Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

2017 3A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:51 AM

Here they are, the long awaited 2017 Preseason Power Rankings.  Make sure to check out the front page article to see in-depth video breakdowns of the rankings featuring myself and football analyst Jay Sonnhalter.  Let the discussion begin! 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Familiar Names Atop 2017 Preseason Power Rankings

i-tkvr33K-L.png

#2 Magnum

Magnum

JV Team

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

Sucks having Catholic back in 3AA. Just not fair to all the public school kids. List looks good though. I would move Weddington up though. Those guys just know how to win.

#3 npcfan

npcfan

JV Team

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Have to agree with catholiccougs,,,,,get over it. There is no unfair advantage to "football" just because you go to a catholic school. From personal experience though the coaches, student athletes, and involved parents and boosters is what makes a consistent program regardless of religon. Also with NC being so lenient on students changing schools now you cant blame recruiting. Life is not unfair just because someone does a better job than someone else!

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

1. We are 3A not 3AA.
2. Get the hell over it. Unfair to have a bunch of well coached white kids who outside of a very small handful won't ever play football past HS? Right totally unfair.

Agreeed 100%, I think Derek has said this before but if you even were to accuse Charlotte Catholic for recruiting players, they would need to fire their recruiting coordinator because they certainly don't scare you athleticly when they get off the bus, they just work hard, coach hard, and physically and fundamentally whip your butt.

#5 FHS1985

FHS1985

Established Member

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

Chris-where do you think Alexander Central comes in?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#6 Knights

Knights

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Put on the knee highs. It's getting deep in here.

#7 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

I personally believe AC should be where Watauga is but I may be a tad biased tho but Than again Watagua is always a solid squad but I think AC is a tad better

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Chris-where do you think Alexander Central comes in?

They are around 30th on my extended tracker.  They are certainly on the radar but there are literally 60-65 really, really, and I mean really good teams in the 3A.  I almost need to do a Top-40 now that they've changed the realignment to the 20-30-30-20 model. 

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

Chris, 

What is your opinion of Hillside this year? I don't see them ranked, but keep hearing they have a great shot to make it to the 3AA title game. 

I don't know if I would go that far.  While they do have a boat load of talent, I'm just not sure if they where they fit in with just how loaded the East is.  On my extended tracker, I think they are around 29-31st, something like that, they are really good but we'll just have to see.  I think I would add Southern Durham to that same mindset, both are good but we'll have to see how it all shakes out. 

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

I personally believe AC should be where Watauga is but I may be a tad biased tho but Than again Watagua is always a solid squad but I think AC is a tad better

I visited Watauga earlier this year and have spoken with every coach in that region, I really feel the Pioneers are poised to have a very solid year.  Here is my rationale behind the difference in Watauga and Alexander Central.  While they both will score at will, I think Watauga has a chance to be much better on the defensive side of the ball than last year.  Both will have no problem scoring 35-49 against most teams, but both have also had the problem of giving up 28-35 on occasion as well. 

#11 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

If they give Dudley a game or even beat Dudley(which I don't think happens) does that change anything? I know many expect that to be a great game

Sure, no question.  You know as well as anyone, preseason rankings are a crap-shoot at best.  While I've been working on these since January, even I screw up and make bad picks.  I said this in one of my videos last night, we don't have a crystal ball to predict injuries and other unforeseen events and lets face it, we're banking all of this on the actions of 14-18 year olds so this is certainly a moving target. 

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Southern Nash and Western Alamance are teams that I can see cracking this top 25 early.

My only thing with WA is that their schedule is very soft. They should cruise to 9-0 with their final two games being Eastern Alamance and Northern Guilford. May very well go 11-0, but not against great competition. 

Here is where I have 26-50.  As you can tell, all of these are really good teams. 

i-88bBGVw-L.jpg

#13 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

A little strange to not see Crest in the Top 10, does this figure to be a down year ?

#14 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

I was glad to hear you mention South Iredell as being good. I knew that they wouldn't be in the top 25 but happy to see them at 32. I know there are a lot of good teams and probably out of all the brackets in the playoffs the 3AA will be the most exciting to watch.

#15 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

A little strange to not see Crest in the Top 10, does this figure to be a down year ?

Not at all.  Trust me guys, I think you could be in the Top-40 right now and be a 10-win kind of team.  Crest is going to be nasty eventually, but they still have some holes to plug in and get acclimated to Eddins' spread triple attack.  Don't forget that Crest was in sort of disarray down the stretch last season, my lasting memories is of them barley hanging on to beat a down East Rowan team in round one and getting absolutely plastered 35-7 by West Rowan, who really wasn't that strong of a team.  

Crest will be fine and I'm sure they'll have a chance to climb their way up.

#16 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

I was glad to hear you mention South Iredell as being good. I knew that they wouldn't be in the top 25 but happy to see them at 32. I know there are a lot of good teams and probably out of all the brackets in the playoffs the 3AA will be the most exciting to watch.

Had the NCHSAA not changed up the realignment and went to the 20-30-30-20 deal where it brought down a bunch of good 4A teams, I think South Iredell would have been around 18-20th or so.  They'll be very good, Brady Pope is the real deal and there isn't many better coaches than Scott Miller. 

#17 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

Crest will be a top 5 team in 2 years mark my word. Eddins wins period

#18 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

Crest will be a top 5 team in 2 years mark my word. Eddins wins period

No question, I agree 100%

#19 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

I visited Watauga earlier this year and have spoken with every coach in that region, I really feel the Pioneers are poised to have a very solid year. Here is my rationale behind the difference in Watauga and Alexander Central. While they both will score at will, I think Watauga has a chance to be much better on the defensive side of the ball than last year. Both will have no problem scoring 35-49 against most teams, but both have also had the problem of giving up 28-35 on occasion as well.

Fair enough n yes u are right AC biggest problem which is their secondary on the defense so

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#20 Panther4lyfe

Panther4lyfe

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hillside opens with New Bern and Scotland we will find out real quick how good they are.

#21 CougarsOfAHS

CougarsOfAHS

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Not use to seeing Asheville out the top 10. Let alone top 50.

#22 twinpeeks

twinpeeks

Established Member

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

# 10 team has a lot of ?,qb,rb,wr,lost a bunch on defense

#23 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

Not use to seeing Asheville out the top 10. Let alone top 50.

I'd put Asheville and Erwin in there before West Caldwell JMO

#24 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

I could see Alexander Central and Watauga being a shootout with high scoring game. If AC can put together a good defense and stay injured free as much as possible they sure would be a dangerous team. They may well have a shot at winning the conference. But if the defense doesn't show up they could well find there selves being at least 3 in conference.

#25 Crest91

Crest91

JV Team

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Kings Mountain barely beat a crest team that all but quit on their coach IMO last season...and then KM loses a first round home game in the playoffs...13? Above ACR? I disagree. AC Reynolds would beat KM. Handily. Just my opinion though

JeffChapman-Dynamic