Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 SMC JV Season

1A Football WNC Smoky Mountains

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

How are your teams looking this preseason? 

Andrews

Cherokee

Hayesville

Murphy

Robbinsville

Rosman

Swain

Predictions? 

#2 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

1 Swain
2 Murphy
3 Andrews
4 Robbinsville
5 Hayesville
6 Cherokee
7 Rosman

IMO Swain should be even better than last year. Murphy has too many unknowns at this point. Andrews may surprise a few folks, will depend on their line play. They have the skill players. Robbinsville lost alot, could easily flip them with Hayesville.

#3 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hey Cold Biscuit, is everyone that should be playing this year, playing? Clapsaddle, I. Smith, D. Smith, Rathburn, McCracken, Davis, etc.?

#4 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:35 PM

Sent you a message observer.

#5 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

It is JV ball so allot can change quickly.  Especially if a varsity team has a need to move up key players to fill needs.  This could be the case for a few of these teams (except Murphy).  

Just my preseason opinion, but Andrews and Hayesville will certainly be better this year.  With the chatter I have been hearing, Andrews and or Hayesville will take a solid run at Murphy this season.  More than likely it will be Andrews.  I even had an Andrews player tell me that their JV team could give their varsity some trouble this season.  Murphy will certainly be competitive but I have heard that they have some key holes to fill.  I can foresee some close games that can go either way with these three teams.  

I also see Cherokee being competitive again this season but they had allot move up from last years team.  

Robbinsville may drop off significantly and I see them as possibly competing with Rosman for the bottom of the conference. 

So I would say my early rankings would be:

1. Swain

2. Andrews

3. Murphy

4. Hayesville

5. Cherokee

6. Robbinsville

7. Rosman

#6 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

Sent you a message observer.

check your inbox

#7 Cold Biscuit

Cold Biscuit

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

Swaindad40 I can't really argue with that at this point. Murphy has alot of talent this year, their line should be huge but it's true they're replacing alot.

#8 ObserveAndReport

ObserveAndReport

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

It is JV ball so allot can change quickly.  Especially if a varsity team has a need to move up key players to fill needs.  This could be the case for a few of these teams (except Murphy).  

Just my preseason opinion, but Andrews and Hayesville will certainly be better this year.  With the chatter I have been hearing, Andrews and or Hayesville will take a solid run at Murphy this season.  More than likely it will be Andrews.  I even had an Andrews player tell me that their JV team could give their varsity some trouble this season.  Murphy will certainly be competitive but I have heard that they have some key holes to fill.  I can foresee some close games that can go either way with these three teams.  

Andrews' 9th grade class is a once-in-a-decade type class for a school that size.  But with Andrews, even a class like that usually just equals sneaking into top half of the conference, like with the '11 seniors.  Basketball may be another story with this group, but numbers will always hamper Andrews  in football even with a few serious athletes.

#9 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

Hate to be negative but I'm afraid Andrews will always be Andrews..Wish them the best though..Got several good athletes

#10 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

Robbinsville and Swain will have the two top running backs in the conference

#11 ObserveAndReport

ObserveAndReport

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

Hate to be negative but I'm afraid Andrews will always be Andrews..Wish them the best though..Got several good athletes

When you think that they didn't win a conference game for a decade not too long ago, they have come a long way the last 6 or 7 years.  But even with their best groups--and this JV crop is one of their better groups--sheer numbers will make it very tough to finish at the top of the conference.   

#12 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

What running backs are you talking about Goodknight?

#13 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

What running backs are you talking about Goodknight?

20-20

#14 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

Gotta admit I don't know who 20 is.

#15 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

20 From Swain is Bryce Sain

20 From Robbinsville is Lex Hooper (I think)

#16 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, I know lex.

#17 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

I have not personally seen Robbinsville's running back #20 Lex Hooper run the ball much over the years.  He could be an unknown factor because he always seemed to play behind Anderson.  I also think Murphy, Andrews and Hayesville each have a good running back.  McCracken from Murphy may be good this season.  I personally think he is a better defensive player but he has the skills to be on both sides of the ball.  Andrews has a number 4 from last year that can run the ball from time to time.  Shifty and quick with decent speed.  Hayesville had a number 23 or 24 (Can't remember...) that showed that he could run the ball as well. 

As we all know QB is a critical position and I think Hayesville, Andrews and Swain will have good quarterback play.  Not sure about the other teams.  I know Cherokee, Robbinsville, and Rosman are probably going to have to develop a young quarterback this year.  Correct me if I am wrong.    

Best line play should be close between Swain and Murphy for sure.  Both teams are solid up front this season with good numbers.  

Any other teams have some talent up front?        

#18 GoodKNIGHT

GoodKNIGHT

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

I have not personally seen Robbinsville's running back #20 Lex Hooper run the ball much over the years. He could be an unknown factor because he always seemed to play behind Anderson. I also think Murphy, Andrews and Hayesville each have a good running back. McCracken from Murphy may be good this season. I personally think he is a better defensive player but he has the skills to be on both sides of the ball. Andrews has a number 4 from last year that can run the ball from time to time. Shifty and quick with decent speed. Hayesville had a number 23 or 24 (Can't remember...) that showed that he could run the ball as well.

As we all know QB is a critical position and I think Hayesville, Andrews and Swain will have good quarterback play. Not sure about the other teams. I know Cherokee, Robbinsville, and Rosman are probably going to have to develop a young quarterback this year. Correct me if I am wrong.

Best line play should be close between Swain and Murphy for sure. Both teams are solid up front this season with good numbers.

http://www.hudl.com/...42eb2515c8d5f3c Hooper after Anderson's move to varsity..not sure if a link to another site is permitted..if not please remove mod..

#19 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

I have not personally seen Robbinsville's running back #20 Lex Hooper run the ball much over the years.  He could be an unknown factor because he always seemed to play behind Anderson.  I also think Murphy, Andrews and Hayesville each have a good running back.  McCracken from Murphy may be good this season.  I personally think he is a better defensive player but he has the skills to be on both sides of the ball.  Andrews has a number 4 from last year that can run the ball from time to time.  Shifty and quick with decent speed.  Hayesville had a number 23 or 24 (Can't remember...) that showed that he could run the ball as well. 

As we all know QB is a critical position and I think Hayesville, Andrews and Swain will have good quarterback play.  Not sure about the other teams.  I know Cherokee, Robbinsville, and Rosman are probably going to have to develop a young quarterback this year.  Correct me if I am wrong.    

Best line play should be close between Swain and Murphy for sure.  Both teams are solid up front this season with good numbers.  

Isra Smith could play runningback for Murphy this year, he's easily the best athlete on the team so putting him in a position where he's guaranteed to get the ball a lot isn't a bad idea. McCracken is obviously a very good athlete too but better suited for wingback in my opinion. Murphy should be very stout at fullback with Ray Rathburn, Ray should be the top fullback in the conference.

Murphy's biggest question mark going into the season is QB, there are some options there but no guarantees. I'm also unsure how good the receiving core will be, the running game should be very strong though.

#20 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

McCracken is not from Murphy.

#21 murphy1981

murphy1981

JV Team

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:16 PM

McCracken is not from Murphy.

Yes, His father was a great back for the Black Knights.

#22 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Both parents are from R-Ville.

#23 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Not a bad film GoodKNIGHT.  Granted it was one game vs a struggling Hayesville team.  Some of those holes were wide open.  It will be interesting to see how he will do this year. 

I agree with SMC Observer regarding McCracken being better suited for wingback in Murphy's Offense.  Isra Smith - Is he number 30?  I have to say I don't remember him from last years team but I do from Midgets a few years back.  If it is the same kid.  Ray Rathburn has some competition for best fullback with Damien Lossigh from Swain.  He can run the ball but his greatest ability it to lay some killer blocks.     

Its funny how some of the bloodlines go in our SM Conference.  Seems like everyone has a family member that has ties to Robbinsville, Murphy, Swain, Cherokee, ETC.  Regardless of rivalry I always pull for a SMC team in the playoffs unless they play Swain.  Haha!

#24 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

Swain dad here some other teams
http://www.hudl.com/...1fa7f673085e2b5

#25 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for sharing.  He is a good ball player and he could have a very good season this year.  

Robbinsville has allot of talent with their upcoming 10th and 9th graders.

This group will give us some good battles over the next four years for sure!  

I have watched this Robbinsville group ever sense peewees in 2009. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1A Football, WNC, Smoky Mountains

JeffChapman-Dynamic