Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Ragsdale HC takes job in SC

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

Tommy Norwood has stepped down to take a job in SC. Way late in the game, you assume Ragsdale hires from within being that training camp is less than a month away. 

Charlotte Catholic Cougars

State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015

22 Conference Championships

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

State Champions: 2015

#2 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

I feel terrible for the kids. Less than a month away from the season starting and their HC up and leaves. I get it he has to do what is best for him and all that nonsense, but I am not a fan of leaving this close to a season. Just me personally. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#3 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

The timing for a change is never good. Sometimes you just have to take the chance when it happens.

#4 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

The timing for a change is never good. Sometimes you just have to take the chance when it happens.

I guess. Still do not like it, jumping ship 3 weeks before the season? Reminds me of why I can never respect Justin Hardin. Left Weddington in July for an OC job in SC. Just am not ok with moves this close to a season, puts your school in a bind and is not fair to the kids. Just my opinion. 

Also there is a good timing for a change, in December-April even May. So that statement is BS there are good times to move where both parties benefit and one isn't left out to dry like in this case. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#5 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Yea, change during that time is best. But, it is not always when the job comes open that makes you feel the need to change and go for it. Ragsdale is not left out to dry. They will find a coach suitable for this season right now. 

#6 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Yea, change during that time is best. But, it is not always when the job comes open that makes you feel the need to change and go for it. Ragsdale is not left out to dry. They will find a coach suitable for this season right now. 

In 3 weeks? Lol

They're basically left to an on staff hire which isn't bad, but still not a good situation for the school. They were left out to dry. I don't like it at all. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#7 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

Norwood is a great man.  I wish him well.  I have heard that SC is much more profitable than NC.  Especially GC.

#8 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I feel terrible for the kids. Less than a month away from the season starting and their HC up and leaves. I get it he has to do what is best for him and all that nonsense, but I am not a fan of leaving this close to a season. Just me personally. 

All that nonsense?? Seriously?  Let me get this straight. Guys like Aldridge and Evans can be fired at the drop of the hat . This guy has been there forever. Like 15 years or something. He gets a job offer that most likely increases his pay substantially , assuming its an area he and his family wants to live in. He is supposed to say no because of the timing?   After 15 years at the school?

You want to resolve these issues" for the kids". Give these guys reasonable pay and benefits for a 60 hour a week job and give them a binding contract. You cant leave until this contract is done.....I cant fire you without cause.

By the way, any idea how many open teaching positions will exist  for these kids when the schools open the doors. A far bigger issue than the coach taking another position.

#9 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Say you are making $70k and have over 30 years in the system.  You have a family and have put kids through college and/or have some in or going.  NC will not allow to retire and continue on making the same money or close to it.  SC offers $80k or more with much less non football required work.  You will get $40k in retirement.  If a man has a family the decision is more complicated.  

I get it.  I do not like the timing but you have to be careful about turning the job down because there may not be a next offer for awhile especially as more and more retirement term NC coaches are trying to get to SC and even ones with less years.

Good luck to Coach Norwood.  Wake up NC.  Figure it out.

#10 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

All that nonsense?? Seriously?  Let me get this straight. Guys like Aldridge and Evans can be fired at the drop of the hat . This guy has been there forever. Like 15 years or something. He gets a job offer that most likely increases his pay substantially , assuming its an area he and his family wants to live in. He is supposed to say no because of the timing?   After 15 years at the school?

You want to resolve these issues" for the kids". Give these guys reasonable pay and benefits for a 60 hour a week job and give them a binding contract. You cant leave until this contract is done.....I cant fire you without cause.

By the way, any idea how many open teaching positions will exist  for these kids when the schools open the doors. A far bigger issue than the coach taking another position.

This is not about Aldridge.  It's not about Evans or any other name you might drop.  This is about the Ragsdale players.  Do you think it's acceptable to push these kids and scream words like commitment, sacrifice, and team and then peace out 3 weeks before the season.  There's no 'I' in team. 

I agree good for him doing what he feels is best for his family. I'm sure he did what was best for him, doesn't mean I cannot take exception to the timing of it. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#11 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

This is not about Aldridge.  It's not about Evans or any other name you might drop.  This is about the Ragsdale players.  Do you think it's acceptable to push these kids and scream words like commitment, sacrifice, and team and then peace out 3 weeks before the season.  There's no 'I' in team. 

I agree good for him doing what he feels is best for his family. I'm sure he did what was best for him, doesn't mean I cannot take exception to the timing of it. 

I absolutely do. HE committed and sacrificed for 15+ years and then got a better opportunity. He owes the kids and that school nothing other than well wishes just like they owe him nothing.

His first commitment is to himself, the second is to his family. Now..... The guys who jump around after a year I feel a little different about. The guy who quits mid season is a problem for me. This doesnt even give me a seconds pause.   

