Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

The Best team

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Reynoldsrocks

Reynoldsrocks

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

x

#27 Reynoldsrocks23

Reynoldsrocks23

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I know all the Asheville High guys are dogging me about saying my 1999 Rockets were the best, and if they knew how to read they would also see that this thread is about the best team your favorite team has ever had, and 1999 is easily our best team ever. NOT the states best team ever, ACR's best team ever. I know reading is fundamental, so I'll let it slide this time! ;)

#28 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

2008 and 2009 has got to be my picks for Heritage, in 2008 11-3 coming off a 4-19 record from the past two seasons made it to the third round for the first time in school history and lost to the eventual state champions Newton Conover,  2009 13-3 won conference and lost in the state championship game to a loaded Tarboro team, we've had some good teams since but in terms most impactful seasons I don't think any other team of Heritage comes close

#29 AHS

AHS

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

Without a doubt 2005 team for Asheville. I'm biased but I think that was probably the best team of all time from the mountains. 3 D1 players in the backfield (2 NFL players), and a defense that gave up less than 7ppg. People seem to forget that Johnny White didn't even play in the regional championship game and was 50% in the state title game with an ankle injury. If Johnny white had been fully healthy Asheville would have won the last 2 games by 2-3 Td's instead of being nail biters. Top-bottom 2014 Asheville team may have been more talented than the '05 team but had a ton of injuries and laid a big egg at home in the third round to Weddington.

#30 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

I know all the Asheville High guys are dogging me about saying my 1999 Rockets were the best, and if they knew how to read they would also see that this thread is about the best team your favorite team has ever had, and 1999 is easily our best team ever. NOT the states best team ever, ACR's best team ever. I know reading is fundamental, so I'll let it slide this time! ;)

The 1989 team that Conners coached was not to shabby. I saw them both play and they were close. The '89 team could throw a little better than the '99 team and the case could be made they would have given Richmond a much better game if it hadn't snowed. 

In the '99 Richmond game Poss tried to throw it a couple and got picked off once and almost picked again and that stopped that nonsense. 

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#31 crestcharger02

crestcharger02

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:55 AM

After watching Anson and West Charlotte I expected ACR to beat Anson.  Went to the Richmond game and expected it would be tight because Richmond relied nearly totally on the running game.  ACR was built to play the run and neither of those two teams, and definitely not Byrd, were able to throw the ball much at all.  Was not very impressed with Richmond that year in comparison to the two previous seasons.  West Charlotte relied on the run and was weak at QB.  Probably their weakest team along with 1994 squad during the Knotts era.

That Richmond team kept rotating QBs which was the sign to me they weren't going to have the strongest passing game. That and their RB Greene was thought of pretty highly. 

#32 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Without a doubt 2005 team for Asheville. I'm biased but I think that was probably the best team of all time from the mountains. 3 D1 players in the backfield (2 NFL players), and a defense that gave up less than 7ppg. People seem to forget that Johnny White didn't even play in the regional championship game and was 50% in the state title game with an ankle injury. If Johnny white had been fully healthy Asheville would have won the last 2 games by 2-3 Td's instead of being nail biters. Top-bottom 2014 Asheville team may have been more talented than the '05 team but had a ton of injuries and laid a big egg at home in the third round to Weddington.

I completely forgot that Johnny was hurt then! You aren't kidding. If he were healthy, Asheville would have rolled!

#33 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

1983 and 2006  (Eastern Randolph)

As for PG.....probably 2009.  Not too many good years to pick from there.....

#34 HoundBooster84

HoundBooster84

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

1990 Statesville:  Beat the defending state champion Kannapolis twice on the way to losing a close one in the state title game.

1989 Statesville:  1 loss to Kannapolis (state champion) after an undefeated regular season that included beating Kannapolis in the regular season

Honorable mention:

2012 Statesville:  Highlights include beating the 2012 2AA champion at their place, ending an undefeated season for south point and ended with a rough loss to Charlotte Catholic

#35 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

1990 would be the year South Iredell upset a good Statesville team who was rank 1st in the state 3A 24-0. But South would go and lose 20-6 to Pisgah 1st rd. of playoffs. South had to have that win with Statesville in order to make playoffs. Tyrone Westmoreland was South RB.

#36 BDWarrior

BDWarrior

Established Member

• Members
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

As a Erwin fan I would say our 2013 team was the best I seen. They were dominant all season. They put 62 points on Reynolds in the first half. Unfortunately a group of our best players got arrested for smoking pot just days before the end of the season an the team fell apart. Very disappointing.

As for for the 99 ACR team vs the 05 Asheville team its a hard one to pick. I seen both teams play numerous times. The ACR team had the best defense I have ever seen. The 05 Asheville team had the best offense I have seen. In my opinion those are the two best teams to ever come out of the mountains.

#37 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

BDWARRIOR, did you get to see the 2003 Owen team. That was probably one of the better mountain teams.

JeffChapman-Dynamic