Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Lake Norman at North Iredell

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Stickwolf,

I am on your side on this. It all starts with the whole attitude towards the program and the sport of football itself. Starting with the parents and then the middle school, boosters, coaches and teachers. You and I were both involved in a group of young boys who played baseball almost year round since they were 5. They ended up being the only North Iredell baseball team to make the playoffs in years and the team has been terrible since. As a parent of this group we devoted most of our free lives to youth baseball for about 12 years. Winning takes commitment from the junior leagues all the way thru middle school. I do not believe its the coaches fault its only current staff's second year. Little Johnny has to be taught he is a winner from 1st grade on, so as little Johnny enters older grades he expects to win. Stickwolf, your softball teams won because since they were 5 they were coached and told and expected to win. Bottom line is I believe it starts with whats expected from an athlete at an early age. I'm not a great writer but hopefully yall understand what I'm trying to say. Expectations are everything!

#27 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Stickwolf,
I am on your side on this. It all starts with the whole attitude towards the program and the sport of football itself. Starting with the parents and then the middle school, boosters, coaches and teachers. You and I were both involved in a group of young boys who played baseball almost year round since they were 5. They ended up being the only North Iredell baseball team to make the playoffs in years and the team has been terrible since. As a parent of this group we devoted most of our free lives to youth baseball for about 12 years. Winning takes commitment from the junior leagues all the way thru middle school. I do not believe its the coaches fault its only current staff's second year. Little Johnny has to be taught he is a winner from 1st grade on, so as little Johnny enters older grades he expects to win. Stickwolf, your softball teams won because since they were 5 they were coached and told and expected to win. Bottom line is I believe it starts with whats expected from an athlete at an early age. I'm not a great writer but hopefully yall understand what I'm trying to say. Expectations are everything!

Speaking of that group that made playoffs for NI baseball , u also got to remember that had a Great coach in Nick Tomlin who now at Elkin as their HC baseball coach n his first yr he almost won a state title in 1A.

I agree it starts with Attitude bc I remember when I asked some baseball players from NI , do they even practice due the off season n some then said No. how do u expect to improve if u don't have the drive or attitude or work ethic

The Best NI player who had a great work ethic was Justice Millsaps but there were some other good baseball players on NI team

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#28 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Any idea what the longest streak is now?

according to Simmons northwest Halifax at 41

#29 burles

burles

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hang in there Raider faithful.  Hopefully Coach Lewis is there for a long time and can build the foundation.  It wasn't too many years ago that Statesville lost I believe 23 straight (the last Bost year, the forgotten year of Coach Perolli, and the start of the Gussler era).  There is nothing better than when all of the county teams are good.  Pulling hard for you guys (except for the night of 10/13).

#30 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

One sobering thought that a parent and student at North Iredell has to be aware of is that you may not win a varsity game in your four years at North.  It would be nice to be the class that changes that streak.

#31 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

North Iredell Volleyball is ranked #1 for 3A on maxpreps and 64th in the nation!!!  Congrats ladies,,now lets get that first football win!

#32 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

North Iredell Volleyball is ranked #1 for 3A on maxpreps and 64th in the nation!!!  Congrats ladies,,now lets get that first football win!

Awesome. Great to hear. Got to get over and see those kids play

Just heard a great quote... Was attributed to Joe Torre  but who knows but it sums up what I was trying to say but in a lot less words

"Winning is habit .. Losing is habit "  

#33 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I always taught my own children Vince Lombardi's quote,,,,"if winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"

#34 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

All the quotes in the world will not replace the fact that you have to have some football talent on the field.  We obviously do not have enough either playing or walking the halls.  We are a farm community with no draw for people to come work or play sports.  The teams that have a steady flow of talent win games consistently.  When they play the weaker teams they win 99% of the time.  If my team is bigger faster and stronger we have a better chance of winning.  That is a known fact not a habit.  We have had some talented classes that have come thru our school and they have won.  They had a habit of winning because they had enough talent.  Volleyball wins because year after year they get players who are talented and have played since they could walk.  How long did it take the Carolina Panthers to reach their first super bowl?  Once they had enough talent they won games.  They did not have to wait to develop a habit, they were good enough to win.  I guess the Yankees way back when had the habit of dominating baseball with babe ruth, mickey mantle, yogi bera, reggie jackson, the list goes on.  Talent wins games more than a habit.

#35 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Raidergator, did you read my big long post on 9/11/17. You just solidified my point about expectations. Girls volleyball and girls basketball are expected to win. Same school, same students, teachers etc. Its what the student athletes expectations are from a early age. I dont buy your arguement about no draw... i know a parent whos children go to North and the father drives to Fort Mill SC for work. If you tell your child your team is not as talented of course they are gonna think that and get intimadated and probably lose. So by your statement farmers kids are not as athletic,,,,thats crazy. By reading your post youve already told our football players your not as good as everyone else. What does that do to their self esteem? That is exactly the attitude we need to change with boys sports in general at North. Please dont take offense to this,,,just my opinion!

#36 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

And I have had the luxury of talking with college recruiters and coaches and this is the order of characteristics they evaluate a student athlete...

1) coachability is first priority

2) grades

3) talent

They would rather have a athlete with less talent and coachable with a great attitude before a more talented player that is less coachable!

#37 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm sure Nick Saban goes by that list.  Truth hurts and I want to see North win as much as anybody but lipstick on a pig don't do much to change the fact.  What was North's record in 1987?

#38 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

So by your statement if a good player is not in college playing then either they are not coachable or they do not have good grades?  NPCFan where does your son or daughter play their college ball?

