Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

2017 4A Preseason Power Rankings

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:50 AM

Here they are, the long awaited 2017 Preseason Power Rankings.  Make sure to check out the front page article to see in-depth video breakdowns of the rankings featuring myself and football analyst Jay Sonnhalter.  Let the discussion begin! 

Link: CarolinaPreps.com - Familiar Names Atop 2017 Preseason Power Rankings

i-kFRcR9g-L.png

#2 704cougarsdad

704cougarsdad

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Gonna b a fun season

#3 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Gonna b a fun season

Yep, because everyone on this list from about #3 downwards have some pretty significant question marks. You can probably include #2 in that list as well (it's only one position for them...but that position has been their downfall the last 5 years).

Some of these teams are going to figure some stuff out and some are not, so I'm expecting to see teams moving up and down this list as much as any year we've ever seen. There will be surprises, both good and bad. And a couple of losses probably doesn't mean that you can't still be a serious player for the title, unlike in most previous years.

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Yep, because everyone on this list from about #3 downwards have some pretty significant question marks. You can probably include #2 in that list as well (it's only one position for them...but that position has been their downfall the last 5 years).

Some of these teams are going to figure some stuff out and some are not, so I'm expecting to see teams moving up and down this list as much as any year we've ever seen. There will be surprises, both good and bad.

And to add to your thoughts, I think at least today we could all agree that the 4A classification just isn't as deep, or as strong.  I mean sure, there are some really good programs, but with the 20-30-30-20 realignment, it certainly took a big bite out of the 4A.  When I was calculating the new rankings, from about 12th or so on back to about 40 is really competitive.  However the back half of 4A isn't really strong at all. 

#5 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

Myers Park and Hough have some talent. They will climb that list. Hough added depth to its secondary. Adding a the Ridge Road M.S stud to its roster. He would have went to the creek but things happen

I agree and initially in some of my different drafts of the preseason rankings, I had Myers Park as high as 3rd. 

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Myers Park adding Moose Muhammad son to there roster. Who picked up a few D-1 offers this summer. Will give them depth at WR. That kids going to shock some folks,its a shame providence day. Didnt use him and Rooks

I agree and his presence will open up some holes for Elijah Bowick who's one of the best receivers I've seen in recent years.  I know some guys opinion of new quarterback Brayden Hawkins isn't high, but he's a gun slinger and he doesn't lack confidence to stand in and make hard throws.  Coach Scott Chadwick has proven that he can win at all levels, he won championships in Maryland and has been stellar in North Carolina, he'll have the Mustangs in contention.  

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Is Sanderson really a top 10 team? More talented than Myers Park?

Trust me, I know that's a hard concept to comprehend but this team looks the part, and as a really young squad  last year, played the part.  Head football coach Ben Kolstad has quietly in my opinion established himself as one of the top leaders in our state, he's from Wisconsin so he's not as well known in some parts of the state, but they are absolutely loaded across the board. 

They went 9-4 last season and are led by running back Trent Pennix who can play both sides of the ball, he's a monster and he has 1792 career rushing yards, as a freshman he played QB for Sanderson I believe.

Jason Dunn returns for his senior season, he passed for 1400+ yards last year but they're really not a true passing team, they're very balanced, they play great defense, and they're very strong up front.  We'll find out exactly how good they are on Saturday, August 19th when they play East Forsyth at Cardinal Gibbons HS. 

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Gotcha! Guess we'll find out early then. What are your thoughts on South Meck? Heard rumblings this season, but have heard them before and pay no mind as of late. 

South Meck..... that team that's been over-hyped a ton in recent years only to finish each season with a handful of losses.  I've been hearing from all the coaches that South looks good and that they should be a decent team.  While I feel that West Meck is the certain leader in that conference, South can still be very respectable.  I know that Coach White will get all he can out of them.  

#9 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

Gotcha! Guess we'll find out early then. What are your thoughts on South Meck? Heard rumblings this season, but have heard them before and pay no mind as of late. 

Everyone is in love with West meck and Harding. All the track stars and D1 guys but quietly I think South Meck ends up winning that conf. The problem for South Meck is the early schedule is brutal. They will struggle to get one win in the first 5 games

#10 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

I hear they will have their biggest OL in quite some time. Ihave not seen them yet, but will in week 2 when Catholic pays them a visit, but I think they're 2nd behind West Meck tied with Harding for 2nd in that conference. 

Harding is a team I am rooting for, Griner is a fine coach and that RB can flat out play! It wouldn't shock me at all if they finish 2nd outright in that conference. 

I hung out with Coach Griner for a bit yesterday, he's certainly excited about the possibilities for this season, but more importantly I'm proud of him and very supportive because I've seen him build that program the right way.  Harding may not be his final destination in the coaching profession, I could see him at a big-time school very soon.  I can tell you for a fact that a major job that opened this year wanted to speak with him but he told me that he was totally committed to his guys at Harding and couldn't leave regardless of how strong the other job was. 

#11 RaiderDebater

RaiderDebater

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

He lost 2 coaches to West Meck on the defensive side. The assistant numbers are concerning, but Greinier doesn't deal in a world of excuses. He'll have those young men ready to play. This will probably be the most talented team that he will field at Harding, depth is just a concern. Chris, I heard that a big time program was interested in his services as well, one that's vacancy came as a surprise to a lot of people. Hope to see you make your way to the Westside this season for a game.

#12 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

Here is what I dont get. Maybe someone can help me. I get all the fast speedy guys that West meck and Harding have but both defenses were terrible last year. West meck gave up 27 a game and to the good squads like Catholic, Vance and Page the gave up 40 or 50. Harding stopped noone.

So what's changed? Better personnel? better coaching? Everyone wants to fall in love with the skill guys but if you are giving up 40 or 50 a game you arent getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Weather gets cold and all the flashy stuff goes away. Who can bang it and who can play defense. Its one of the reasons I have West Forsyth so high. They have depth, can run the ball and presumably will be able to stop people

When was the last 4a title team that gave up more than 20 pts a game. I cant think of one. 

#13 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

West Forsyth has potential to be very good, this could be the best season they've had since 1990, but they still have some question marks and have lost a player or two up front on the OL that will hurt them.

I very well may have under ranked West but I see them more often than anyone given my proximity and I just don't they're ready to be elevated to elite status just yet.

#14 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

You sound upset, the westside gets a little star power. Making you feel some type of way. West Meck offense will be there defense. The best offensive show in town of Friday nights.

Lol...star power. Had that star power last year. Hell, had even more in 2013. All that D1 , Power 5 talent. Remind me again what they won?? ILL wait....

West Meck has had one playoff win in a decade but now they are taking over huh. Gotta actually tackle someone sooner or later.

The good news is they dont have to worry about those Catholic goons coming to town and tackling to hard and stealing their lunch money like they always do. :)

#15 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Scotland plays 3 of top 7,,,,,,5 of top 20 (and Marlboro Co. SC)

toughest schedule ????

#2 plays #3

#1 plays #7

in the first couple weeks

Agreed Wrigley West Meck sorta comes from nowhere on this list.

#16 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

You sound upset, the westside gets a little star power. Making you feel some type of way. West Meck offense will be there defense. The best offensive show in town of Friday nights.

West Meck 2013

Shaun Wilson: Duke

Van Smith: Clemson................(Edit) He made an exit to Hough his senior year. Couldn't figure out

why they couldn't close with all that talent. Joined about 10 D1 players and still went out in the 1st round

Jalen McClendon: NC.State

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 4 FCS Kids: Equals 7 D1 Players

Defense: Allowed 150 points the entire season: Average 12.5

Offense: 39.5 average a game.

They were seen shopping for Laundry Detergent at Walmart. Lost in the 1st round to Providence 14-7

Same problem this years team. No Depth! Suspect in the trenches.

Ok Mr I know Charlotte Football. Please list the last time a Team won a 4AA State Championship without a Strong Defense?  I'll Wait! :)

Skill guy are useless deep in the playoffs without the bigs in the trenches!

2014 went 2-9 had to play the depth they didn't have the previous year.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GREATEST OFFENSIVE SHOW IN TOWN ON FRIDAY NIGHTS! 

#17 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

West Meck pretty much returns that whole team. From last year, lost about 12 seniors. 4 who started, the QB and LB were key losts. But the skill guys all return more seasoned. I tell you what if they can finally beat Vance. To open the season watch out come playoffs. You can't double cover everybody. Scotland Co. will see that WR speed 1st hand. Scotland DB's vs major D-1 WR's should be fun. Zamir's running attack vs there defense.

Well, OK. that would seem like improvement would be expected. SO I buy that, though I Have to say that one LB was a pretty big time player.

Here is my thought.  I think this is the year that somebody emerges from the middle of the pack in Char Meck. Butler, Mallard Creek, Vance and Catholic have largely controlled football in this city the past 8 or so years. Indy had a nice year in 2014 and you could make an argument that Hough has moved up into that group since they have beaten both MC and Vance , won the Mecka and advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs once but I still have to keep them in the 2nd tier. .

Catholic is really no longer part of the mix so that leaves MC, Butler and Vance. All 3 have big losses in terms of seniors. I expect one or maybe two to take a step back. The middle of the pack in my mind is Hough, Myers PArk, West Meck, Harding and SOuth Meck.  I like West Meck because I think it takes 2 or 3 years to start seeing the impact of a very good strength and conditioning program and I thin k they are now there.

Come late November its not gonna be the team with the fast WR's that win the games. Physical line play and tackling is what matters. Vance doesnt beat Butler last year because of Ifedi's arm. They win because it was 3rd and 3 about a dozen times and the big kid went off tackle with Hall leading the way and Butler didnt want to tackle him. Cheek had one of the best nights throwing the ball a QB has ever had and they still lost. The three MC titles were a product of big guys knocking people off the ball and being unblockable on defense. They had one of the best wideouts in the state in 2012 and 2016. Didnt win anything.   

#18 work7

work7

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

West Meck pretty much returns that whole team. From last year, lost about 12 seniors. 4 who started, the QB and LB were key losts. But the skill guys all return more seasoned. I tell you what if they can finally beat Vance. To open the season watch out come playoffs. You can't double cover everybody. Scotland Co. will see that WR speed 1st hand. Scotland DB's vs major D-1 WR's should be fun. Zamir's running attack vs there defense.

You can have a rotation of 7 FBS wr's. Give me dominant kids in the trenches with depth and good skill guys. I will smash your All Star wr core 18 out of 20 games. I will let my 5 year old call the plays!  :lol:

It's imperative that you have the guys in the trenches in Charlotte and a strong defense.

Welcome to Charlotte Blakk Richmond. YOU'RE EITHER NEW TO THE AREA OR BLIND AS A BAT! 

#19 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Wrigley, assuming you mean CC isn't in the mix because they are back down in 3A. 

You guys are a Union county team now. You just havent moved the campus :)

#20 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

You can have a rotation of 7 FBS wr's. Give me dominant kids in the trenches with depth and good skill guys. I will smash your All Star wr core 18 out of 20 games. I will let my 5 year old call the plays! :lol:

It's imperative that you have the guys in the trenches in Charlotte and a strong defense.

Welcome to Charlotte Blakk Richmond. YOU'RE EITHER NEW TO THE AREA OR BLIND AS A BAT!

plus 1

#21 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Pinecrest #17???  If the Patriots are not careful, they may finish fifth in the Sandhills Athletic Conference. Only 1% improved compared to last season.

#22 Ladge

Ladge

Veteran Member

• Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

RD are you going to be at Pinecrest Tuesday?

#23 RD28327

RD28327

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Email:reubendavis@embarqmail.com

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

RD are you going to be at Pinecrest Tuesday?

Most likely not.  I think Pinecrest will reload, but they've better not sleep on Seventy-First or Lumberton. Heck, Hoke County and Jack Britt may surprise some people. I will give Pinecrest credit on stepping up the non-conference portion of the schedule. Laney and Hillside will both give the Patriots a battle. Don't know a whole lot about Gray's Creek (not to be taken too lightly) or Charlotte Providence.

#24 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

thats a definitely step up RD..........

#25 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'll go ahead and assume you're predicting this for the future, because West Meck has never been anywhere near the best offense in Charlotte. Heck, most years, it's not even in the top 10 in Charlotte.

JeffChapman-Dynamic