Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Face Guarding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

I understand the rule has changed. I would like to hear from some coaches on what they think about the change and if they are teaching DB's differently as it relates to turning and finding the ball?

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,209 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Best rule change in a while. As long as there is no contact, face guarding is legal. Most coaches like it, except a few receiving coaches I know.

#3 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

Best rule change in a while. As long as there is no contact, face guarding is legal. Most coaches like it, except a few receiving coaches I know.

While I do agree with the change but I haven't seen many face guarding penalties but maybe Once or twice

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#4 Frizzlefrenzy42

Frizzlefrenzy42

Rookie

• Coach
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

I think its the best thing ever!!! Especially since they have been taking so much away from the defense and no one can ever regulate RPO's since no one calls the linemen down field.

#5 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

I guarantee you some officials will still call it.....Rules change but the comprehension and acceptance by the officials usually comes slow.  Renids me of the "unnecessary roughness" rule on downfield hits.  Officials were calling it even when it was perfectly legal.  NCHSAA eventually bent to the will of pubic opinion and the officials.  I understand the safety issues but as we continue to "rule" the game it gets harder to Coach and watch.   

#6 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

Think the problem will be that its now a much tougher call on ref especially if he is out of position. Used to be if the kid didnt turn it was a flag. Now you have to determine contact and if you are trailing thats a tough call sometimes.

#7 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

I have never liked the face guard rule.  As long as no contact I think it should be no penalty.  Have thought that for years.  Wish it were that way at college level, also.  NFL, they can play by whatever rules they want.  Seems that the defenses do not struggle as much as they do at lower levels.

I believe it would be good for all state, Texas and Mass already do, follow the NCAA rules.  Would make for much more simple understanding of the game.  

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Don't like it. Don't have to turn, just simply put your hands up and block vision. With the new rule just teach the DB to look at the head and eyes of the receiver and defend the vision.

#9 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

it maybe a different sport but hands up block vision is HUGE IN round ball and part of the game. Can u just imagine a jump shot and no hand in the face as a defense.
Seems similar to me . Great new rule, finally sonething pro defense .

#10 Jim Baxter

Jim Baxter

JV Team

• Administrator
  • 71 posts
  • Email:scvarsity@sc.rr.com

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

As an offensive coordinator, I wouldn't like this rule at all; as a head coach or defensive guy, I like it. I think it's important because the evolution of the game has really put the defensive guys at a disadvantage; a lot of coaches are throwing athletes on defense and just telling them to make plays. It amazes me at how many DBs i see in our camps that don't have real "coverage skills" and understand leverage and staying in-phase and recovering from being out-of-phase with receivers. 

But as a fan of the game, I like this rule. It will level the playing field so to speak betwen the offense and defensive guys. 

#11 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

As an offensive coordinator, I wouldn't like this rule at all; as a head coach or defensive guy, I like it. I think it's important because the evolution of the game has really put the defensive guys at a disadvantage; a lot of coaches are throwing athletes on defense and just telling them to make plays. It amazes me at how many DBs i see in our camps that don't have real "coverage skills" and understand leverage and staying in-phase and recovering from being out-of-phase with receivers. 

But as a fan of the game, I like this rule. It will level the playing field so to speak betwen the offense and defensive guys. 

Yup....the biggest change at the HS level in the past 4-5 years have been the size of the outside guys. They used to be DE's and OLB's or for that matter power forwards. Now they are wideouts. Used to be a conference had maybe one or two guys in that 6'2-6'4 range. Now you see teams with multiple kids in that range. The size and catch radius of the Wake Forest kids at this years 7 on 7's is really crazy. Page was like that in 2015 as well. Only really one way to defend and that is to get pressure on QB any way possible.

I am sure that is why you see coaches just throwing anyone with size out on the corner and praying because they realize that the 5'9 170lb kid while possibly having great cover and ball skills is really pretty useless because everything has become fade and back shoulder routes. Impossible to cover giving up 6 inches and 50lbs.  

#12 Rick Harrington

Rick Harrington

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

HS officials are not intelligent enough to make a call such as this.  Mind you, they can not call offensive pass interference, even when it is obvious.

#13 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

---no blind side block/must lead with open hand in this type of situation, (a block where defender is vulnerable because

of focus and concentration,,,

--- no pop up type kicks on on side kicks (u cant smash the top side of the ball into the ground)

#14 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

I have never liked the face guard rule. As long as no contact I think it should be no penalty. Have thought that for years. Wish it were that way at college level, also. NFL, they can play by whatever rules they want. Seems that the defenses do not struggle as much as they do at lower levels.

I believe it would be good for all state, Texas and Mass already do, follow the NCAA rules. Would make for much more simple understanding of the game.

Was told by a long time ref that high school rules are much simpler than NCAA plus safer fir the player.

My thought is there is much confusion due to the abundance of college and NFL on tv while people usually see one high school game a week.

#15 MongolGuru

MongolGuru

Established Member

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

It made sense to get rid of it because it was the only scenario of defensive pass interference that didn't involve contact but was still a foul.

Why some of you think that makes it harder to call instead of easier now is either simple bitching or you don't understand how it works anyway.   Most officials I know never liked it and were reluctant to call it unless it was just blatant.

"dance for me, Tartar woman."

JeffChapman-Dynamic