Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

PGA Championship at Quail Hollow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Anybody else planning to attend?  I have tickets for Sunday and I am planning to try and sit just off the 18th fairway where I can see 16 and 17 (If possible).  They don't play a major this close very often so I can't let it go without going-anyone else got plans?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

I had an invitation for Saturday but I turned it down. I've been to the Wachovia Championship four times so I have walked a lot of Quail Hollow. Left of the 18th tee box is a good place. 17 is a tough par three with anything right impossible to chip back toward the pond. 18th fairway between the creek and the trap is a hard placement with the driver.

I've been to a PGA before and a couple US Opens. Don't play at all anymore. Played every week for many years and hit tons of balls a week. Played in your area a bunch- Silver Creek, Quaker Meadows, and couple times at Mimosa. Played all over the mountains, which I really enjoyed because it was wasn't rag weed bermuda.

Played my last nine holes in 2005. Birdie the first hole, slam dunked a wedge for eagle on second hole, skulled a second shot on third hole and it ended 2 feet from hole and putted for birdie, hit a stiffy second shot and had birdie on fourth. Ok I'm shootings the golf of my life and have two witnesses, right. Par on 5th. 5 under after 5 holes. Then the real me comes out- bogey, down a hill into pond for triple bogey, par, bogey. So pissed I quit and went home and haven't picked up a club since. Now I'm shooting pistols and war guns and riding a crotch rocket. Life is calmer now.

#3 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

I had some media credentials but just couldn't take the time with football ramping up. I love pro golf but dealing with the crowds and the parking and everything else is a nightmare.

#4 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Going tomorrow if weather holds

#5 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

I bought tickets on Stubhub before I found out that military (active, reserve or retired) can get free admission.  So, lesson learned, I will know next time.  GDG-I used to be a member at Quaker, but I let it lapse.  I have played Silver Creek often and Mimosa Hills twice in a tournament.  For about a two year period I played almost every day, but I don't get out much any more and my game shows it.  Even so, my best round ever was an 80 (I missed a 10 foot putt for 79).  I will get back into it once I am properly retired, just so I can do something athletic-golf is about all I can manage anymore.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Quail Hollow is a nice course and not overly difficult to walk. No real parking for fans and the shuttle is so,ewhat long now I think. When I attended in the first years of the Wachovia the shuttle parking was at the former Charlotte Arena. I watched most of the time at the driving range hoping by some miracle I would see something that would change my game for the better.

I worked for a large corporation and we had a corporate tent a couple years at the Pinehurst US Open. I ate a bunch and drank beer mostly. Love the old setting at Pinehurst with the Donald Ross design but the tall pines are not as enjoyable for shade as oaks at Quail Hollow. Saw John Daily smoke 7 cigarettes playing two holes. Funny how they don't show all these golfers on TV spitting tobacco and smoking like chimneys. Lots of cussing from some of the same pros. I don't think the average person realizes most of the current golfers are very tall.

Anyway enjoy and don't become a Charlotte statistic while in town. Concealed carry is appropriate attire in the Queen City.

JeffChapman-Dynamic