Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Mitchell at Erwin

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

Well the season opener is little over a week away and I figured I would get some real football talk going on here. This game is one I take interest in for obvious reasons. I have been impressed with what Mitchell has done the past few years and I can assure you the Erwin coaching staff is well aware of it. You guys will have to fill me in on Mitchell. I know they return a lot of kids off a team that went finals last season. They will absolutely have the experience factor over Erwin this season. I compare MH to Mitchell often. Erwin had their number till last season but you never know. As for the Warriors I am not sure what will happen. We have had many years of explosive offense and qb's but we lost most of those players. This team will have a new coach and qb. I have been impressed with the soph qb in 7 on 7. He is about 6' 4" with a good arm, but very raw and coming off a major acl surgery. The x factor could be rb Isaiah Poore. He has played in a pass happy offense so his numbers are not as good as they could be but he is the real deal. Defense is another thing I am interested in. That has been Erwin's weakness the last few years. I will know a lot more about Erwin after this week. We scrimmage Shelby tonight. That will be a real wake up call. I guess the matchup with Erwin and Mitchell will come down to athleticism vs experience. What do you guys think? 

#2 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

Hello BD, did you go to the scrimmage with erwin,rville,Cherokee, etc a few weeks ago?

#3 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

I think ideas at Erwin.

#4 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

I think it was at erwin

#5 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:43 AM

Run the ball on them BD lol!

#6 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Knights, I did. It was a 7 on 7. I think Erwin scrimmages at Cherokee Friday.

#7 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

Run the ball on them BD lol!

We better. Don't want to throw this rookie qb in the fire right out of the gate.

#8 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Heard we beat Cherokee and others at a 7 on 7. Don't no which one
Was it the one u was at?

#9 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Mitchell covers the pass very good, and has excellent line play. We return all starters but 2 linemen, all skills return and our QB is a 4th year starter and is very dynamic. The mountaineer defense stops the run pretty good, just had a mental block with heritage for a couple years... should be a fun matchup, and although Erwin will probably have more athletes, Mitchell will have the fastest player on the field.

Mitchell 30
Erwin 28

#10 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Mitchell covers the pass very good, and has excellent line play. We return all starters but 2 linemen, all skills return and our QB is a 4th year starter and is very dynamic. The mountaineer defense stops the run pretty good, just had a mental block with heritage for a couple years... should be a fun matchup, and although Erwin will probably have more athletes, Mitchell will have the fastest player on the field.

Mitchell 30
Erwin 28

Just curious who this kid is that's the fastest player on the field. Isaiah Poore has been clocked at 4.45 and 4.5 at combines. That would put this kid in the 4.3 range which is very rare in high school, much less any level. That's very impressive if that's the case.

#11 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

I think he's referring to brody smith, I think he is 4.6 maybe 4.5 fast

#12 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

I think he's referring to brody smith, I think he is 4.6 maybe 4.5 fast

Brody clocked a 4.48 I think, and won a ship in the 400 meter. He is explosive, but also can keep the speed the length of the field. Our line is really shaping up too. Good size all around with a couple that are close to 300lbs. Across the line averaging probably 6-1 and 240lbs.

#13 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

Brody clocked a 4.48 I think, and won a ship in the 400 meter. He is explosive, but also can keep the speed the length of the field. Our line is really shaping up too. Good size all around with a couple that are close to 300lbs. Across the line averaging probably 6-1 and 240lbs.

Sounds like a fast kid Mountie. Is he a senior I didn't see him on the shrine bowl lists. Looks like the lines for these two match up well. Erwin has 3 over 300 and a few on the 280ish range. Very young though. Coaching will go to Mitchell with Erwin having a new head coach. I still think it comes down to speed vs experience. Your prediction looks good. I think this Erwin team will be good once the new qb and other young guys get going. They have big shoes to replace with wnc all time leader in passing yards graduating.

#14 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Heard we beat Cherokee and others at a 7 on 7. Don't no which one
Was it the one u was at?

I was at the one at Erwin. There were many teams that day. I didn't see the Cherokee vs Robinsville match up as there were many games going on. I seen both teams play though and they were both solid for the size of the schools they were playing. You could tell they were 1A by the number of players. Cherokee had a very good qb but not much help. The Knights had a few quick guys and a good qb I thought. Overall Hendersonville, Erwin, Polk, heritage, Roberson and Reynolds all looked the best.

#15 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Thanks

#16 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

I will know a lot more about Erwin after this week. We scrimmage Shelby tonight.

Keep us updated on that if you're there

#17 Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Common sense would be Erwin in a rout, but if they are way down from years past, Mitchell might have a chance. Not knocking on Mitchell, but Erwin is a historically good 3A program with loads of speed. It's a huge difference between 3A and 1A, but I respect the fact Erwin agreed to schedule us. I guess North Buncombe got tired of the butt whooping, or maybe it was the cow bells.

#18 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

Not knocking on Mitchell, but Erwin is a historically good 3A program with loads of speed. It's a huge difference between 3A and 1A, 

I wouldn't go as far as to say historically good. Good the last decade, but certainly not historically.

I believe this is the second best match up in week one. Mitchell is building a 1A contender and Erwin is rebounding from losing a great coach. Speed versus disciplined play, should be a dandy.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#19 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I will know a lot more about Erwin after this week. We scrimmage Shelby tonight.

Keep us updated on that if you're there

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it out there. My friend was and he said Erwin looked solid against Shelby. He says they looked much improved on defense and still have lots of speed on offense. He says the soph qb will be really good by seasons end but he needs some game time first. All in all I think they did very well considering the opponent. Final score was either 3-2 or 4-2 in favor of Shelby.

I was told Asheville looked really down by their standards. Apparently Murphy beat them. I don't see them down long though.

ACR looked really good which is expected. He said Erwin and Reynolds will be a battle again.

#20 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to say historically good. Good the last decade, but certainly not historically.
I believe this is the second best match up in week one. Mitchell is building a 1A contender and Erwin is rebounding from losing a great coach. Speed versus disciplined play, should be a dandy.

I agree with this. Erwin played for a state title in the 80's and had some good teams. The early 90's were abysmal though.Starting in 99 things turned around. Who knows this year though.

#21 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

How does Mitchell look so far? Any scrimmages yet?

#22 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

I was told Asheville looked really down by their standards. Apparently Murphy beat them.

Yes, Murphy beat them 3-0. The Cougars may well be down, but Murphy should be very good this season.

#23 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

Yes, Murphy beat them 3-0. The Cougars may well be down, but Murphy should be very good this season.

They are way down compared to normal.

#24 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

How does Mitchell look so far? Any scrimmages yet?

I think they scrimmaged Enka last year, but I'm not real sure who they've scrimmaged the last couple of years, I guess they like to keep it a secret lol

#25 Mountaineer pride

Mountaineer pride

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

I think they scrimmaged Enka last year, but I'm not real sure who they've scrimmaged the last couple of years, I guess they like to keep it a secret lol

JeffChapman-Dynamic