Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Mitchell at Erwin

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#26 Mountaineer pride

Mountaineer pride

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Mitchell scrimmages Enka tomorrow

#27 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

How did Mitchell and Erwin look in their scrimmages last night?

#28 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Mitchell won petty easily. Gave up a big play on the first play of the scrimmage and played pretty well after that. shut down Enka after that except for a couple of broken plays. As with most Mitchell played a lot of kids.

#29 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Mitchell won petty easily. Gave up a big play on the first play of the scrimmage and played pretty well after that. shut down Enka after that except for a couple of broken plays. As with most Mitchell played a lot of kids.

I think enka will be better than they have been the last couple of years they have some fast kids, but from what I heard on the the other site Erwin didn't score against Cherokee, that was really surprising to me

#30 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

I think enka will be better than they have been the last couple of years they have some fast kids, but from what I heard on the the other site Erwin didn't score against Cherokee, that was really surprising to me

Cherokee is slated to have a special season this year, by Cherokee standards. (No that is not a jab.) We all know the SMC is tough and 3rd place usually goes to a decent team. Ty Mintz is as fine a quarterback as you'll find in WNC, and they have good size up front. I have not seen Erwin in person this summer, so I'm going on hearsay, but with what they lost, the Warriors might struggle to find their way early on in the season. Should have plenty of speed which will help out. Our boys are as hungry as I ever seen a mountaineer. They want a banner. BAD. The boys are disgusted with their performance against Murphy last year, and are kicking off a redemption tour. Coming to a field near you, with lotsa sauce :D

#31 Call me Jimmy

Call me Jimmy

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

Brody clocked a 4.48 I think, and won a ship in the 400 meter. He is explosive, but also can keep the speed the length of the field. Our line is really shaping up too. Good size all around with a couple that are close to 300lbs. Across the line averaging probably 6-1 and 240lbs.

You do realize the 400 meter is more a distance event?
I helped coach track this season Brody ran the 110 meter several times and never finished first. Heritage had 3 athletes that play football out run Brody in the 110 meter dash so I would bet Erwin has players as fast as Mr Smith! Brody is a fine young man and a good player but com on man!

#32 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

What was the deal with Erwin Friday night? They didn't score on Cherokee, were they holding back or was Cherokees defense that much improved? Mitchell laid it on Enka (not much to brag about), and Ben young didn't even run the ball. I didn't make it, but redy4Friday told me that Ben Robinson was an up the gut machine and is going to be hard to tackle this year.

#33 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

Hence the keep the speed up the length of the field comment. Also running a 4.48 doesn't always translate into winning the 100 meters.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#34 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

I'm not 100% sure on that quoted time either, but it's close to it. The 40 yard dash isn't the best gauge of speed, but it's what everyone uses... Brody is a good WR, with good hands. He can hoof it in a strait line but can also can direction 90* with minimal speed loss. Paul, can you give any insight to the Erwin/Cherokee scrimmage?

#35 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

I went to the Erwin vs Cherokee scrimmage. It was a joke and waist of gas money. Neither varsity team scored and they played in pouring rain for about an hour and called it off. Erwin scrimmaged about 80% of the time with their jv team vs what looked like Cherokee's varsity. Maybe someone can fill me in on Cherokee. Do they have a jv team? They only had about 30 players there all together so I wasn't sure. Anyways, don't take much out of this scrimmage.

#36 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

I think Mitchell will move the ball on Erwin some. I think they will have a hard time with the Warriors speed at most positions. All in all should be a good game I think. I really have no idea who will win. On paper Erwin should win but Mitchell returns a lot from a winning team so they should be slight favorite this year with Erwin being so young at key positions.

#37 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

SMzc doesnt have JVs. We hsve JH and cannot compete against jv teams because JH has middle school kids on it.

#38 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

SMzc doesnt have JVs. We hsve JH and cannot compete against jv teams because JH has middle school kids on it.

Ok, thanks. I thought they were varsity but wasn't sure.

#39 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

I think this is the most interestign matchup of the opening weekend in the mountains. Erwin is rebuilding/reloading but still has plenty of athletes and speed but Mitchell will grind you into a pulp with their style of play. If Mitchell gets an early lead it may turn into a redo of last years Erwin v MH game but I dont think it will. I think this will be a back and forth affair, fairly high scoring, and the team that limits turnovers will come out on top. I think Mitchell's experience at QB will lead them to a big week 1 win 

Mitchell 34

Erwin 26

#40 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

The only thing i can share is the same as BDWarrior. I went to Smoky to see Rosman and Madison and was not disappointed. Madison was huge upfront on both sides and have some good size in the backfield. If you don't strap up and be very ready to play they will pound you. I think they can be just as good as last year if not better. Rosman is another team that will surprise a bunch of people this year. They were quite impressive against Smoky.

Mitchell, in my opinion, will use this game as a statement game. Using the "if we can beat the mighty Erwin" tact to get off to a good start. Erwin had better be ready to be disciplined on defense and take some lumps to stop Mitchell, if not it will be a long night. Mitchell better have a plan to contain the speed and athletes from Erwin or it could get ugly quick.

This really is an interesting match up

P.R. Graham

SMC

#41 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Paul when are we going to get your legendary WNC preview?

#42 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

I'm hoping for Thursday before the game......hoping

P.R. Graham

SMC

#43 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Is erwins QB hurt?

#44 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

Is erwins QB hurt?

Not that I'm aware of. He tore his acl last season but has been playing in scrimmages.

#45 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

Is erwins QB hurt?

Not that I'm aware of. He tore his acl last season but has been playing in scrimmages.

#46 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

Ok thanks. I must have imagined it lol

#47 BumKnee53

BumKnee53

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

35-14 Mitchell

#48 Purple Mountain

Purple Mountain

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

I will take Mitchell in this one in a fairly high scoring affair. 35-31 looking forward to watching these teams tomorrow night should be a great game with Erwin rebuilding and Mitchell looking to get some redemption after ending a great season with a disappointing loss in the semi finals. Go Mountaineers

#49 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Heard Mitchell's jv won tonight. Anyone know the score?

#50 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Heard 40-28 Mitchell.

JeffChapman-Dynamic