#39 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

All I said was that is the order of how they evaluate a student athlete. And I do know several examples of very talented athletes from the Iredell school systems that were considered but turned down by division 1 programs because of grades. If a college is going to invest thousands of dollars in a scholarship they want to make sure your not going to flunk out. They are only allotted so many to give. At that point the student athlete becomes a investment of sort. I had a son that went thru being recruited by division 2 and 3 schools for baseball and I have a daughter who is being looked at by several colleges for her sport. Ive also been to classes sponsored by Under Armor to teach parents all about this. Sure if your a top ten recruit in the nation I am sure things get shoved under the table. But most college recruits are looked at this way. In my opinion.

#40 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Division 3 can't offer scholarships for athletics.  If you don't have talent you won't get looked at regardless of your grades.  If you don't have good grades it does not how good you are you can't meet the requirements.  If you are division one good they will find you no matter where you go to school. Look at how many volleyball players have gone on to D1.  Not many but the really good ones have.  We have a great team but not all great teams have college level players.  Go Raiders!!!

#41 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

i agree with your last statement,,,but that wasnt the topic. its all good! Im on the Raiders side also!

#42 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

OK does anybody think the "culture" (which was what I was TRYING to get at) doesn't contribute at all to the lack of participation? A culture that pretty much been ingrained into the school and community for a long long time. I'm sure (And have known quite a few) that there are talented athletes that for whatever reason choose not to play football. I know some now even. They may choose to concentrate on one sport(Why should I ruin my chance at the this sport just to LOSE football games on Friday?) Get a job (I need money more than I need to LOSE every Friday) Social life ( Why work my butt off just to LOSE every Friday when I can be at cookout with my friends) etc etc etc Theres a common theme... LOSE. Flip side of that I had the honor and privilege of coaching an 11-12 softball team this year. Those kids are at North Middle feeding into North Iredell. Several of those girls have their eyes on playing Volleyball at North and make no secret about it..... Why ?? because the road was paved for them with banners and trophies and they KNOW in order to make it at North, they have to work hard and they WANT TO to be like the ones before them and not let the ones before them down. Thats the CULTURE part. One has a WINNING reputation and kids want to be part of, the other has a LOSING reputation  and a lot DO NOT want to be part of it. (Talent or not) 

Example. Great Middle School player in Norths district and was supposed to come to North. For what ever reason hes not here, but just for discussion sake lets say it was a football move.  He goes to another school, plays as a true freshman  caught the winning TD pass in the State championship game for his new HS  school last yr. (Thats 2 times in the last 5 yrs that future or former Raiders did that for another school). Lets say North had the reputation of being competitive like they were in the 80's and 90's. Do you think that kid comes here? Or would he still be looking to get away? Chances are hes here right now if he has a chance to make a good team great. Thats why I used all the cheesy sayings.... losing is a habit... do it enough and the caring stops. I see some of that among kids now. Question is how do you get them out... and I know for a fact Coach Lewis is trying very hard to get them out. LONG process. . Good Gosh I hope this makes sense. 

#43 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Well said. Very good post Stickwolf.

#44 NPCFANCAM

NPCFANCAM

JV Team

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

Good post Stick! It's just some kids for some reason just don't want to play Not sure why When I was coaching little league and asting in Middleschool some of my players that were awesome players never went to play in Highschool lol ...Me personally my own son played Sense kindergarten all the way through Highschool even got 5" offers to play in college He said he was done and that he didn't want to play anymore...Would have been nice so me and his mother wouldn't have a college bill for the next 4-8 yrs lol Kids are different today I would say

#45 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:56 AM

Like it or not kids today are not what kids used to be.  Football is a tough sport even when you are winning.  It takes a special kid to go thru a year round program and commit to all the things it takes to be successful.  Just having kids out sounds good but dead weight and moaning and groaning like today's society is not what a good football program needs.  I have seen Elkin high school win a State championship with 18 players.  Stickwolf, that story about the middle school player sounds like a tall tale.  Several good players make up a good team seldom does one standout make a huge difference in the long run.  They might make a play here or there but to win consistently it takes several on both sides of the ball.  North usually has some size.  They may have a fast kid or 2 but they can't put enough on the field to last for 4 quarters.  It seems to come and go in cycles.  Who knows maybe a group with enough studs will come along to put four good years together.  Right now they don't have it.  Does not look like the middle school has much right now either.  Volleyball only needs about 8-9 good players, there are 100's playing and wanting to make those teams.  We have to take the good with the bad.

#46 stickwolf

stickwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

Tall tale ??? Google Ray Grier East Iredell Middle....... Google Ray Grier South Point high.  All I'm gonna say about that. 

I'll help 

http://www.statesvil...1a4bcf6878.html

East jumped ahead early. Grier collected the first snap of the game and carried the ball 58 yards for a touchdown. Only 23 seconds had elapsed. Grier, who doubled as a quarterback and running back on offense, ended with a game-high 229 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. The seventh-grader finished 2014 with 1,560 yards.

http://banner-news.c...nt-p2529-71.htm

With the score 7-6 Rocky Mount Scottie Lee tossed a quick pass to Ray Grier to put South Point ahead. Another Lempereur PAT gave South Point a 13-7 lead.

#47 Raidergator

Raidergator

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Another tough loss for NIHS.  Who keeps up with a kid that much that moves away?  If they don't want to play for us then good riddance.  Not sure he could beat anyone by himself.  Good move for him a chance to win a state championship.  How is he on Defense? When North does get a stud they have to use him so much he stays hurt most of the season and is no good to anyone (milsaps, campbell,dukes).   We need help there as well.  We have not stopped anyone yet.  Don't have to score many if they don't score any.  Let's Go Raiders scalp some Warriors at the Tee Pee.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic