Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Murphy vs Pisgah

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

Big time week one game coming up at Western Carolina on Thursday , Murphy will be the real deal in 1a this as of right now they are my favorites in this one, Pisgah will have a dang good 2aa team as well, this will be better then any preseason NFL game on, can't wait!

#2 patricklsu

patricklsu

JV Team

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

I don't know enough about either school to make a prediction but I know Murphy is the defending 1A champ and Pisgah was a force in the 3A level without knowing much I'd say Pisgah by 6

#3 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

WNC Game of the Week

(1A) Murphy Bulldogs -v- Pisgah Black Bears (2A)

E.J. Whitmire Stadium, Bob Waters Field

Cullowhee, NC

7:30 PM

1st meeting

Murphy 31 Pisgah 28

This is one of those games that will set the tone for the season.

Murphy enters the game with a better set of skill players than last season. Offensively the Bulldogs can do it either way. Stop the Wing-T and they can throw it with equal effectiveness. They did lose a huge player on the defensive line but should have a capable replacement lined up. After a strong summer program, Murphy's '17 team is better overall than last season. The Smoky Mountain Conference is theirs to lose and they are the legitimate 1A favorite.

Pisgah lost a number of key players from last season but fill those holes with back ups and kids up from JV. the Black Bears will be more explosive this season, due to the skill players on the field. Defensively, Pisgah should be a quicker, more aggressive unit than last season with a strong core of returning players. After a very disappointing 3rd loss to eventual champion South Point, the Black Bears look primed to make a run at the Mountain 6 championship and a deeper run in the 2AA playoffs.

Both teams should be primed and ready to play Thursday. I really see this game being a lot closer than some people due to the depth on both sides. 

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#4 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

I thibk it will be 10 point or less game.

#5 PHS Bear

PHS Bear

JV Team

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

WNC Game of the Week

(1A) Murphy Bulldogs -v- Pisgah Black Bears (2A)

E.J. Whitmire Stadium, Bob Waters Field

Cullowhee, NC

7:30 PM

1st meeting

Murphy 31 Pisgah 28

This is one of those games that will set the tone for the season.

Murphy enters the game with a better set of skill players than last season. Offensively the Bulldogs can do it either way. Stop the Wing-T and they can throw it with equal effectiveness. They did lose a huge player on the defensive line but should have a capable replacement lined up. After a strong summer program, Murphy's '17 team is better overall than last season. The Smoky Mountain Conference is theirs to lose and they are the legitimate 1A favorite.

Pisgah lost a number of key players from last season but fill those holes with back ups and kids up from JV. the Black Bears will be more explosive this season, due to the skill players on the field. Defensively, Pisgah should be a quicker, more aggressive unit than last season with a strong core of returning players. After a very disappointing 3rd loss to eventual champion South Point, the Black Bears look primed to make a run at the Mountain 6 championship and a deeper run in the 2AA playoffs.

Both teams should be primed and ready to play Thursday. I really see this game being a lot closer than some people due to the depth on both sides. 

Good breakdown as usual Paul. I'll add a couple of facts, and my opinion. Fact-this years senior class were 10th graders on an undefeated JV team. This years Juniors were 10th graders on a 9 & 1 JV team. Some of those wins came against "undefeated at the time" teams, Tuscola, Franklin, and West Henderson. Each year every team loses key players/seniors, I think we reload with the best. The score prediction above may be close, but the winning team is reversed.

Pisgah by 3

#6 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

After watching Pisgah last night, don't see how Murphy gets beat.

#7 Mbulldog42

Mbulldog42

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Well, I think last nights scrimmage showed Murphy is not invincible

#8 MHS88

MHS88

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

Murphy definitely showed its vulnerable last night in certain areas, especially the secondary. North Murray picked the Dogs apart, throwing for 3 first half tds.

#9 KW23

KW23

Established Member

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Mountain island gonna drop bombs on them. Lol

#10 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Who did Murphy scrimmage? Asheville?

#11 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Did North run the spread.

#12 Mbulldog42

Mbulldog42

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

North Murray in fairness is probably better than anybody Murphy will face. Good team to scrimmage against and help you focus on how you need to get better. Purpose for a scrimmage, no one hurt so bothing but positives from the woodshed.

#13 Mbulldog42

Mbulldog42

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Beat Asheville 21-0 on Wednesday. Lost to North Murray, GA. by 3-4 scores. I wasn't there dont k ow what they run

#14 murphy1981

murphy1981

JV Team

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

North Murray in fairness is probably better than anybody Murphy will face. Good team to scrimmage against and help you focus on how you need to get better. Purpose for a scrimmage, no one hurt so bothing but positives from the woodshed.

In the scheme of things neither of these pre-season scrimmages amount to a hill of beans. They show areas that need to be improved on and that's about it. Yes North Murray is probably better than anyone that we face they are a 3a school in GA with an ADM of around 1300 and are the favorite to win their conference.

#15 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

#16 smashmouth

smashmouth

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

I'm gonna say pisgah by 3.

#17 LB INC1

LB INC1

JV Team

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Will this game be streamed?

#18 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

I don't think so. At least not outside the service area...

#19 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

After talking with Paul Graham today, I think I may reconsider going to the Scotland/Mallard Creek game and come up to see this one.  

#20 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

After talking with Paul Graham today, I think I may reconsider going to the Scotland/Mallard Creek game and come up to see this one.

Scotland and Mallard Creek will be a fun game! This one should be a little slower pacrd, and harder hitting tho...

#21 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

My predication:

Murphy 38 - Pisgah 13

#22 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

Watched Pisgah in limited action in the scrimmage Friday. 

Murphy 38 -13 over Pisgah. 

Maybe Pisgah was holding back in the scrimmages.  

#23 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Murphy by 2 scores

#24 Pisgah Bears

Pisgah Bears

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

Pisgah looked bad last year in their scrimmage games and had a great season.Should be a good year for the Bears.If Murphy has problems with  pass defense it may be a bad night for them.Pisgah by seven.

#25 Pisgah Bears

Pisgah Bears

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

My predication:

Murphy 38 - Pisgah 13

No way Murphy puts 38 points on Pisgah.

JeffChapman-Dynamic