and then winning the next week.

I think that they and Brookland-Cayce from 3A are both right there. BC lost to a mediocre Lexington team, granted they are 5A but not extremely talented right now. Strom Thurmond struggled a little with a Midland Valley team that, in my opinion, they should have put away easily. I do know that is a rival game and the Mustangs will play their best against the Rebels, but if you're a Power 25 team, you should dispose of teams like that. As for the teams with losses, take a look at the make up of those teams and then WHO they lost to and how. 

The Power 25 poll is a speculative poll, not based necessarily on records alone. All-class inclusive is apples and oragens so it is not a science. I try to consider the strength of the schedule, the make up of the team, the details of the games they played (how dominate they may be or how they perhaps struggled). 

Hope that makes a little sense. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic