Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Baxter's Blitz - Class 4A Week 4

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 180 posts
  • Email:scvarsity@sc.rr.com

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

National high school football analyst Jim Baxter breaks down all of the action in South Carolina and here's a look at the Week Four Action from the Class 4A.

REGION 1
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
BHP lost to 5A power Hanna 33-14.  In the big scheme of things, this game means little, other than the fact that the Bears will take on all comers.
Wren beat Easley 29-26 to go to 3-1 This team is getting better as region play begins. The win over Easley was a good win against a physical team.
Greenville beat CCES 55-14 This team is throwing the ball well and scoring but have yet to beat a quality opponent so it is hard to measure them.
Daniel Lost to Greer 42-23 1-3 is not where the Lions want to be but they have played four very tough opponents. They should certainly be battle tested when region play begins.
Pickens eat West Oak 48-13 at 1-3, this team is about where we expected them to be. I'm not sure they can finish anywhre other than fifth in this region.
MY TAKE BHP appears to be the class of the class in this region. They have played strong all year and actually did not play terribly against a very good T.L. Hanna team. Wren and Greenville are both improving and will battle for that 2nd spot. The wildcard in this region is Daniel. They have played a strong schedule and have a win over a good Berkeley team. This team is going to be battle tested when region play starts and could be the team to beat for that 2nd spot.  I dont see Pickens winning a region game at this point.

REGION 2
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
Greer beat Danile 42023 This Yellow Jackets team is the team to beat in the region. Their defense is respectable and their offense is strong.
Eastside beat Wade Hampton (G) 49-0 The Eagles soar on offense, averaging 46 points per game but I think they remain untested.
Union County lost to Spartanburg 41-7 The Jackets have played the toughest schedule in the region - maybe the state. They have two more powers to face before region play.
Blue Ridge lost to Liberty 35-8 The Tigers are a mediocre team right now. If they could play consistent to the level they are capable of, they could finish as high as third but I think they are a fourth at best in this region. They are giving up 26 points per game.
Travelers Rest beat Carolina 26-6 This team is in the same boat as Blue Ridge only a little better on defense. They must get some things going on offense to compete for a top four spot.
MY TAKE Greer is playing the best football right now but don't think Union County isn't building some muscle with the resistance training they are doing in out of region play. Eastside has the offensive production but can they continue when they hit some good defenses? I see this region as Greer, UC, and Eastside in that order in the top three.

REGION 3
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
South Pointe was idle this week That saved someone a beating as this 3-0 team will go unscathed.
Ridge View beat Fairfield Central  35-19 The Blazers played good offense against a tough Griffins team. They will get a test this week against a Union County team better than their record.
Westwood beat Blythewood  28-9 Great emotional win for the Red Hawks but it was a limping offense they faced. I think this team has to tighten up it's defense to compete in this region.
York beat Nation Ford 21-17 Not sure this game is a great measure considering how down Nation Ford is right now.
RNE lost to Lower Richland 21-0 This team must get better on both sides of the football. They are allowing 29 points per game and scoring just 14 a game.
Lancaster lost to Chester 43-22 The Bruins are a middle of the road team in this region but dangerous enough to spoil someone's homecoming. The loss to Chester highlights their defensive shorcomings, allowing close to 30 points per game.
MY TAKE All discussions are about 2nd place because South Pointe will not be beaten. That said, it appears that Ridge View could be the team to beat. I think Westwood is an improved football team but I don't see them better than a third place finish and more than likely a fourth place finish. York has not been tested yet and their loss to Rock Hill in week one was revealing. Lancaster and RNE are similar - both are better than their last game would indicate and both have the potential to be a third place finisher in this region.

REGION 4
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
North Augusta beat Lexington 40-14 So what does the win mean? I don't know. Lexington is not a great football team but the Jackets appear to be fast and athletic. Big test this week against White Knoll.
South Aiken beat Westside 28-8 I like this team but the win over Westside was against a team on crutches and bandaged heavily. The 'breds are still the favorite here, though.
Midland Valley lost to Strom Thurmond 28-21 The Mustangs played well against a strong Strom Thurmond teams. Even though this was a loss, it revealed potential in this team.
Airport lost to Gilbert 44-28 This team is not very good in the skills department. They are big up front on both sides but this loss to Gilbert puts them at 0-3.
Aiken lost to Clinton 44-33 The Hornets are playing some tough teams but is it helping or hurting them?
MY TAKE This is a two team race. North Augusta and South Aiken will produce the region winner here. Right now, I like South Aiken in that match up. Midland Valley showed some promise in a losing effort against Strom Thurmond but I think they could actually finish third in this region. Airport is just bad in the skills department and I think they are a third at best, probably fourth place team here. Aiken is the wildcard. They have not played very well but they have played a tough schedule and it could make them better for region play.

