Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 2A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  You guys obviously have yours.  We have ours based on the eye test.  Lincolnton wasn't at all what they were built up to be.  They were drummed by Maiden.  

We saw Reidsville in the 'ship.  They were a one man show.  There are many teams that would have easily have shut him (them) down.  The Holmes offense was really pretty ridiculous.  Honestly looked like a middle school.  

Huss, Monroe, even NS-Jax would have beat them.  It is what it is.

#27 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  You guys obviously have yours.  We have ours based on the eye test.  Lincolnton wasn't at all what they were built up to be.  They were drummed by Maiden.  

We saw Reidsville in the 'ship.  They were a one man show.  There are many teams that would have easily have shut him (them) down.  The Holmes offense was really pretty ridiculous.  Honestly looked like a middle school.  

And he is back!!

At least you are consistent.

Guess that post on 4A thread was an anomaly?

#28 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You guys obviously have yours. We have ours based on the eye test. Lincolnton wasn't at all what they were built up to be. They were drummed by Maiden.

We saw Reidsville in the 'ship. They were a one man show. There are many teams that would have easily have shut him (them) down. The Holmes offense was really pretty ridiculous. Honestly looked like a middle school.

Huss, Monroe, even NS-Jax would have beat them. It is what it is.

I'd take you on that bet. I still say the only team that may have beaten reidsville is Shelby in 2a.

#29 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Thought about this for a while and have a little time so let's look a little more at this statement:

Huss scared the !@#$ out of Shelby in playoffs until 4th quarter. Think most of the fans have admitted they were talented as even you do in various posts by saying they would walk through teams from east.

Huss beat South Point by 5 in regular season.

Overhyped Lincolnton beat South Point in OT by 1. And also beat East Lincoln (at their place by 7) a team that beat Huss in 1st game of year.

Overhyped Lincolnton lost to Reidsville 28-7 in 4th round?

To say Reidsville couldn't compete with these teams is both ludicrous and myopic. 

And have been told by many Rams fans that the transfer from Randolph County was not their best player...

But I think he may have been that night.   B) 

#30 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thought about this for a while and have a little time so let's look a little more at this statement:

Huss scared the !@#$ out of Shelby in playoffs until 4th quarter. Think most of the fans have admitted they were talented as even you do in various posts by saying they would walk through teams from east.

Huss beat South Point by 5 in regular season.

Overhyped Lincolnton beat South Point in OT by 1. And also beat East Lincoln (at their place by 7) a team that beat Huss in 1st game of year.

Overhyped Lincolnton lost to Reidsville 28-7 in 4th round?

To say Reidsville couldn't compete with these teams is both ludicrous and myopic. 

And have been told by many Rams fans that the transfer from Randolph County was not their best player...

But I think he may have been that night.   B)

He may have been the best overall player on the team. But we weren't a one man team

#31 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:32 PM

He may have been the best overall player on the team. But we weren't a one man team

kms51 never said last year's Reidsville team was without other weapons. Cannot win state in any classification with just one player. Just mentioned a few times on another board how I was keeping up with how he was doing. Was told numerous times that he was 2nd or 3rd best LB/2nd best RB, etc.

Then like I said the last game of the year the young man scores like 10 TDs and has 25 tackles (OK I tend to exaggerate).

As I said then would have liked to see what ER would have done with him in backfield to go with QB play they had last year.

#32 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

kms51 never said last year's Reidsville team was without other weapons. Cannot win state in any classification with just one player. Just mentioned a few times on another board how I was keeping up with how he was doing. Was told numerous times that he was 2nd or 3rd best LB/2nd best RB, etc.

Then like I said the last game of the year the young man scores like 10 TDs and has 25 tackles (OK I tend to exaggerate).

As I said then would have liked to see what ER would have done with him in backfield to go with QB play they had last year.

I was talking about the Shelby poster. 

#33 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I was talking about the Shelby poster. 

OOPS.

Sorry since you quoted mine I assumed...

Won't be my first mistake today. Ask my wife she will tell you.

#34 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

There are going to be a bunch of teams have their dreams crushed with West Craven, Hibriten, South Point, Pisgah, and North Davidson moving to this classification. The four titles in 2a/2aa and 3a/3aa will be much more difficult for the teams that have consistantly been in these groups.

Moving down a classification doesn't guarantee automatic success over the teams that have been 2AA/2A......prime example when Tarboro went 1A after being so dominant in 2A......dont get me wrong they have been good but no trips to state since going down to 1A.....that will probably end this season though

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#35 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

This above is true but I'm not basing this on just moving down as there are teams cosistantly in lower classes that dominate upper classification schools. I saw South Point a couple times last year. The start of the season was dismal for Red Raiders until the coaches got the kids on track and then they played lights out. They return most of that group especially the defense. They are going to be very good.

Hibriten graduated a few kids that were strong contributors but they have more than enough to contend for a championship in 2aa. Their run oriented offense will be outstanding but lack a passing attack to compliment the power on the ground which played a role in the big loss to South Point.

North Davidson has two years of athletes that do not move to the newly built school which translates to a 4a talent pool playing in 2a/2aa. It will difficult for many school to overcome that advantage.

Pisgah plays scrappy football and competed well in 3a. Their style of play will wear a lot of teams down. Regardless of the line up they add real value to the western playoffs.

#36 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

This above is true but I'm not basing this on just moving down as there are teams cosistantly in lower classes that dominate upper classification schools. I saw South Point a couple times last year. The start of the season was dismal for Red Raiders until the coaches got the kids on track and then they played lights out. They return most of that group especially the defense. They are going to be very good.

Hibriten graduated a few kids that were strong contributors but they have more than enough to contend for a championship in 2aa. Their run oriented offense will be outstanding but lack a passing attack to compliment the power on the ground which played a role in the big loss to South Point.

North Davidson has two years of athletes that do not move to the newly built school which translates to a 4a talent pool playing in 2a/2aa. It will difficult for many school to overcome that advantage.

Pisgah plays scrappy football and competed well in 3a. Their style of play will wear a lot of teams down. Regardless of the line up they add real value to the western playoffs.

Good break down.....what do you think about West Craven?They were very good in 3A last year beat Havelock during the regular season lost to them in the playoffs....hearing they will be a handfull for us on the eastern side of 2AA.........would love a chamce to see Clinton vs South Point they play out style of football....of course im hearing now we are experimenting with a new offense thats more balance

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#37 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

Never seen West Craven but I have friend's in the area who think they may be the best team in the east. They have always had exception athletes in that area in all sports. Competing with the ADM they had for 3A indicates they will be strong. As far as losing to the Rams, people say they got out coached not out athleted. JBB does great game planning. Three peats prove it.

May favorite feel good story in the east is Holmes. They go out and hire a coach for AD who was slammed for not winning at a very bad and undisciplined Thomasville then he hires a coach treated like dirt by fans. Together these two pump that program straight to a championship game in two years. Mattera has done good things and will continue to do good things. The east 1AA goes thru Holmes.

#38 Chopper747

Chopper747

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see North Davidson meet up with West Craven for 2AA, given the question marks for everyone else this season.

#39 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

There is no doubt N. Davidson will be good this year. I think they will go deep in the playoffs and who knows they may be a surprise team to go all the way.

#40 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see North Davidson meet up with West Craven for 2AA, given the question marks for everyone else this season.

You'd pick nd over shelby?

#41 Chopper747

Chopper747

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

You'd pick nd over shelby?

Shelby may most likely go 2A, even if Shelby goes 2AA a ND win should not be a surprise with ALL things considered. A Shelby win would not be surprising either.   2AA will not be a cake walk for anybody.

#42 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing about Shelby most likely being 2A. But I know also that South Point most likely will be 2AA. They could have a say on that. But should be some good competition going on in the playoffs.

#43 RaiderTrap

RaiderTrap

JV Team

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

In 2016 Lincolnton did beat South Point as part of a group of 4 teams that beat SP in the first 6 weeks but after that the Raider "D" turned it to a notch you don't see very often. I would estimate the Raider "D" may not have given up 200 rushing in the 5 playoff games combined. I know Hibriten and Rocky Mt barely surpassed 50 yards combined. Pisgah, Tuscola and West Henderson surely didn't rush for 150 combined.

South Point wasn't the same team at the end of the year as it was when it lost in overtime to Lincolnton. Reidsville may have matched up with SP early but not down the stretch.

#44 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

Lincolnton had 2 big plays in the game that lead to scores. Other than that they did nothing. Mickey Lineberger made some offensive changes that led to a more productive offense but the defense was one for the ages. When you can't cross the 50 yard line it makes for a short field for the offense to work.

South Point will be deep in the championship hunt in 2AA. Bring extra underwear for the kids because Belmont kids hit really hard. I expect the last game of the season, Shelby vs South Point to have some violent defensive hits. These two do not like each other at all.

#45 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Shelby n South Point will be a good one to watch. I'm even tempted on going to that one.

#46 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

In 2016 Lincolnton did beat South Point as part of a group of 4 teams that beat SP in the first 6 weeks but after that the Raider "D" turned it to a notch you don't see very often. I would estimate the Raider "D" may not have given up 200 rushing in the 5 playoff games combined. I know Hibriten and Rocky Mt barely surpassed 50 yards combined. Pisgah, Tuscola and West Henderson surely didn't rush for 150 combined.

South Point wasn't the same team at the end of the year as it was when it lost in overtime to Lincolnton. Reidsville may have matched up with SP early but not down the stretch.

You only beat Rocky Mount by 11. You guys were good, but I'm not buying it. 

#47 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

South Point did a great job on defense in the playoffs.  Allowing 13 points in 5 games with 3 of those being shutouts. That is seldom seen in any year.

However...

According to SuperRaiders.com-The Official Website for South Point High School Football they weren't quite as dominant as you stated. Here are the opponents rushing numbers from their box scores:

West Henderson-64

Tuscola-94

Pisgah-65

Hibriten-83

Rocky Mount-27 (Very Impressive)

That is total of 333 for playoffs. Comes to 66.6 yards per game. Also very impressive.

Hibriten and Rocky Mount combined for 110 again impressive but quite a bit more than 50.

First three combined for 223.

South Point DID have a great run. Just wasn't quite as stingy in yards allowed (according to their web site) as remembered.

#48 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

I expect the last game of the season, Shelby vs South Point to have some violent defensive hits. These two do not like each other at all.

Pretty excited about this one.  Could be a preview for the playoffs.  With what we have coming back, especially on defense, I just can't see us losing to anyone this year (barring any injuries) with the exception of Rock Hill South Pointe possibly.  I just think it is going to be extremely hard to score any points on us, running or passing, and our offense will be able to score quite a bit.  Last year we would have won a few games without our offense ever stepping on the field due to defensive scores and the defense just shutting down the other team. Should be an awesome year.....4 days until the #driveforfive begins!

#49 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Tavaris Scott is a good addition to Shelby. What position is he playing this year?

#50 shelbyfan

shelbyfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

Was running back, but i hear may get switched to defense,

JeffChapman-Dynamic