Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Concussions and Wrestling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 221 posts
  • Email:scvarsity@sc.rr.com

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Listened to an interesting show on NPR yesterday that had Dr. Bennet Omalu on it; obviously he's been on a crusade against football but he now lists wrestling as a target sport and went so far to say that if we, as parents, allow our children to participate in these contact sports before they are 18 we are committing child abuse.

Concussions, Kids and Contact Sports

#2 TheMasonWay

TheMasonWay

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

wow I see Dr. Omalu point, but its a stretch right? Child abuse? wrestling being in the Big6 per Dr. Omalu of sports not to play, so you can preserve your childs intellegence and mind. He has some interesting stats to back it up

'80, '82, '83, '84, '85, '86, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '09, '14, '15

#3 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

Varsity Team

• Administrator
  • 221 posts
  • Email:scvarsity@sc.rr.com

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

wow I see Dr. Omalu point, but its a stretch right? Child abuse? wrestling being in the Big6 per Dr. Omalu of sports not to play, so you can preserve your childs intellegence and mind. He has some interesting stats to back it up

I can't discount the science behind it but I do think it is kind of a radical stance. 

#4 CarolinaHawkeyeFan

CarolinaHawkeyeFan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

I do not believe concussions are as prevalent in wrestling as they are in football. Yes, wrestlers do "get their bell rung" especially if both change level and shoot at the same time. I've seen the "mosquito races" a few times from this, but have never had concussion symptoms. The two actual concussions I have had happened in soccer - once getting kicked in the head while going for a head ball and once winning a head ball but taking an elbow or head (hard to say as I never saw it coming) in the process.

I have seen two serious concussions in wrestling: one was when a RH wrestler returned an Irmo wrestler to the mat in an early season tournament in 2011. The Irmo wrestler landed on his head and was out. The other was when wrestlers were doing hall sprints after practice. As they rounded a corner a smaller wrestler pushed a larger kid into the wall.

Concussions are more prevalent in football, imo, as football players are moving at speed over distance. The speed and distance two wrestlers are moving when they shoot at the same time is much less.

JeffChapman-Dynamic