Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 4A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#26 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Well hokie your Butler bulldogs had the best offense. But y'all blew it, with Dirk and Kecsgi. The best 1-2 punch in the city and blew it. Freed you up last November you had time for Black Friday shopping. So you get on here hating on the Westside. Harding or West Meck will provide some, offensive highlight reels for the ages.

Last year, Vance had the best offense in the city, but Butler's offense still didn't blow anything. Cheek was 22-26 for a school record 450 yds in that semi-final loss, and the offense put up 49 points on the way to averaging 46 pts/game for the season. And Hales wasn't even calling the plays during the playoffs. Not too shabby. The defense cost Butler a state title last season, not the offense.

I've lived in Charlotte almost 20 years now, and West Charlotte is the only West Side program that has done a single thing of relevance in my time here (and WC's power run was very short-lived). You can call it hate or whatever else you want to call it, but West Meck and Harding have been just about as irrelevant as you can imagine. They've won nothing, accomplished nothing, done nothing and meant nothing to football in the city in decades. I'd be happy to see that change, but I'm not holding my breath.

#27 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

Most likely not. I think Pinecrest will reload, but they've better not sleep on Seventy-First or Lumberton. Heck, Hoke County and Jack Britt may surprise some people. I will give Pinecrest credit on stepping up the non-conference portion of the schedule. Laney and Hillside will both give the Patriots a battle. Don't know a whole lot about Gray's Creek (not to be taken too lightly) or Charlotte Providence.

Y'all should beat Providence. They're offense is average, but their defense is subpar.

#28 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

What do you think about Heritage High this year? Have some D1 guys on both sides of the ball.

#29 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

Point taken you still blew it. #3 Dirk best 2-way player last year. His cousin #10 Kecsgi the best WR in the state last year. He single handedly destroyed MC. I might ad. Made the Jones kid throw a tantrum on the sidelines. After taking him school showing him. Who the dominant male was. But back on y'all blowing it. That special group yall had doesnt. Come around often, don't throw Hales not being there. As an excuse if he learn to lead by example. That dilemma wouldn't have came about.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not blaming the loss on Hales getting himself in trouble. He doesn't tend to get involved much with the defense during games, so even if he had been on the sidelines and kicked the FG against Vance instead of throwing the pick in the endzone, the defensive problems would've still been a problem. Butler wins a close battle in that scenario, but the war is still lost. If not the next week, then the week after. It was inevitable.

I'm a Butler dad, but I don't really sugarcoat things when I see something I don't like. The Butler D last season threw up giant red flags to me in the week 2 loss to Mallard Creek (discussed with all these guys in great detail), and I worried all season that the D would be the downfall of a really special offense. I felt like Mallard Creek let Butler off the hook in the playoff rematch by not calling the exact same plays that they did in the 1st game (which Butler never showed that they could defend), but Brand wasn't nearly as generous the following week. With or without Hales on the sidelines, the defense just wasn't good enough to win a title either way.

#30 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

I think at least today we could all agree that the 4A classification just isn't as deep, or as strong. 

We've been saying this for a while...not hugely competitive....not much competition outside the top Hosses....not too difficult to win a title. 

#31 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

We've been saying this for a while...not hugely competitive....not much competition outside the top Hosses....not too difficult to win a title.

Same with 2a...3a much tougher than 4a or 2a

#32 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Same with 2a...3a much tougher than 4a or 2a

I agree, with Dudley moving down, I would say 3A is probably the toughest class this year.  

With South Point (reigning 3A champ) moving to 2A, that makes 2A a little tougher.  In years past when East Lincoln, North Rowan and teams like that were all competitive, 2A was probably the toughest.  

Equipment is being given out this morning at Shel-town!  Can't wait until August!

#33 portcity FB

portcity FB

Established Member

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

Most likely not.  I think Pinecrest will reload, but they've better not sleep on Seventy-First or Lumberton. Heck, Hoke County and Jack Britt may surprise some people. I will give Pinecrest credit on stepping up the non-conference portion of the schedule. Laney and Hillside will both give the Patriots a battle. Don't know a whole lot about Gray's Creek (not to be taken too lightly) or Charlotte Providence.

I just don't see much at Laney. They lost 9 of their top 11 players on defense which was their strength. Their offense was average at best and they lost 3 OL and their best player(RB). JV had maybe 3 impact players. I just don't see the defense being anywhere as strong as last year and I see the offense dropping some too. I think Laney losses to PC and Rose and Jacksonville. I don't know much about Triton. 

#34 portcity FB

portcity FB

Established Member

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

Last year, Vance had the best offense in the city, but Butler's offense still didn't blow anything. Cheek was 22-26 for a school record 450 yds in that semi-final loss, and the offense put up 49 points on the way to averaging 46 pts/game for the season. And Hales wasn't even calling the plays during the playoffs. Not too shabby. The defense cost Butler a state title last season, not the offense.

I've lived in Charlotte almost 20 years now, and West Charlotte is the only West Side program that has done a single thing of relevance in my time here (and WC's power run was very short-lived). You can call it hate or whatever else you want to call it, but West Meck and Harding have been just about as irrelevant as you can imagine. They've won nothing, accomplished nothing, done nothing and meant nothing to football in the city in decades. I'd be happy to see that change, but I'm not holding my breath.

Those are good points. I saw all the teams at the 7 on 7 in Charlotte and the best looking team, physically was WM. That doesn't win games but, wow.

#35 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Those are good points. I saw all the teams at the 7 on 7 in Charlotte and the best looking team, physically was WM. That doesn't win games but, wow.

What day did you go out?  Did you see Wake Forest?? 

#36 portcity FB

portcity FB

Established Member

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

What day did you go out?  Did you see Wake Forest?? 

Saturday and yes.

#37 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

I agree, with Dudley moving down, I would say 3A is probably the toughest class this year.  

With South Point (reigning 3A champ) moving to 2A, that makes 2A a little tougher.  In years past when East Lincoln, North Rowan and teams like that were all competitive, 2A was probably the toughest.  

Equipment is being given out this morning at Shel-town!  Can't wait until August!

Its diluted and frankly it has been diluted since they split the divisions but lets deal in reality. In any given year there are really no more than 4-6 teams in each classification that can or will win a title. You give me 5 teams right now today in the 8 classifications and I will give you every other team I will bet you a beautiful  Shelby state title t-shirt that I pick the winners. So the fallacy that its somehow harder in 2a then 4a is just more fan speak.

#38 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

I only saw West Meck play once but thought they were very evenly matched with Vance physically.  Both squads had plenty of athletes. The team that by far was superior in both physical ability and execution was Wake Forest. Huge size and physical wide outs and DB's. EVen more impressive was the best athlete on Wake didnt even play. Devon played cheerleader. SOuthpointe would have been 2nd but even they werent as good looking as Wake.

Wake made Vance look like a middle school team. Whether that translates I have no idea.

#39 portcity FB

portcity FB

Established Member

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

I only saw West Meck play once but thought they were very evenly matched with Vance physically.  Both squads had plenty of athletes. The team that by far was superior in both physical ability and execution was Wake Forest. Huge size and physical wide outs and DB's. EVen more impressive was the best athlete on Wake didnt even play. Devon played cheerleader. SOuthpointe would have been 2nd but even they werent as good looking as Wake.

Wake made Vance look like a middle school team. Whether that translates I have no idea.

SP looked great but didnt have the size of WF had. WF secondary was flat out impressive.

#40 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

I don't think anyone has ever argued that the field was very deep, but the competition within the top Hosses that you mention usually offers the viewer things that can't be seen anywhere else in the state. The best team in the state, period, is almost always included in that group of 4A top Hosses. And usually the next few best teams in the state are in that same pool as well.

And as far as not being too difficult to win a title goes, the challenge of beating a Mallard Creek, Butler, Scotland, Dudley, Catholic, New Bern or even a Wake Forest to win your title is magnitudes greater than the challenge of beating whatever 2A school you want to pick to win your title, so it's all relative. In the 4A ranks, you admittedly might only have 3 or 4 serious legitimate title contenders in any given season, but those 3 or 4 teams are usually no joke when it comes to Div I size, Div I athleticism, Div I depth and great coaching. If you take those teams out to hoist your hardware, then you've beaten the teams with the best combination of all those factors that the state has to offer, which is no small feat in itself, and is a feat not duplicated in any of the lower ranks.

But you don't have to take any of our words for it much longer...the South Pointe game will be a good test against a name power, and if you guys like that game, then there's always good teams right down the road in Charlotte that have hard times filling out their schedules. If any lower class program truly wants to know for a fact what the difference in 2A strength and 4A strength is, then schedule a few of those teams and find out for yourselves. Don't take our words for it. Play the game and see. Win or lose, kudos to Shelby for playing the game. That's a full step beyond what most programs in the state are willing to do.

#41 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Port City dont tell em nothing. They're closed minded it's only about the Creek. Hope WM meets the Creek come playoff time. They're going to find out the "Hard Way"

Since 2012 total playoff wins-

West Charlotte, West Meck,Harding,Olympic=

Mallard Creek= 21

The state should make a new classification. Call it 1/2A. Put the Westside and Mount Island Chess Club in it. They can battle for the title.

#42 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Look "Wendy" Mallard Creek has had its run. Independence had there run which their success. Was due transfers coming in, which nothings wrong with. Mallard Creek isn't drawing in the big name skill guys anymore. If so they would've been loaded last year. At the skill position but they were above average. Same so far this year above average skill guys. The hype is wearing off. If the Creek still had the juice the Brown bros and The Harding RB. Would be there but their not. You'll still have big lineman, good backers. But the skill guys want be coming no time soon. Mallard Creek will become just another team from Charlotte. All them Creek Dad shirts will become useful rags. For washing the car, you guys couldn't even keep. Your best player from Ridge Rd. Thats supposed to be your feeder program. Don't be surprised if Coach "P" bails. The writing on the wall is so clear. THE CREEK IS OVER. Now on the low, get me a jar. Of that Creek Dad tailgate juice. Haven't seen guys staggering like that. Since my H.S MD 20/20 days LMAO.....

Lol...great story. Tell me again how many playoff wins the Brown bros and the Harding boys have...shouldnt take long to count. I'll wait.

Here is what we do know as fact not fiction. In Mallard Creeks worse year this decade it still had as many playoff wins as the entire West Side has had in the past 5 years.

Talk about a dumpster fire...lol

#43 704cougarsdad

704cougarsdad

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

On you 40? I don't know but CC has 42-6.

lol

#44 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Blakk get back over to 1A forum u can't handle these guys they are ripping u a new one. Or go to 2A and make a fool of yourself there, hit em all up

#45 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Its diluted and frankly it has been diluted since they split the divisions but lets deal in reality. In any given year there are really no more than 4-6 teams in each classification that can or will win a title. You give me 5 teams right now today in the 8 classifications and I will give you every other team I will bet you a beautiful  Shelby state title t-shirt that I pick the winners. So the fallacy that its somehow harder in 2a then 4a is just more fan speak.

Completely agree.  I would love to see the state go back to not subdividing the classes or even going to 6 classes so it wouldn't be so watered down.  Not taking that bet because I completely agree.  It seems in years past that there are more contenders within the 2A and 3A classes than in the 1A and 4A classes.  Just my opinion.  Maybe 5-6 in 4A. Same for 1A.  Looking at 2A and 3A maybe 8-12 legitimate contenders.  Once you split those down by subdividing and dividing east and west there are only 2 or so from each side of the state within each subdivided class.  You'd think it would be relatively easy to pick every single title winner save the unusual upset.

#46 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

And as far as not being too difficult to win a title goes, the challenge of beating a Mallard Creek, Butler, Scotland, Dudley, Catholic, New Bern or even a Wake Forest to win your title is magnitudes greater than the challenge of beating whatever 2A school you want to pick to win your title, so it's all relative. In the 4A ranks, you admittedly might only have 3 or 4 serious legitimate title contenders in any given season, but those 3 or 4 teams are usually no joke when it comes to Div I size, Div I athleticism, Div I depth and great coaching. If you take those teams out to hoist your hardware, then you've beaten the teams with the best combination of all those factors that the state has to offer, which is no small feat in itself, and is a feat not duplicated in any of the lower ranks.

The thing about it hokie is you don't have to play all those teams to win a title.  Several of them will knock each other out.  

I and anyone who understands why we have "classes" would completely disagree with you....as you said, it is all "relative".  The challenge of a 4A school beating a couple good 4A schools to win a title is no different than the challenge of a 2A school beating a couple good 2A schools or 3A beating 3A or 1A beating 1A.  The talent of the 22 men on the field is of course not the same between the classes but because of parity, the magnitude of the challenge is exactly the same.   The 22 men on the field within each class "should be" relatively the same.  Let's say 7A was the highest class we had.  The teams fighting for a title within 7A is no more or less competitive than the teams fighting for a title in any of the other 6 classes.  Now some years there may be 5 or so more competitive teams within each class but the magnitude of the challenge for that particular school in that particular class is no different between the classes.  

#47 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Independence had there run which their success. Was due transfers coming in, which nothings wrong with. 

The first title Knotts won at Indy, which was his first year there (2000), every player except for one played at Indy the previous season when they were 5-5.  Three seniors started.

#48 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

Blakk, your arguments and posts are becoming less and less productive to a strong board.  Use your football knowledge that you have gained from coaching youth on the West Side (I used the big letters to make it more impressive) to discuss the players, the schemes, and other facts. 

#49 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

The first title Knotts won at Indy, which was his first year there (2000), every player except for one played at Indy the previous season when they were 5-5.  Three seniors started.

Same with Mallard Creek's first title. One kid transferred in. In addition , all of this talk of star power skill players is inaccurate as well. 2013-2014 state title teams had one kid move into the district as a skill player. That would be Lawrence Pittman. Every other RB, WR, TE and QB lived in the MC district previous to that year.

#50 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

Lets recap Blakk for the class over the past week or two-

- Mallard Creek JV is 80% Juniors= Incorrect

- Marquise Williams is 6'5= Incorrect

- Marquise Williams hurt ankle before playoff=incorrect

- Mallard Creek won a title the year after Williams left=Incorrect

- Mallard Creek won their titles because of West side skill players=incorrect

- Indy won all their titles because of transfers=incorrect 

- West Meck has as many productive kids in college as Mallard Creek over past 5 years= incorrect ( also laughable)

- Mallard Creek system is the reason Jacobe Clement  had is ACC offers pulled= incorrect 

JeffChapman-Dynamic