Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 SMC JV Season

1A Football WNC Smoky Mountains

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#26 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

I stand corrected - A good back makes a difference.  Robbinsville might become the surprise team this season like Andrews last year. 

I had to adjust my best guess rankings:

1. Swain

2. Murphy

3. Andrews

4. Robbinsville

5. Hayesville

6. Cherokee

7. Rosman

#27 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

I stand corrected - A good back makes a difference. Robbinsville might become the surprise team this season like Andrews last year.
I had to adjust my best guess rankings:
1. Swain
2. Murphy
3. Andrews
4. Robbinsville
5. Hayesville
6. Cherokee
7. Rosman

Switch Robbinsville and Andrews and you are getting close

#28 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

Same ole same ole
.BIG 3

#29 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

McCracken is not from Murphy.

You're right, but the young man has lived in Murphy for a long time now. His mom remarried to a man from Murphy and they've been living here since. I don't know how it is in Robbinsville but there are a tons of kids that go to school here that aren't "from Murphy".

I was born in Murphy but probably close to 50% of the kids I graduated with weren't and that was over a decade ago, I'm assuming the number is still similarly high now.

#30 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

Wow,50%.
That's alo

#31 ObserveAndReport

ObserveAndReport

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Well, if we're getting real technical about it, I bet hardly any of Robbinsville's kids were born there.  Unless born at home.

#32 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Isra Smith could play runningback for Murphy this year, he's easily the best athlete on the team so putting him in a position where he's guaranteed to get the ball a lot isn't a bad idea. McCracken is obviously a very good athlete too but better suited for wingback in my opinion. Murphy should be very stout at fullback with Ray Rathburn, Ray should be the top fullback in the conference.

Murphy's biggest question mark going into the season is QB, there are some options there but no guarantees. I'm also unsure how good the receiving core will be, the running game should be very strong though.

Smith at tail, Ray at full and McCracken at wing would make a strong trio for sure.

#33 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

If your under 45 you was born in Bryson or sylva or murphy. That's funny though. I would guess 75% of robbinsville kids are local with generationsome of family here. Just look at the last names.

#34 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Bryce Sain will be playing on the Swain Varsity Maroon Devil football team this season. 

#35 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Bryce Sain will be playing on the Swain Varsity Maroon Devil football team this season. 

Not very surprising, Swain varsity needs an injection of athleticism at the skill positions. Not sure how much of an impact he will have on the varsity level this year though, at least against the better teams on the schedule. Sain is on the small side even for his own age group and that gap will obviously be much larger at the varsity level.

#36 dogtuff

dogtuff

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

McCraken not playing this year.

#37 WHC02

WHC02

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hayesville has a lot of good talent in the upcoming Freshmen class including two McClure boys that are son and nephew to the coach who is returning to football after a couple years off. Also, a good 8th grade qb/te who is going to be a giant.  Should be a fun year especially if Andrews is expected to play well too.  Good luck to all.

#38 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

McCraken not playing this year.

Well crap, in addition to Clapsaddle not playing (though he should be back next season on varsity) that's pretty bad news for Murphy JV.

#39 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

With McCracken and Clapsaddle not playing I would say 2nd is Andrews' to lose.

#40 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Sounds like this is shaping up to be an interesting season and we will have some good ball games to watch.  Impact players moving up to varsity and others not playing.  Sounds like JV ball. 

I would have to agree with SMC Observer that Sain will bring some athleticism to the Swain varsity team.  I even think he will have an impact on some games this season which can be hard to do as a freshman.  Based on what I have seen which is a small amount of practice time, he looks bigger and even faster than last season. He has packed on some more muscle so he does not look like he has a small frame.  He has always shown that he plays much bigger than he looks.  

Swain still has talent on the JV team this season.  They may be a young team but they have talent at the skill positions and they have size and depth on the line.  I have watched most of their practices and their coaching staff is doing a good job.  I would say they can pull them together to have a good run at the SMC championship again this season.  Still my favorite for the obvious reasons.   

I'm looking forward to watching some good ball games this season. 

How do you think these changes will effect the end of season standings?      

#41 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

I heard Robbinsville had around 25-30 working out yesterday on JVs.. maybe the number increases when official practice starts. I was told the line would average over 200lbs and they had a couple fast backs and a couple fast receivers along with #20 who should be carrying the mail. Not sure how it all pans out though..I am still not sold on Andrews... Never will be.

#42 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

I was told this morning that JVs didn't start practice to near the last week of August.Is this true?

#43 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

I said practices but meant voluntary workouts.  I think our official JV practices start around Monday, August 14th.  Have not heard yet. 

The first game I think will be on the 24th of August.  This year I think we open with Hayesville at Swain.

#44 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Unless something has changed.  I know there were some talk about changing the start date.  If so then it may be closer to the end of the August. 

I am just assuming based on last years schedule.  

#45 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

1awain.
2.andrews
3.muephy.
4.robbinsville.
5.hayescille.
6cherokee.
7.rosmam.

#46 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

Sug 18th practice. Sept.7th first game.

#47 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Wow September 7th!  Talk about a lot of "off season workouts" and practices before the first game.   

Six games and maybe a bye week and it will be the end of October before the end of the JV season this year. 

Maybe we will get lucky and the conference title will come down to the last game of the year again this season. 

#48 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hope so. Robbinsville vs andrews

#49 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

JV Dogs are just fine lol. They're pretty deep at skill positions IMO. Two freshman Rylan Dickey and Ryan Shane. Eighth grader Chandler Wood. I'd put those three in a foot race with anyone in the conference.

#50 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

You think there faster than Hooper or Sain?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1A Football, WNC, Smoky Mountains

JeffChapman-Dynamic