Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Is there a N.C. private school team that could become a national power?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

Lets face it, private school football in North Carolina has gotten very good, you could make the argument in Charlotte that two of the private powers in Charlotte Christian and Charlotte Latin are just as good, if not better than most of the traditional 4A powers. 

These schools do have an advantage when it comes to their ability to spend major dollars to renovate or completely build new facilities, some on par with major D2 colleges, but others also strictly stick to their rigorous academic standards, as they should, which sometimes prevents them from landing those blue chip caliber recruits. 

My question though is this, what North Carolina private school is the most ready to ascend to the ranks of a national player and go after schools like Don Bosco Prep, St. Thomas Aquinas, IMG Academy, and other national teams?

I think that with Jason Estep leading the program at Charlotte Christian, that they're certainly ready to step up their game and you have to wonder if Justin Hardin, once he takes over for Larry McNulty in 2018 will have those aspirations to take Latin to a national schedule. 

However, I do think there is one team that has been lurking in the the woods that may be ready to jump national quicker than any Charlotte team, and in a big way, and that's Christ School in the Asheville area.  I'm being told that they are spending millions to build a new stadium, football facilities, and from I'm told, an indoor facility.  The Greenies are already one of the top shelf programs in North Carolina and since arriving in 2011, Mark Moroz has led them to an impressive 50-15 mark.  

This is really just food for thought and may never play out, but it's worth the conversation.  I know Tom Knotts had told me before that he would love to take a Charlotte private school and build a national program out of it, so I know the potential, and the fan interest is there. 

----

On a side note, speaking of facilities, check out the setup at Providence Day, its better than most of the D2 and even some lower their FBS schools. 

Link: Carolina Preps Stadium Project - Providence Day

IMG_1394-M.jpg

#2 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Christ School is defenatly trying to build a lasting program, Statesville Christian is also making a name for themselves. High Point Christian is another school that has put together some very talented teams

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

Christ School is defenatly trying to build a lasting program, Statesville Christian is also making a name for themselves. High Point Christian is another school that has put together some very talented teams

There are certainly some very strong private school programs, all with top notch coaching staffs and good players.  For the sake of this argument, I don't think many are ready to ascend to that national level, but in terms of big-time football, some are doing quite well for themselves. 

Wake Christian has certainly got things going as does Ravenscroft, High Point Christian as you mentioned, and of course the other big Charlotte schools like Country Day and Providence Day. 

Another newer program that I continue to see get bigger and bigger is Cannon School in Concord. 

#4 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Cannon has seen ups and downs. They are on an uptick now. Christ the King has made vast strides going into year 2 of that program. Their first year the team was mostly rookies to the game. Within 2-3 years they will become a team to deal with.

As far as a national team right now I would say Christ School is the one to watch as they have boarding there and will be able to draw from more areas.

Providence Day is growing their program and the collapse of Davidson Day brought a lot of those kids into PD and Cannon

#5 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

How many players play at Providence Day that were st Davidson Day? Did most of DDay's players that left go to other privates or their public school?

#6 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

It appears to me that Christian has the ability to be a force on a national level. They have already churned out a lot of big time talent and have stepped up for some big games. The Charlotte metro is loaded with talent and Christian is situated in a good spot geographically to pull from a lot of areas that produce talent.

Latin, Country Day, and Provudence Day will always be academics first. Period. They will build strong programs but I do not see them venturing too far in uncharted territory with the academic rigors or requirements.

#7 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

I know that PD got at least 2 from Davidson Day and Cannon got at least 1.  Christ the King picked up a couple of their JV kids

Hough got the lions share.  The exodus from DD was ugly.

Christian does have the force to go National they have some big money alumni that also pour money into that school

Christ School is the one in the state that I see getting there especially with their boarding facilities - it will take a few years but can see them doing it 

#8 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Until all the tuition is covered for athletes the better athletes will go where it free. Unless the parents are loaded it hard for most people to come up with college-esque money for high school. Talent wise the Charlotte area teams will develop first, followed by Christ School. The Greenies are already a notional level basketball program so its not unreasonable to think they take football in the same direction.

Paul Graham

WNC Football

The standard in 1A since 1969

30 state titles in 40 appearances

22 consecutive finals appearances

44 finals in the last 50 years

SMC 1A/2A 34 state titles

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

I think the formula and requirements needed to be national class in hoops is much simpler and lower than to do so in football.

#10 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

I agree, but the template is in place to go by.

Paul Graham

WNC Football

The standard in 1A since 1969

30 state titles in 40 appearances

22 consecutive finals appearances

44 finals in the last 50 years

SMC 1A/2A 34 state titles

#11 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Agreed that the template is in place, the advantage to Christ school is that they have boarding available and that gives them the ability to draw from other areas as well as offer the ability to have students "work" off financial aid. The Charlotte area schools currently don't have that ability. All of the area private schools offer financial aid based on family need it is just a process to get it.

#12 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Just a question, since I know nothing about private schools, but I watched them get thwacked by Franklin last week and wondered where does Rabun Gap-Nacoochee fit in this conversation?  They've got the cash to do whatever they need to do, and they just started a program a few years ago.  They are in Georgia, barely, but compete in North Carolina's private school league.  They just hired former Franklin standout and 8 year NFL veteran Shawn Bryson as head coach, which may or may not help them in recruiting.  They are a boarding school, and their location could make it easy for them to draw from Atlanta.  I know right now they have kids from all over the world on their football team, as they draw a significant amount of international students for academic purposes.

#13 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

From what I understand they aren't ready to make that leap yet,

#14 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

All that local recruiting really helped Christ School win that state championship they promised everybody huh? Chartlotte Christian is no joke.

#15 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:37 PM

Christian would be competitive and very dangerous in the 4A and 4AA playoffs

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

One school I think could make a national move if they desired would be The Asheville School. Their current sports facilities are better than small colleges. If they were to start that process tomorrow I think they would surpass any private in North Carolina. The money and alumni is there already.

#17 Beyond hope

Beyond hope

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Agree that the facilities, money and alumni are there. The staff is more than likely ready for it. They would need a boost in talent

#18 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:08 PM

What did happen to Davidson Day that they didn’t have a team this past season? They were good there a few years but vanished out.

#19 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

What did happen to Davidson Day that they didn’t have a team this past season? They were good there a few years but vanished out.

Have not heard the full story.  The coach, Chad Grier, left and moved to Charleston, SC where he was the coach at a very new school, Oceanside Charter.  Not sure why he left DD.  His son is the QB at West Virginia.  Another son was recently on Dancing With The Stars.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic