Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 3A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Kings Mountain barely beat a crest team that all but quit on their coach IMO last season...and then KM loses a first round home game in the playoffs...13? Above ACR? I disagree. AC Reynolds would beat KM. Handily. Just my opinion though

Good thing this ranking isn't about last year. This is about this year's squad.

#27 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

T

#28 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

This is true....with that being said, I've yet to see any KM team that could beat ACR...so forgive me for using history

#29 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

This is true....with that being said, I've yet to see any KM team that could beat ACR...so forgive me for using history

It's completely understandable, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm always wrong about at least one team, so the jury is out.

#30 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

Lol

#31 patricklsu

patricklsu

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

Where is southern Nash?

#32 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

It's completely understandable, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm always wrong about at least one team, so the jury is out.

Hey I'm not stupid, I've read this site long enough to know that you Mr. Hughes know more about the teams all across NC than I ever will, it's just as a Crest fan I've watched KM fall short of their potential year after year. I've also seen ACR play past their potential year after year. I just believe ACR is a more rich in tradition program with a head coach that knows how to win. If ACR does lose its not usually a blow out. Kings Mountain on the other hand...that's another story, but despite everything, this could be their year.

#33 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hey I'm not stupid, I've read this site long enough to know that you Mr. Hughes know more about the teams all across NC than I ever will, it's just as a Crest fan I've watched KM fall short of their potential year after year. I've also seen ACR play past their potential year after year. I just believe ACR is a more rich in tradition program with a head coach that knows how to win. If ACR does lose its not usually a blow out. Kings Mountain on the other hand...that's another story, but despite everything, this could be their year.

If were talking tradition and long-term success, Crest and ACR beats KM by a country mile.

#34 CougarsOfAHS

CougarsOfAHS

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

ACR will be loaded this year, believe they return 7 on both sides of the ball from last years team that was a state contender

#35 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

That 1998 Kings Mountain team was no joke. Even if they did lose to Carver in the State Title game.

#36 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

That 1998 Kings Mountain team was no joke. Even if they did lose to Carver in the State Title game.

28 ppg on offense? 11 points ppg on defense? Eh they had potential to win state absolutely but failed miserably and underachieved/choked as they always have...sure they beat crest last season for the first time in 20 years...great...I stand by what I said earlier! KM is not better than ACR! Not unless they finally decided to play like they've always needed to be playing!..I'm gonna call it now and say they choke again...sad part is they should be favorites to win our conference...we'll see.

#37 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Even that team squeaked by a Crest team in the midst of a 1-5 start. Aided by a late bad snap to a QB in shotgun.

#38 MonarchTerritory2016

MonarchTerritory2016

JV Team

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

Glad to see Northside and Jacksonville both in the top 25 in a loaded 3a conference the first 4 games will tell us how good these two teams really are

#39 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

The fact that Chris has Eastern Alamance ranked ahead of Western Alamance gives this poll absolutely no credibility at all.  I don't know much about the rest of the state, but Western Alamance is light years ahead of Eastern Alamance this year.  That's why they play the game though! I expect this poll to be garbage by the mid point of the season. Do your research and quit basing rankings on who you like!

It's funny you say that, Coach Snuffer at Western Alamance agreed with my selection.  Being a fan, its hard for you to take the emotion out of it and look at things objectively. 

#40 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

You know what would be fun? Have a carolinapreps posters versus moderators competition. Let the posters spend all off season voting and making our own list and then put up against the moderators...at the end of the season, we'll go back and see who got the most right.

#41 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Also Snuffer likes to be the underdog from what I know(got that from a very credible source) so of course he'd agree with it. 

I don't need a credible source, I speak with Snuffer and Eastern Alamance head coach John Kirby quite often including hour-long sit-downs with them this spring as they both laid out who they have returning and what their forecasts for the season was, I know many members of both coaching staffs, and I have a very strong knowledge of the returning players for both teams.  Here is the thing that many people forget about Eastern Alamance, they rarely bring sophomores up to the varsity team, they've been dominating teams for years on JV, and this rising junior and senior class is about as strong of a team that EA's had in quite a while.  

For Eastern, Tra Boseman is very underrated at running back, I think Hayden Mann is among the top-5 best QB's in NC, and the offensive line is going to move people out of the way.  

Both teams are very skilled and both are very well coached, it will come down to when they step it up on Oct 27th, I'm fairly confident that both teams will be 9-0 coming into that contest.  

#42 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

If there wasn't all the really good 4A teams (and Monroe coming) invading the 3A ranks, teams like Southern Nash, Western Alamance, Eastern Alamance, and even South Iredell would be in the 15-20 range, right where they've all been a lot in recent years.  

#43 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Still cannot understand you not ranking a loaded team who was 12-1 a year ago behind Sun Valley who has no run game and no defense. Or Eastern Alamance who as said earlier has solid lines but no skill guys returning really. 

We'll see, you may be 100% correct.  If I'm wrong I promise you it won't be the first time or the last time, it happens.  

#44 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

Chris, what would be your projection on how the NPC conference will turn out? I know just about everyone is in agreement with West Rowan winning it.

#45 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

Chris, what would be your projection on how the NPC conference will turn out? I know just about everyone is in agreement with West Rowan winning it.

I'm not in agreement that West Rowan wins it, at least not overwhelmingly.  

I think its a three team race; South Iredell, West Rowan, and Statesville.  

I don't care what anyone says, Statesville is the most talented team followed by West and South, now that doesn't mean that it finishes in that order but that's what the paper says, we all know the game isn't played on paper. 

I think it depends on health, some good and bad breaks, and how teams react and respond to adversity during the season.  

My gut says South Iredell wins it but that's not a strong gut feeling, lot of football yet to be played. 

#46 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Chris for your input. Actually great news to hear for South. I think Statesville will be tougher than what most people gives credit. Any team in the conference will have to come in and play their best and not over look them.

#47 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Still no answer on the the top 5 qb's in the state?

Because I'm actually working on a show where we will discuss them later in the preseason..... 

But the ones I like, i no certain order. 

Holton Ahlers at D.H. Conley

Justice Galloway-Velazquez at Cape Fear

Stephon Brown at Glenn

Brady Pope at South Iredell

Sam Howell at Sun Valley

Gunnar Holmberg at Hertiage

Jaren Rainey at SW Guilford

Brayden Hawkins at Myers Park

Dominique Graves at Eastern Guilford

Hayden Mann at Eastern Alamance

Joey Curry at Murphy

Travis Ray at Orange

#48 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

Because I'm actually working on a show where we will discuss them later in the preseason.....

But the ones I like, i no certain order

Brady Pope at South Iredell

So How do u think Brady will do? Some think he won't put up as big of number as he did last yr but He will be a very good QB but they will be facing some good opponents this season

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#49 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Chris, what is the basis for including Travis Ray of Orange. He did NOT throw one singular pass for Orange a year ago. Do you base it on 7 on 7 which you said you put no stock into, or what? I'm so confused, I saw tape of a 7 on 7 Orange did vs WA and Cummings and if that was Ray, no disrespect to him but no way did he look like a top QB. 

NOT trying to bash the kid, but those names just puzzle me including the MP QB who was a backup a year ago. 

I know he is private school, but Schroder(spelled wrong I think) at Christian is a top 12 QB in this state regardless of classification. 

Oh yeah, you've got to have Shrader in that list.  He's pretty darn good.

#50 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

He may not be amongst the elite.....but.....I am curious to see how Ryan Douglas from SE Guilford looks in their new system.  

JeffChapman-Dynamic