#12 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

I absolutely do. HE committed and sacrificed for 15+ years and then got a better opportunity. He owes the kids and that school nothing other than well wishes just like they owe him nothing.

His first commitment is to himself, the second is to his family. Now..... The guys who jump around after a year I feel a little different about. The guy who quits mid season is a problem for me. This doesnt even give me a seconds pause.   

Well I do when it's 3 weeks before practice. Just me, I just don't like coaches leaving so late in the game. I agree coaches who jump ship year after year...a couple come to mind and those who just quit midseason are not good as well. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#13 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:16 PM

I think it would be great if job offers only came at certain convenient periods of the year. Clearly the best time would have been in January or February. However thats not how the world works. The SC school had an opening to fill and now is when the needed to fill it. If the guy just took the Ragsdale gig at the first of the year I probably feel different but he has paid his dues and then some.  Ragsdale got way more out of him then 90% of the NC schools get from their coaches. 

#14 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

If you ever meet Coach Norwood, you will say dang that is a good guy!  

This would have been his 20th year as the head coach at Ragsdale.  Before that he spent 12 years as the head coach at SE Guilford.  31 years at two schools.  

I doubt he likes leaving like this although he may be glad that a trusted assistant will take the helm and succeed keeping the job long term.  He has about 35 years in the system.  I expect he thought this was now or never.  Turn it down now and the opportunity does not come up again.  

#15 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

If you ever meet Coach Norwood, you will say dang that is a good guy!  

This would have been his 20th year as the head coach at Ragsdale.  Before that he spent 12 years as the head coach at SE Guilford.  31 years at two schools.  

I doubt he likes leaving like this although he may be glad that a trusted assistant will take the helm and succeed keeping the job long term.  He has about 35 years in the system.  I expect he thought this was now or never.  Turn it down now and the opportunity does not come up again.  

Please read back through my comments. Did I ever once say he was a bad guy? No. I'm glad he is a nice guy but that does not factor in here. 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#16 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Well I think u have to understand the circumstances sometimes like ex: What if the school he going to, their HC left late or what if he put his name into the hat but the school board didn't approve it until now.

Like stated above, He has done his fair share and I believe the SRs will understand why he left and Yes even with 3 weeks left until practices n all starts there are Some schools still looking for assistance coach n all so I believe they will get someone for within who deserves a shot as HC!

I have no issue without it, only issues is if they left mid of the season or something bad happens or let go due to politics

Family always come first n Football is a Business. U gotta do what best for u but yes the kid matter n he prob loves tho kids but he thinks it's time to move on

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#17 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

Please read back through my comments. Did I ever once say he was a bad guy? No. I'm glad he is a nice guy but that does not factor in here.

The reason I wrote that he is known as a good guy is hopefully to show that this was probably a tough decision for him due to the timing. Nothing more. Was not inferring that you wrote he was not.

#18 NENCFootball

NENCFootball

Freshman Team

• Coach
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

So if the job offers were only from Feb-May, that would mean that our kids(Coaches kids) would have to transfer schools late in the year, which is asking a lot. OR we leave our family for a few months and the kids finish out the school year, without us in the household, which during the fall we are rarely home at all. There is no perfect scenario. 

CC14, if another coach is intrigued by the position at Ragsdale and gets the job, is he also a bad guy? He is leaving one school to go to another later in the year. It's not like Coach Norwood is not going to be a blessing to the kids he coaches at his 'new' school, he is still molding boys into men. 

If he was the grocery bagger at your local supermarket and changed jobs the week before Thanksgiving, would you feel the same way? Any job change causes problems/stress on the business where they were employed. Oh and btw, my personal feeling is that a successful team is made in the offseason, so coaching vacancies in the spring are actually worse on a program than in the summer. 

Coach Norwood, good luck in SC, congrats on having the chance to better your family's future and please continue to hold your players accountable for their actions, like you have done in NC for 31 years!

#19 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

CC , I am a big fan of yours and I think most people who have been on this board awhile know your a very smart and passionate younger guy.  I hate when old guys like me take a condescending tone with younger guys like you so I will say this respectfully. I think 35 years from now you may look at this thing different. You cross over the 50 yard line and the field looks a bit different. Its just a guess but I am betting Mr. Norwood has probably turned down some offers over the past 30 years because he thought first about his kids and players. You look at a place like Murells Inlet which probably is a potential retirement spot and you look at double dipping and you realize if not now......probably never. When your 24 or 25 you dont think a ton about what life will look like when you hang it up but it starts to consume you as you enter your 50's. trust me.  Feels to me like this particular coach has earned the right to be a little selfish......Thats all I am saying. 

#20 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

So if the job offers were only from Feb-May, that would mean that our kids(Coaches kids) would have to transfer schools late in the year, which is asking a lot. OR we leave our family for a few months and the kids finish out the school year, without us in the household, which during the fall we are rarely home at all. There is no perfect scenario. 

CC14, if another coach is intrigued by the position at Ragsdale and gets the job, is he also a bad guy? He is leaving one school to go to another later in the year. It's not like Coach Norwood is not going to be a blessing to the kids he coaches at his 'new' school, he is still molding boys into men. 

If he was the grocery bagger at your local supermarket and changed jobs the week before Thanksgiving, would you feel the same way? Any job change causes problems/stress on the business where they were employed. Oh and btw, my personal feeling is that a successful team is made in the offseason, so coaching vacancies in the spring are actually worse on a program than in the summer. 

Coach Norwood, good luck in SC, congrats on having the chance to better your family's future and please continue to hold your players accountable for their actions, like you have done in NC for 31 years!

Could you imagine the backlash from the community if the grocery bagger left Wally World the week before Thanksgiving? OMG!! We'd all be irate, lol. The lines would be crazy! Unless you actually are/were a coach, it is hard to truly understand all the issues that come up with a job change, no matter when it occurs. And I totally agree that it is tougher on building a team with a coaching change in the spring. Once the summer workouts have begun, the kids and coaches are in full football mode. The schedule of workouts and 7 on 7 is set. It's go time til a replacement is named. In the spring, you're building the work ethic, discipline, setting up summer schedule, setting up fall class schedules, purchasing gear, getting reconditioning done, etc. So much more to plan and prepare for the season in the spring. That time of change is tougher b/c of all that and trying to establish a culture for the program without a HC in place is really tough. Gotta have that leader in place to be the go to for the kids and coaches. I've been through that transition several times and it is real tough. I imagine a HC change this late, the administration will move quickly to continue the flow towards the season. I fully expect a veteran assistant to get the job and continue the good tradition of football there has been at Ragsdale over the years.   

#21 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

You know what I find funny is the thought that "the players won't be ready, or prepared or can't compete" when this happens. Is it right to leave late in the year with a new season looming? no, not really. But a coach has to look out for his family first and as a state employee I can tell you that when a better opportunity comes along you better act.

Players are resilient and can learn a totally new system in three weeks plus. With the similarities in offense across the state the hardest thing is often learning the terminology and numbering system. I wonder if he mentioned to his staff and players that the possibility of this move earlier and they have a plan in place already.

The game is no longer as pure as it once was and neither are coaches. This is quickly turning into a business and there's no stopping it.   

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#22 CatholicCougs14

CatholicCougs14

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,473 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Could you imagine the backlash from the community if the grocery bagger left Wally World the week before Thanksgiving? OMG!! We'd all be irate, lol. The lines would be crazy! Unless you actually are/were a coach, it is hard to truly understand all the issues that come up with a job change, no matter when it occurs. And I totally agree that it is tougher on building a team with a coaching change in the spring. Once the summer workouts have begun, the kids and coaches are in full football mode. The schedule of workouts and 7 on 7 is set. It's go time til a replacement is named. In the spring, you're building the work ethic, discipline, setting up summer schedule, setting up fall class schedules, purchasing gear, getting reconditioning done, etc. So much more to plan and prepare for the season in the spring. That time of change is tougher b/c of all that and trying to establish a culture for the program without a HC in place is really tough. Gotta have that leader in place to be the go to for the kids and coaches. I've been through that transition several times and it is real tough. I imagine a HC change this late, the administration will move quickly to continue the flow towards the season. I fully expect a veteran assistant to get the job and continue the good tradition of football there has been at Ragsdale over the years.   

That awkward moment when I actually do coach at a school...sooooooo I do get it. I never said anything about Coach Norwood not being a good guy or anything I just do not like the timing. Period. Doesn't mean he shouldn't do what is best for him and his family if you've read anything I've posted you can see I am happy he did what is best for him, he deserves it. 

Don't be so fast to think I'm wet behind the ears though like some moderators on here want you think and they know who they are.  

I do respect all your opinions and I agree I think a veteran asst gets the job and they move onward towards what I hope is a successful season for them. 

Wrigley, I think I understand why Norwood took the job. We all do, more money, football and teachers are appreciated more etc etc all great reasons to leave. I just do not like the timing. I understand that it may have just opened and he only had a limited amount of time to make the decision which seems to be the case from the article I read. I just wish it wasn't so late in the game, but beggers cannot be choosers right? 

68 Playoff Wins

40+ Years of Excellence

Basketball:

#23 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Good for you. So, you do understand taking a job when the opportunity presents itself.  

#24 scotswin

scotswin

Established Member

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Wrigley you have this order of commitment all wrong and left out the first and most important. 

#25 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Wrigley you have this order of commitment all wrong and left out the first and most important. 

Your right. I should have qualified it as my commitments. Wrong? That is a matter or opinion and without question this is the wrong forum for that discussion. If yours are different, good for you. However, my point was he doesnt owe Ragsdale anything more than he has already given. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic