Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 1A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:53 AM

Here they are, the long awaited 2017 Preseason Power Rankings.  Make sure to check out the front page article to see in-depth video breakdowns of the rankings featuring myself and football analyst Jay Sonnhalter.  Let the discussion begin! 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Familiar Names Atop 2017 Preseason Power Rankings

i-NnhFL89-L.png

#2 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

Wow

#3 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

Pretty good. I like seeing East Wilkes in the top 10, and of course I don't like where you put Mitchell :D

#4 patricklsu

patricklsu

JV Team

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

Holmes will win small 1A championship mark my words you heard it here first lol

#5 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Holmes will win small 1A championship mark my words you heard it here first lol

Holmes will be 1aa...

#6 patricklsu

patricklsu

JV Team

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

Oh danggg didn't realize that I know they are small but I guess big for 1A

#7 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

Holmes would have a ruff time winning small 1a.

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

Holmes would have a ruff time winning small 1a.

Are you kidding me!  Holmes would have a great shot at returning to the state championship game in 2A this year.  Good is good regardless of classification.  Paul Hoggard has made Edenton a bonafide contender, I was there earlier this spring, they've got a lot of talented players and his weight program is very strong, the overall team strength paired with already incredible team speed will make them a tough opponent for anyone. 

#9 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

No faith in WM Chris? But we normally aren't top 5 regardless in preseason rankings.

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

No faith in WM Chris? But we normally aren't top 5 regardless in preseason rankings.

I have plenty of faith in West Montgomery, but I don't think you are a Top-5 team right now.  You'll certainly have plenty of time to prove me wrong and I really hope you do, I have a lot of friends in that program and I always cheer for the Warriors....(Although I cheer for everyone else too). 

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

You see his thoughts. MICS ahead of y'all,speaking truth WM vs MICS. Your so called glory days are behind you. None of you had MICS even ranked top 40 preseason. Now were 6th, which will continue to rise.

I'll say this, and Black Richmond, I'm not trying to blow up your ego or cause WW3 among our posters, but David Gentry himself told me this week that Mountain Island Charter has the "best talent he's seen" in 1A, he said "they had players that we just couldn't cover".  I know that some people like to hold on to traditional favorites, and I totally get it and understand it, but I think the facts are the facts, Mountain Island Charter as well as other new non-traditional schools that pop up are going to be the standard, not the exception in the years to come. 

I've spoken with NCHSAA Board of Directors members as well as members of our NC State Legislature and you can rest assured, Charter Schools aren't going anywhere.

#12 SwainDad40

SwainDad40

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Thank you Chris for the time and the effort that was put into this preseason rankings.  I can tell this was not just one of those preseason polls that were just thrown together.  There are facts and research behind each of the rankings.  I understand that sometimes it is hard to compare teams that have dropped down to 1a from 2a and east teams vs west teams.  So there is allot to keep into consideration. 

Not to mention charter schools and the volume of transfers.  Which I believe is a competitive advantage for them and should be classified in a different conference at the state level.  Nothing we can do about it as it is within the current rules and I am sure it is going to be like this for the upcoming years.  However, this is obviously putting other 1a public state schools at a competitive disadvantage as we (mountain schools do not have this luxury or the talent pool also know as Charlotte NC in the backyard). If it continues to develop into what we believe it will, then the days of having an equal opportunity to win state championships are gone.........    

Very grateful for the #10 ranking - Swain has allot of potential this season with the senior leadership that they will have with the extremely talented youth movement behind them with the Sophomore and Freshmen classes (and JV).  The passing game looks very sharp and strong.  We will have to be determined to find a strong running game to setup our passing game.  Fear the veer!  Now lookout for Swain over the next three seasons!  Something is building in these hills. 

We have another solid non conference schedule to start off the year.  But the key matchups for us this year will be our conference games with Cherokee, Hayesville and Robbinsville.  Can't wait for the season to start!  10 more days and counting! 

#13 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Appreciate the love, but the game is played on the field all we do here is speculate. It's fun and normally we are counted out before the season starts. But we have seemed to prove others wrong many times. Actually we love that position, gives kids that extra passion to compete. Good luck to all the kids out there, I'm ready for some football!!

#14 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Chris, just remember you had us ranked 19 last Aug. 1st, then fast forward to November. Keep an eye on the boys in Wadeville, NC

#15 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

----DELETED----

Edited by Chris Hughes, 21 July 2017 - 09:14 PM.
Come on man, you can do better.

#16 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

Are you kidding me! 

Murphy is going to be pretty damn good, best team they've fielded in many years. I'm not sure Knights is off base to say Holmes would have their work cut out for them as it concerns winning the small 1A title this year. You do have Murphy ranked ahead of them Chris..

#17 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Blakk u are a disgrace. U have already got embarrassed on the 4a board. Our kids have great pride and always compete! I'm done with u and this joke.

#18 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

And to be honest CP's won't let me tell u what u really need to hear. Let's just let the pads to the talking rest of the way, it's works well for us

#19 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

Yeah it was just so terrible, u know winning 13-15 games every season, playing in Ships, so terrible. One of the best facilities around, oh yeah he had it bad man.

#20 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

U don't know why he left so quit speculating. There is always more reasons than u think. He took the WM job back in 2011 because he knew he could win there and build he resume. Crest is one of the top jobs in the State and yes more pay let's get that right. Leaving a program that laid the foundation for his career was not easy for him. We have about 70% of our starters back from last year and a great coach with a strong defensive mind. WM isn't going away.

#21 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Great news

#22 Alex Rains

Alex Rains

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:11 AM

15? Jay is slipping.

#23 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:57 AM

So Holmes wouldn't have a tuff time with murphy? Then why is Murphy ranked above them? I think you(chris)might need to reread my post. You obviously think Holmes will beat murphy 40-00. Really? Wow!

#24 radioguy16

radioguy16

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

Really loving the East Wilkes spot at 8! 

#25 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Surprised Mitchell is that low. I expected them in top 8 with skill players they have returning. Maybe the line losses will have a bigger impact

JeffChapman-Dynamic