Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 2A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

Here they are, the long awaited 2017 Preseason Power Rankings.  Make sure to check out the front page article to see in-depth video breakdowns of the rankings featuring myself and football analyst Jay Sonnhalter.  Let the discussion begin! 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Familiar Names Atop 2017 Preseason Power Rankings

i-5DsmZK9-L.png

#2 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Thought reidsville would be a little higher. Wallace rose hill too

#3 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thought reidsville would be a little higher. Wallace rose hill too

Reidsville yes, but WRH is just moving up, and with a new HC. While I have no doubt they will contend at the 2a level, I think it is a fair rank for the pre season. I think Pisgah and mountain heritage should switch, but I respect Chris' judgement.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Reidsville yes, but WRH is just moving up, and with a new HC. While I have no doubt they will contend at the 2a level, I think it is a fair rank for the pre season. I think Pisgah and mountain heritage should switch, but I respect Chris' judgement.

I could understand your thoughts on Pisgah and Mountian Heritage. I spoke to both head coaches in-depth this week and feel both have a very high ceiling this year.

#5 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

I'll take it a lot of good teams in 2a this year

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

There are going to be a bunch of teams have their dreams crushed with West Craven, Hibriten, South Point, Pisgah, and North Davidson moving to this classification. The four titles in 2a/2aa and 3a/3aa will be much more difficult for the teams that have consistantly been in these groups.

#7 CougarsOfAHS

CougarsOfAHS

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Seen Hendersonville multiple times this year. If they have any kind of line play. Watch out for them.

#8 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hibriten should be lower. We shouldn't even be ranked other than that looks pretty good.

#9 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

Pisgah is not a top 10 team,

#10 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

I could understand your thoughts on Pisgah and Mountian Heritage. I spoke to both head coaches in-depth this week and feel both have a very high ceiling this year.

Both are good, regionally. I still contend that 2a/2aa is tougher than 3a/3aa. If hendo plays defense this year I believe they are the only mountain team to have a shot at a ship in 2a. But if they play good defense, then they could be a top 5, maybe higher team no doubt. On paper, that offense is scary. Potentially the best in 2a, imo of course.

#11 shelbyfan

shelbyfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Shelby, 4 yrs running should still be team to beat, 2a or 2aa.
Drive for 5 baby

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

Shelby's offense will be good but not as good as the last three years. QB is good but the receivers are not as explosive after the catch. Brooks should see more carries than in past years. Brooks is a very tough running back to tackle. The defense will be exceptional from the front seven. I doubt other than Southe Pointe and South Point anyone can run on them.

To knock off the Golden Lions it will take an explosive passing team.

Question for the Shelby fans: did the Crest Pettis kid transfer to Shelby? If so where does he fit in?

#13 Chopper747

Chopper747

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

Both are good, regionally. I still contend that 2a/2aa is tougher than 3a/3aa. If hendo plays defense this year I believe they are the only mountain team to have a shot at a ship in 2a. But if they play good defense, then they could be a top 5, maybe higher team no doubt. On paper, that offense is scary. Potentially the best in 2a, imo of course.

2A/2AA is no where near as tough as 3A/3AA this year.  Last year I agree but not this year.  In 2017 3A/3AA is the class of death

#14 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

2A/2AA is no where near as tough as 3A/3AA this year. Last year I agree but not this year. In 2017 3A/3AA is the class of death

3A/3AA there more spread of good team teams yr in yr out but ex like 4A it's usual suspects but 3A/3AA u never know but it will be loaded this yr esp with Dudley n Catholic back to 3A

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#15 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

2A/2AA is no where near as tough as 3A/3AA this year. Last year I agree but not this year. In 2017 3A/3AA is the class of death

Last year I think Shelby and rei dsville both win the 3a and 3aa

#16 shelbyfan

shelbyfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

GDG not sure about Pettis but Tavaris Scott left Shelby to go to Crest and came back to Shelby over Sumner.
I agree with running after the catch, but theres like 5 different rec this yr where we norm have 3, plus dada at Rb and few other weapons, i still think offenae will be force to stop

#17 Chopper747

Chopper747

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

Last year I think Shelby and rei dsville both win the 3a and 3aa

Took me a minute to remember who won 3A/3AA last year. Getting old..

#18 rambbq

rambbq

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Reidsville was a power last year....they beat EG in a pre-season scrimmage...and I'll 2nd the notion that Shelby and Reidsville would've taken 3A and 3AA last year......those 2 teams were not your typical 2A team......strong, big and fast................

#19 Cougars66

Cougars66

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Heritage at least in the top 8. I think to many people is just looking at the kids they lost..but they still have a ton of talent and sone very good ballers moving up..but thats why we play the games..should be a fun season

#20 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

False. Reidsville was not beating Eastern Guilford or Weddington. I'd give them a better shot vs EG, but not Weddington. So well coached and tons of seniors. That Weddington team was for real! 

I'd definitely take Reidsville over Eastern Guilford.  I seen Eastern Guilford in person, too. Good team, but I think our defense and offense was better. Reidsville and Eastern Guilford would have been a good game though, I'm not saying we blow out either, just think we beat both. 

Reidsville is the most slept on power in the state. 

#21 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

We witnessed Reidsville in their championship game against that middle school team.  They would have lost to Hunter Huss, Monroe and South Point.  I did not see E. Guilford play.  Based on what we saw in the 'ship game, they would not have won 3A or 3AA and were lucky to get the draw they did last year.

#22 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Reidsville is the most slept on power in the state. 

Disagree....just receives favorable playoff paths.

#23 thekidd12

thekidd12

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

NOT a Reidsville fan at all (still like to say they would not have been nearly as good without ER RB/LB last year)  98 but c'mon man. 

You have to beat who you play, wherever whenever.

They get favorable paths every year? Didn't they beat Lincolnton on way last year? Were they not one of those fine teams from western part of state. I know they were saw them up close. Didn't Lincolnton beat South Point, one of the teams Reidsville couldn't play with according to you?

What I am saying is try to be just slightly more realistic when making your weekly proclamations. Would Reidsville have won 3A/3AA championships? Nobody knows because it ain't their lane. Guess what? It ain't Shelby's either.

Just have to beat who you play, wherever whenever.

That is all you can control.

#24 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

NOT a Reidsville fan at all (still like to say they would not have been nearly as good without ER RB/LB last year) 98 but c'mon man.

You have to beat who you play, wherever whenever.

They get favorable paths every year? Didn't they beat Lincolnton on way last year? Were they not one of those fine teams from western part of state. I know they were saw them up close. Didn't Lincolnton beat South Point, one of the teams Reidsville couldn't play with according to you?

What I am saying is try to be just slightly more realistic when making your weekly proclamations. Would Reidsville have won 3A/3AA championships? Nobody knows because it ain't their lane. Guess what? It ain't Shelby's either.

Just have to beat who you play, wherever whenever.

That is all you can control.

That's my point it's always an excuse. Like you said lincolnton beat South point and we were the underdogs vs lincolnton.

#25 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

??? Just because they weren't in 2aa doesn't mean they got a favorable playoff path, it means their adms put them in 2a, they were the best team in 2a last year they should have had the most "favorable path", anyway I think they would have been at least the second best team if not the best in 2aa, 3a, and 3aa last year

JeffChapman-Dynamic