Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Must See: Athens Drive Football Stadium

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Last year Athens Drive High School was able to move into a new football stadium that sits on campus, directly behind the school building.  It replaces Williams Stadium that was further behind the school and provided no cover or safe places to go in the event of sudden inclement weather or other emergencies.  

This new stadium is the standard for how a new school should construct a football facility.  It's very irregular for a Wake County school to have this type of stadium, it really is quite different from the other cookie-cutter type stadiums in the county, but I have to say, it's an outstanding facility and one they should be proud of. 

I would immediately put this stadium in the mix of the better stadiums in NC, and it's become one of my favorites, it has it all, except a field house! 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com Stadium Project : Athens Drive HS : Jaguars Stadium

IMG_2636-M.jpg

#2 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,412 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

Great pressbox and large home stands.  Impressed that Wake County Schools stepped up or did some private donations help them out?

#3 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Didn't know they had land available back there for a stadium. 

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Didn't know they had land available back there for a stadium. 

I didn't either, I'm not sure what was there before. 

#5 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

Looks good though. Maybe the new high school in Fuquay can take inspiration.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Looks good though. Maybe the new high school in Fuquay can take inspiration.

Maybe but I was by Green Level HS on Saturday that Apex will occupy for the next two years and that stadium is another generic cookie cutter with very little character. 

#7 Hagelfish

Hagelfish

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Athens Drive was in desperate need of this. Not only did the old stadium have no place to go for rain/lightning, but it wasn't handicap accessible either. Plus it was just flat out old (and not the good kind of old). The land the old stadium is on is currently owned by the City of Raleigh and was about a mile away from the school. I'm glad the stadium is actually on campus now. In terms of this being a new inspiration, I highly doubt it will be. The AD and select others had some input on what they felt the stadium should look like so I suspect Green Level and Willow Springs would keep the same stadium architecture as the newer schools.

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Wake County stadiums are all about the same. I took in two games at Panther Creek while my daughter was in graduate school. She lived across the street. I never even paid much attention to the stadium because the kids mother's in Cary (Yuppyville) are just hot. Another place I wear sunglasses and creep.

#9 PureBull

PureBull

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Wow.....stadium is top shelf!!

#10 crysnake

crysnake

JV Team

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

Great looking stadium but I always judge stadiums by how well they treat the visitors. Are there concessions and restrooms nearby? or do you have to walk all the way back to the home side. What happens when the visitors come with a large crowd. It's about the total experience for everyone during a game.

JeffChapman-Dynamic