Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 3A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

I did get a look at Cape Fear this past Saturday.......

Unless they were really sandbagging,  they did not look like a top team.  Backup QB really struggled.  They need a healthy JGV if they're going to have any big success.  JGV reminds me of what AJ Blue was to North Gaston around ten years ago.

#34 looked pretty good running the football though.  Big, powerful back.  

On another note, a team that surprised me was Clayton.  They didn't treat that scrimmage like a scrimmage.  They played some hard-nosed football.  They had a beast a wide receiver (#88) and also at defensive end (#11).  Clayton struck me as a team that might sneak up on someone come November.

#52 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Unless they were really sandbagging,  they did not look like a top team.  Backup QB really struggled.  They need a healthy JGV if they're going to have any big success.  JGV reminds me of what AJ Blue was to North Gaston around ten years ago.

On another note, a team that surprised me was Clayton.  They didn't treat that scrimmage like a scrimmage.  They played some hard-nosed football.  They had a beast a wide receiver (#88) and also at defensive end (#11).  Clayton struck me as a team that might sneak up on someone come November.

I totally agree 100%.  I will say that their ranking was 100% tied to a healthy Galloway-Velazquez. Without him, they could be looking at a much different 2017 season. 

#53 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:51 PM

Not at all.  Trust me guys, I think you could be in the Top-40 right now and be a 10-win kind of team.  Crest is going to be nasty eventually, but they still have some holes to plug in and get acclimated to Eddins' spread triple attack.  Don't forget that Crest was in sort of disarray down the stretch last season, my lasting memories is of them barley hanging on to beat a down East Rowan team in round one and getting absolutely plastered 35-7 by West Rowan, who really wasn't that strong of a team.  

Crest will be fine and I'm sure they'll have a chance to climb their way up.

You have West Forsyth at #10 in 4A.  Crest had their way with them at the CleCo Jamboree.  Crest is gonna be a lot better than people are thinking...

#54 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

You have West Forsyth at #10 in 4A.  Crest had their way with them at the CleCo Jamboree.  Crest is gonna be a lot better than people are thinking...

I'll say this, while yes Crest did appear to "have their way" with West Forsyth, I can say with 100% certainty that head coach Adrian Snow did not enter this scrimmage with the intent on winning on the scoreboard.  The Titans were working on depth, different looks, and had other agenda's for preparing for the season than just winning a scrimmage. 

Now yes, Crest did win, and yes I know Crest will be pretty damn good, but let me say this.  The fact that Crest is down in the rankings just further solidifies that fact that the 3A is a bear.  IT'S LOADED.  There is a good chance that there will be 6-win and maybe even a 7-win team that doesn't even make the playoffs.  

I know Crest will be good so there is no use trying to stir up the argument that I don't respect them, or I don't respect Cleveland Co., or that I'm downplaying them, because all are 100% inaccurate. 

#55 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

I understand....

Not to hijack the thread...but seeing what Shelby did to JM Robinson (who is #15 on this 3A poll) in half a football game last Friday.....what do you think our chances are with Rock Hill South Pointe?

#56 FB-Trap

FB-Trap

JV Team

• Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

^^^ +1  :o

#57 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,476 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

I understand....

Not to hijack the thread...but seeing what Shelby did to JM Robinson (who is #15 on this 3A poll) in half a football game last Friday.....what do you think our chances are with Rock Hill South Pointe?

I think it is safe to say that if I had a chance to re-rank teams after the scrimmages, J.M. Robinson would be a few steps back.  Yes, they are ultra talented, but in the words of J.M.R. head coach Joe Glass who I just spoke with, he said "we're struggling right now" and trying to "work out the kinks".  They've been a bit banged up and have had to move kids around, which happens from time to time in high school.  

The one thing I've been kind of down on J.M.R. from having to do is playing their kids both ways, its not ideal but sometimes a necessity.

#58 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

Wow, that didn't take long.  Clayton beat Garner tonight 35-14.  Didn't see that coming.  Very impressive.

#59 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

Speaking of Raleigh area football, I just read where five-star WR Jordyn Adams is now playing for Green Hope. Interesting.

JeffChapman-Dynamic