REGION 5
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
Chapin lost 21-14 to Newberry The Eagles are 0-2 against teams with winning records. This game against Newberry showed they can defend the run but they are allowing 23 points per game and scoring just 22 per game.
OW lost to Fort Mill 31-9 This team is 2-2 and while they seem to be playing better on the defensive side of the football, they have not won a meaningful game yet.
Dreher beat River Bluff 17-14 The Blue Devils got a win with late score against a struggling River Bluff team. This team has some work to do but could be a region contender.
Lower Richland blanked RNE 21-0 This was a solid win and as strange as it sounds, this team could be the team to beat in region play.
AC Flora lost to to Lugoff-Elgin 21-6 0-3 and I'm hearing grumblings from the faithful. This team allowing 31 points per game on defense, the worst in the region.
MY TAKE This region is wide open. I like Chapin for the top spot just because they play disciplined football. Lower Richland and Dreher appear to be the teams to fight for 2nd place, but Orangeburg-Wilkinson is a wildcard. A.C. Flora has a lot of work to do to finish out of the cellar. 

REGION 6
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
Hartsville lost to Conway 35-21 This game means little in terms of where this team will finish. Conway is a solid, ranked 5A football team. Hartsville is still Hartsville and one of the best in class.
Lugoff-Elgin beat AC Flora 21-6 Good win for the Demons, 3-1 and quite frankly I don't know how they lost to River Bluff. Strong ground game and strong in the trenches.
Crestwood beat Franklin Christina 55-0 Yeh, I don't know who Franklin Christian is either. This is a  physical Crestwood team playing solid defense.
Darlington lost to MCHS 40-7 This team is 0-4 and allowing 46 points per game. I'm not sure they can win a game in region play.
Lakewood lost to Colleton County 30-22 Lost to a good passing team. This team at 2-2 is playing respectable defense but needs more offensive production.
MY TAKE Hartsville is the team to beat and Lugoff-Elgin is the team to challenge them. Everyone else is looking for third and fourth at this point. If i had to predict the cellar spot right now I'd say Darlington. 

REGION 7
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
North Myrtle Beach beat Carvers Bay 40-21 This is a huge win over a very good football team. Carvers Bay may be the best 2A team in the lower state.
Marlboro County beat Darlington 40-7 The Bulldogs are getting strong play from their quarterback but I can't count this as a quality win over a terrible football team.
Wilson beat South Florence 19-3 Good win for the Tigers. This team is playing great defense right now, allowing just 15 points per game.
Myrtle Beach lost to Socastee 51-34 Lost to a good football team. Their three losses on their 1-3 record are to very good football tams - all ranked opponents.
St James beat Lake City 42-34 Good win over a fiesty football team. Must get better on defense.
MY TAKE I think North Myrtle Beach is the most complete team and have two very strong quality wins on their 4-0 resume. Marlboro County could be the team to finish second but Wilson is playing strong right now defensively. Look for Myrtle Beach to be the Wildcard. Their three losses were to teams that would have had the same results against the rest of this region. St. James will finish last in the region the way things look right now. 

REGION 8
THE GAME WHAT IT MEANS
Berkeley beat Hanahan 44-31 At 3-1, the stags are playing well on offense. They are allowing 22 points per game and that could be improved but right now, seem to be on a roll.
Cane Bay was idle this week The Cobras are playing well on both sides of the football and could be the team to beat.
Beaufort vs Whale Brancch postponed The Eagles must be looked at as a contender at 3-0
Hilton Head vs May River was postponed Seahawks are 2-0 but not a strong schedule so far.
Colleton County beat Lakewood 30-22 1-3 but two of the losses to very strong opponents. This win over Lakewood is hard to gauge.
Stall vs Burke was postponed This team is 0-2 and not very good on defense.
MY TAKE Berkeley, Cane Bay and Beaufort will battle for that top spot. I think Hilton Head is the team that will nab fourth place with Colleton County fighting them for it. Stall will get the cellar spot. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic