Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Who wins the South Fork Athletic Conference??

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Raynor

Chris Raynor

Established Member

• Correspondent
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Bandys

East Lincoln

Lake Norman Charter

Lincolnton

Maiden

Newton-Conover

North Lincoln

West Lincoln

CarolinaPreps.com Jacksonville - Southeastern N.C. Correspondent.

#2 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Bandys

East Lincoln

Lake Norman Charter

Lincolnton

Maiden

Newton-Conover

North Lincoln

West Lincoln

Lincolnton, EL, Maiden , NC will be the top 

LKNC, Bandys, NL , WL will fight for the middle/bottom spots 

Lincolnton, NC, Maiden, EL, WL, NL, LKNC , Bandys 

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#3 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

My top 4... Lincolnton, E. Lincoln, Maiden, Newton Conover. I think Maiden and N.C could be interchangeable on spots.

I think Newton Conover could be the team to watch out for in 2018, especially with 3 year starters coming back.

#4 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

1 Lincolnton
2 Maiden
3 Newton
4 East Lincoln
5 West Lincoln
6 Bandys
7 North Lincoln
8 Lake Norman Charter

#5 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Just found out that Mayfield will be playing qb.Dude is not as fast as Farley but will be a way better passer

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Four teams will vie for the conference title and it could go many ways. Maiden, Lincolnton, Newton, and East Lincoln. Not one of these teams will remain after round three of the playoffs. The conference quality at the top is weaker than the prior 4 years. No Surratts, Littlejohns, and Farley weakens the star power.

Lincolnton will get smashed by South Point and how they respond afterwards will determine their fate. They open conference play with Newton-Conover who will be greatly improved. After many years of getting hammered by Lincolnton, Newton needs this win very badly. The Lincolnton game will follow the nonconference Hibriten game which I don't see Newton-Conover winning.

Maiden graduated all their offensive production. Last year the defense was not very good and doesn't look to get any better. But Maiden is still a program that produces wins with not very much year after year. They take one guy and make him the center of the universe. Mayfield may be that guy but he is not even a half of a Josh Farley. Speaking of Farley, he may start at VT this year and is the fastest player on the team.

The most interesting team to see will be East Lincoln. How will they play without Byus at the helm and the defections of Marcus Graham and Frasier. Their defense will be solid but the key will be how well the offense moves the ball not giving teams a short field.

#7 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

Lincolnton, East Lincoln, and Maiden will not be as good as they were last year but I think Newton Conover might be quite a bit better from what I'm told.  I don't think they will contend but North Lincoln might knock off a team or two.  The new coaching regime might pump some life into the program.

#8 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

Maiden has a core back that won the middle school confrence co title. That JV team was very good last year could of won the conference. Mayfield finally gets to start and be the leader. Maidens record will not slip to much due to a very weak non confrence. The dark horse for me is Bandys with a healthy culliver and Howard back they could surprise some people.

#9 Schmo

Schmo

Established Member

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

Maiden has a core back that won the middle school confrence co title. That JV team was very good last year could of won the conference. Mayfield finally gets to start and be the leader. Maidens record will not slip to much due to a very weak non confrence. The dark horse for me is Bandys with a healthy culliver and Howard back they could surprise some people.

Bandys has slipped quite a bit over the last few years. They have struggled to stop people and they don't have the studs up front.    It a great place to see a game, the newly renovated stadium is very nice and the people are great there. 

#10 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

[quote name="Schmo" post="291242" timestamp="1501697258"]Bandys has slipped quite a bit over the last few years. They have struggled to stop people and they don't have the studs up front.    It a great place to see a game, the newly renovated stadium is very nice and the people are great there.
[/quote
Not too long ago Bandys went to a couple regional finals and two state championship games against Reidsville. I know Culliver well from rec and middle school ball. He is a pretty good athlete and his Dad is a super guy but he is one player. The running back is a tough cat but they need bodies in the trenches and defensive backs. The linemen on both sides made past years productive.

Bandys is a great stadium, the concessions people are fantastic, best in many counties. The fans are the respectful and a class act. Much like East Surry. They will be better only because the conference teams are less intimidating now and the non conference other than one team is cupcake city. Fred T Foard, St. Stephens, Bunker Hill, and Hickory. Those four teams had maybe 8 wins combined last year.

#11 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

1. Lincolnton

2. Maiden

3. Newton

4. East Lincoln

5. Bandys

6. West Lincoln

7. North Lincoln

8. Lake Norman Charter 

#12 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,209 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

1. Lincolnton
2. Maiden
3. Newton
4. East Lincoln
5. Bandys
6. West Lincoln
7. North Lincoln
8. Lake Norman Charter

Maybe but I saw Maiden at Western Carolina University last week and they don't look nearly as talented or as solid as Newton. We'll see, the most talented teams don't always win, coaching matters too.

Lincolnton has a lot of talent, hard not to have them picked as the winner, but I do feel the gap from them to the field is pretty slim.

#13 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Just a guess from last years underclass men.

1. Newton
2. Lincolnton
3. East Lincoln
4. Maiden

Really doesn't matter after that because less this year in the conference will make the playoffs. Newton will have a tough time early with Hickory and Hibriten on the schedule. I think all four are pretty close. Newton will have a QB, WR, and RB with speed. Defensive improvement will make or break their regular season success. They could be 3-1 or 2-2 before the conference starts.

#14 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

I wouldn't sleep on West Lincoln. They bring alot back from last season. Not saying their gonna win the confrence but could be a dark horse to sneak in the top 4 finishers.

#15 ELMustangs

ELMustangs

JV Team

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

I think y'all are over rating East Lincoln based on the past. Lost one of the best coaches in the state.  There was much less talent returning this year and that was before two of the best players abandoned the team. This will be the weakest team in a very long time. In fact, I think Maiden and Lincolnton will be way down from last year as well. Newton may be pretty good from what I've heard. I don't see West Lincoln, Bandys, North Lincoln, or LNC having great teams although I think Bandys and West could be improved from last year. No title contenders this year and very few playoff games in a very weak year.

1. N-C

2. Lincolnton

3. Maiden

4-8 could go in any order.

#16 Wolf4Lyfe

Wolf4Lyfe

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

EL I agree with your statement about teams being down. Tyreke Hollis will be playing QB for us this season since both of QBs from last season will not be back. I expect us to move back more toward a run heavy offense. I expect NC to win this conference this season and if they don't do it this year I'm not sure they ever will.

#17 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

EL I agree with your statement about teams being down. Tyreke Hollis will be playing QB for us this season since both of QBs from last season will not be back. I expect us to move back more toward a run heavy offense. I expect NC to win this conference this season and if they don't do it this year I'm not sure they ever will.

Saw Newton-Conover on hitting day. Plenty of sizable kids on both sides of the ball. Small at the corner on D if they are the starters. They have two years to fulfill the dream of at least a conference title and then they turn into Red Midgets. Kids on JV are tiny with a few exceptions.

Key players to watch on offense are Shamar Baker at QB, and McClain at RB, and Miles Baker at receiver. QB played last year and shared duties with another kid. QB probably more suited to be a running back.

From what I can tell this definitely is no air raid team.

#18 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

Saw Newton-Conover on hitting day. Plenty of sizable kids on both sides of the ball. Small at the corner on D if they are the starters. They have two years to fulfill the dream of at least a conference title and then they turn into Red Midgets. Kids on JV are tiny with a few exceptions.

Key players to watch on offense are Shamar Baker at QB, and McClain at RB, and Miles Baker at receiver. QB played last year and shared duties with another kid. QB probably more suited to be a running back.

Stinson and squarles not starting this season?

#19 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

Stinson and squarles not starting this season?

Stinson is still there. Possible starter still. I was just pointing out the skill players I felt were to watch. Everyone has seen Stinson for years and knows he is a load to tackle. Linebacker pursuit would worry me again this year. For four years it's been a soft spot on Red Devil teams. Weight room doesn't fix that. Weights don't hit back.

#20 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

GDG, is Baker starting at QB or is it going to be Barlow? Either way, NC has 2 potential starters. I agree with your list to watch, and would inclue Stinson, Squarles, and maybe the most dangerous Mullen. Potential is there for NC.

#21 Wolf4Lyfe

Wolf4Lyfe

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

I saw the Baker kids at a prospect camp up at WCU a few weeks ago, very impressive athletes. Im pretty sure they ended up offering the receiver after the camp ended.

#22 Wolf4Lyfe

Wolf4Lyfe

JV Team

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

What are the numbers looking like for other squads? Lincolnton has roughly 60 out there between the Varsity and JV. Really low numbers this season for us

#23 NCDevils94

NCDevils94

Rookie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Wolf, the receiver did pick up an offer from WCU

#24 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

GDG, is Baker starting at QB or is it going to be Barlow? Either way, NC has 2 potential starters. I agree with your list to watch, and would inclue Stinson, Squarles, and maybe the most dangerous Mullen. Potential is there for NC.

Honestly I don't know who starts at QB. All I see is Baker behind the center. Personally happy feet, quick to take off running is not a trait I like. If the play is a pass, the play is a pass. You want to lose the trust of the line for the season then put someone under center that you have no idea what is going on behind you. Then linemen start turning around to see results. They become fans, not blockers.

You want to see what a real 2A/2AA contender looks like go to Belmont or Shelby. They play defense and have athletes on both sides of the ball. No team in the Southfork would score more than 14 points on either team. They are reigning champs and have more than enough to embarrass playoff teams. The goal is to win the conference. East Lincoln and Lincolnton have pummeled Catawba County teams. I think Newton has enough to beat both but will they.

#25 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

What are the numbers looking like for other squads? Lincolnton has roughly 60 out there between the Varsity and JV. Really low numbers this season for us

That is bad turnout for a traditional power.

JeffChapman-Dynamic