Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 SMC JV Season

1A Football WNC Smoky Mountains

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#51 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

You think there faster than Hooper or Sain?

#52 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Sain doesn't matter if he's playing varsity. Yes I think those 3 kids are ever bit as fast or faster than Hooper.

#53 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

Nope - Sain

But he is on varsity now

Hooper would be 2nd for sure.  Quick kid in a straight line. 

#54 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Well Murphy will show up and play just incase

#55 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

Sain is quick but how fast is he? I don't ever remember him winning any 100 meter sprints in track. It doesn't matter though because Sain is on varsity and even as an upperclassmen will not be as fast as Dorsey or Murray on a track or on a football field.

#56 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Sain is quick but how fast is he? I don't ever remember him winning any 100 meter sprints in track. It doesn't matter though because Sain is on varsity and even as an upperclassmen will not be as fast as Dorsey or Murray on a track or on a football field.

Unless something major changes in the next 4 years and it most certainly will, but Nobody in the SMC other than maybe Rylee Anderson from Robbinsville has dominated more football games in youth through JV than Sain..In my opinion he could be the best to come from this conference in many years. Kills me to say that because I don't care for Swain but that's how I see it
Observer,you are one of the smartest on here and as you know speed in this conference means very little. Heck, the best backs to come out of this conference had NO speed..(McCracken,Galavez,Mathason,Cox,Deitz,etc). Who remembers William Wayne Adams from Robbinsville? Smallest we ever had but one of the best and slow as molasses!
I may be wrong but I see Sain putting moves on 12th graders this year and having an immediate impact just as Rylee Anderson did last year..Sain could dominate beginning next year.

#57 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Respect your opinion Goodknight but agree to disagree on some of that. Kadrian McRae dominated youth league and JV every bit as much as Sain did and he hasnt been some transcendent talent on varsity. A very good player though? absolutely, yes. That's what Sain will be, a very good high school player. A SMC great? we'll see. Either way I stand by my statement.

#58 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

Skylab was much faster than Cruz though.

#59 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

Respect your opinion Goodknight but agree to disagree on some of that. Kadrian McRae dominated youth league and JV every bit as much as Sain did and he hasnt been some transcendent talent on varsity. A very good player though? absolutely, yes. That's what Sain will be, a very good high school player. A SMC great? we'll see. Either way I stand by my statement.

I respect yours to Observer but I followed youth league and JVs very very closely those years and I feel safe in saying that Sain had triple the yardage and triple the TDs than McRae did..but I agree , you never know what will happen on varsity. Sain basically plays football year around, training , attending camps, all star events, vigarous weight and exercise program,etc..He may not pan out and for mine and your sake I hope he doesn't!!! I think what's hurt McRae the most the first few years was he didn't have a very good running back around him. Teams knew in 2014 and 2015 was all they had to do to beat Murphy was stop McRae,so everyone keyed on him..Then last year Murphy was loaded with backs and he done better but didn't get as many carries because the love was spread around to 4 or 5 different backs...The same may doom Sain, because right now Swain does not have any elite backs in the stables. Then again who knew what beast McTaggart,Allen,Roberts, McRae,and the other 10 Running backs Murphy has would turn into..So maybe Swain ends up with some good ones. Who knows

#60 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks GoodNIGHT for showing the respect for one of our Swain players.  He certainly has the potential to be a great running back and has shown that he has the talent that is needed at that position.  It is obvious that teams have tried to stop him.  Which is also a credit to his offensive linemen and teammates.  This Swain group has some talent and they too deserve a lot of credit as well.   

I do know from watching him that he is a hard worker and it is obvious that he works year round.  He looks like he has spends all of his free time in a gym and on a track.  

I had to research the track question from SMC Observer.  Turns out he actually broke the all time Swain Middle School record in the 100m dash and finished 1st in conference this season.  He also finished 2nd in the 200m dash and almost broke that school record.  He is also a very good physical wrestler for Swain.  I am looking forward to seeing him on varsity this season and how he can be used on the next level.  I am confident that he will be an impact player this season and definitely in the future.  Time will tell. 

#61 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

I've never had a problem with Dwain except the special rule in place were SM,Swain,and Cherokee could change kids in middle of season. I'm never for an uneven playing field. That rule was changed about 5 years ago so I'm cool with Dwain. I respect them for the most part. I cannot say that about some other smc teams.

#62 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Let me say that sain is straight up baller and has my respect but Garrett Clapsaddle from Murphy beat him in track all year and would've won the conference championship had he not had a false start. Garrett was the starting QB at Murphy on Jvs last year as an eighth grader and tore his knee against Rosman on one of the first offensive plays of the season requiring surgery ending his season. He made it back in time last year to run track. He's taking this season off and should be back on varsity as a sophomore next year.

#63 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

I had to research the track question from SMC Observer.  Turns out he actually broke the all time Swain Middle School record in the 100m dash and finished 1st in conference this season.

I stand corrected, looked into myself as well. With that said, his times vs. Dorsey and Murray's times as 8th graders still back up my original statement. Clapsaddle's top times last year vs. Sain's are also superior.

I don't want it sound like I'm downing the young man, he's an excellent football player and I know track times don't always directly correlate to "football speed". The only reason I chimed in was because I found it amusing that a few seemed as if they were insinuating Sain was on another plane athletically versus his peers, that's clearly not true.

Sain is very good athlete in his own right, has a great football IQ and he clearly puts in a ton of work, so whatever natural athletic advantage a few of his peers may have, it is likely negated through that.

#64 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

Where did Hooper place in the 100m or 200m ? Or did he run those races?

#65 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

SMC Observer, You said it best when you said football speed.  

As for track speed there are a lot of variables such as starting technique, reaction time, acceleration, dive phase, stride length, foot speed, etc.  I'm confident that if there were 10 races between the athletes we are talking about then no way any of them could win all ten times on the same day or different days..  When it gets down to a tenth of a second or even a hundredth of a second then it is just too close to call.  If you talk about stride length then Clapsaddle or Hooper has an edge there with size, if you talk about acceleration or foot speed then I would say Sain has an edge there.  It's probably a wash in other areas.  The athletes we are talking about are all very athletically gifted and perhaps the only thing that would separate them is their focus, work ethic and heart.      

But when your inside those white lines on grass or turf, then you have to consider football speed.   Vision, agility, starting and stopping, football iq, technique and quickness, etc..  I will take Sain every time to have the best chance to score or even get a first down.  

Great Debate!  Love that we have this level of talent in the SMC!  

We are going to have a good time watching some great games over the next several years.       

#66 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

Yeap

#67 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

McCracken and Clapsaddle should both be back playing on varsity next season. Yes it sucks for this year's JV team, but the important thing is that they will be playing varsity football.

#68 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Established Member

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:37 AM

McCracken and Clapsaddle should both be back playing on varsity next season. Yes it sucks for this year's JV team, but the important thing is that they will be playing varsity football.

Is McCracken hurt?

#69 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

Is McCracken hurt?

Sent you a pm

#70 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Swain JV just had team pictures this week and we had a total of 28 players with two missing.  So 30 total. 

Like I said before this is a young group this season.  (6 9th graders, 19 8th graders and 5 7th graders)  

This group only lost one game together in youth league so it will be a transition year to JV. 

In my option we have a great coaching staff that can pull this team together.  I am excited to see the growth this team will have this season.     

If they can keep the turnovers down and not beat themselves with young mistakes, I feel they can have a good shot at the conference title again this season.  Can't wait until September 7th. 

#71 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Swain JV just had team pictures this week and we had a total of 28 players with two missing. So 30 total.

Like I said before this is a young group this season. (6 9th graders, 19 8th graders and 5 7th graders)
This group only lost one game together in youth league so it will be a transition year to JV.
In my option we have a great coaching staff that can pull this team together. I am excited to see the growth this team will have this season.

If they can keep the turnovers down and not beat themselves with young mistakes, I feel they can have a good shot at the conference title again this season. Can't wait until September 7th.

I'm not sure of the young man's name but swain had a very tall kid playing running back on midgets, very impressive. With sain gone do you think that kid gets reps? Does the Collins kid stay at QB or will he be a RB in years to come? I've watched those kids for a long time, both are very good.

#72 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yes with Sain up on varsity Donovan Groenwold will be wearing number 20 and may just be the starting tailback this season.  He is actually a 7th grader so he is only 12 and will be getting some good experience this season.  Isiah Collins will be wearing number 2 and will be at QB.  He is very familiar with this offense so he should transition very well.  I see him playing QB until he graduates. 

#73 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yes with Sain up on varsity Donovan Groenwold will be wearing number 20 and may just be the starting tailback this season. He is actually a 7th grader so he is only 12 and will be getting some good experience this season. Isiah Collins will be wearing number 2 and will be at QB. He is very familiar with this offense so he should transition very well. I see him playing QB until he graduates.

Yes Groenwold. I thought he was only a seventh grader but to be honest he has the size of a freshman right now. I've watched him a lot in youth league, runs really hard.

#74 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

There are a few other athletes in the conference that I've paid attention to over the years that could be really good this season. Andrews has 2, Tucker Holloway and Cabe Ellis. IMO the Ellis kid could be one of the best DBs in the conference. I think the Holloway kid plays QB. Hayesville has the Mctaggart kid at QB. He's very tall and athletic. I honestly have no idea what Cherokee or Rosman bring back.

#75 dogtuff

dogtuff

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

I doubt Clapsaddle plays anymore football. Hope he does .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1A Football, WNC, Smoky Mountains

JeffChapman-Dynamic