Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Who wins the Western Highlands?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Raynor

Chris Raynor

Established Member

• Correspondent
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Madison
Mountain Heritage (Burnsville)
Owen (Black Mountain)
Avery County (1A)
Mitchell County (1A)
Polk County (1A)
CarolinaPreps.com Jacksonville - Southeastern N.C. Correspondent.

#2 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

Western Highlands,

1. *Mitchell (Just cant put Heritage here, but probably should)
2. *Heritage
3. Polk
4. Madison
5. Avery
6. Owen

I think that Mitchell and Heritage will be at the top. The game in the pit should decide the crown. Both teams lost some major contributors from last season but return a hugh amount of talent. Can Mitchell break the 2 game win streak by Heritage, I think the talent is there but they must prove it on the field.

Polk should be much improved with the coaching change. Polk always plays Mitchell tough so could we see another 3 way split at the top?

Madison should continue to improve from last season.

I may be overlooking Owen but i believe loosing the Gibbs brothers and the Qb will be too much to overcome.

Avery could be improved if they stay healthy but just dont see enough overall talent to rise far in the rankings. Defense should be much improved.

* I may change my mind before August.

Go Mountaineers

#3 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Mitchell and heritage will fight for 1st. I give Mitchell a slight edge in talent, but heritage will have home field. Polk and Madison should duke it out for 3rd. If what I'm hearing out of Newland is true, Avery might have the d to beat one or both of these for 3rd. Owen has a tough row to hoe in the non conference, and in-conference won't be any easier.

#4 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

1A. Mtn. Heritage- Lose a lot of top players but return great QB

1B. Mitchell- Lose some talent as well but also return QB

3. Madison- Hard nosed 

4. Polk- Should be improved

5. Avery- Not enough speed or size to challenge top

6. Owen- Sad situation for the warhorses 

Which QB would you take? Robinson from Heritage or Young from Mitchell?

#5 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

As to the question of which QB, well, as a Mitchell fan of course I would take Young. Taking nothing away from Robinson. Both young men have over 8500 total yards. Young more through the air and Robinson more on the ground. I think both have potential to play at the next level. Both young men have been very good for their respective teams.  Both will be missed next season.

I hope that both stay healthy for their senior seasons. Some very good QB's in the conference this season, these two along with Overholt at Polk.

Not just WHC related but WNC has some very talented QB's at the 1a level this season:

Young at Mitchell

Overholt at Polk

Curry at Murphy

Mintz at Cherokee

I am sure there are others but these immediately just came to mind.

#6 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

As to the question of which QB, well, as a Mitchell fan of course I would take Young. Taking nothing away from Robinson. Both young men have over 8500 total yards. Young more through the air and Robinson more on the ground. I think both have potential to play at the next level. Both young men have been very good for their respective teams.  Both will be missed next season.

I hope that both stay healthy for their senior seasons. Some very good QB's in the conference this season, these two along with Overholt at Polk.

Not just WHC related but WNC has some very talented QB's at the 1a level this season:

Young at Mitchell

Overholt at Polk

Curry at Murphy

Mintz at Cherokee

I am sure there are others but these immediately just came to mind.

It's been fun the last couple of years watching Mitchell and Heritage duke it out with these two qbs, I hope both have big years and represent the WHC well

#7 Football_Fan0414

Football_Fan0414

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Three levels in the WHC you have Mitchell and Heritage at the top level heading into the season. On the next level you have an up and coming Madison program and Polk will be better with coach Ollis returning. The final level has Owen who has been decimated by transfers and Avery which has been down a couple of years now. Heritage and Mitchell will both face tough contest from Polk and Madison and can't afford a slip up in either of those games. Should be a fun year in the WHC.

#8 POLK FAN

POLK FAN

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Mt heritage
Mitchell
Polk
Madison
Owen
Avery

Excited about this year , believe Polk will surprise some people if we can keep everyone healthy, I know Overholt has put on 30 pds ,the fullback has also put on 30 pds ,bunch of kids finally filled out which is good to see hoping we can compete for the top spots,
But until mt heritage or Mitchell gets knocked off , have to give the nod to them.

#9 Cougars66

Cougars66

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

Heritage
Mitchell
Madison
Polk
Avery
Owen

#10 rocketman

rocketman

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

1- Heritage after watching the 7 on 7 tourney at Erwin the most talent in the conf.

2- Mitchell picking Mitchell over Polk because of line play,

3- Polk if line comes around could win the WHC.

4- Mad  

5-Avery

6-Owen hate they have lost them players, they want be down long,

#11 Magnum

Magnum

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

1. Heritage - until Mitchell can beat them on the field they should be #1.

2. Mitchell - With Hendo gone they should lock up the #2 spot with Polk very close behind.

3. Polk - Best coach in the conference and they looked very good at the 7 on 7 at Erwin.

4. Owen -  Even though their best player sold out and left they still have pride and will fight every game.

5. Avery - Never know with this squad

6. Madison - Hate to say it but I think they will be the Madison of old.

#12 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

1. Heritage - until Mitchell can beat them on the field they should be #1.

2. Mitchell - With Hendo gone they should lock up the #2 spot with Polk very close behind.

3. Polk - Best coach in the conference and they looked very good at the 7 on 7 at Erwin.

4. Owen - Even though their best player sold out and left they still have pride and will fight every game.

5. Avery - Never know with this squad

6. Madison - Hate to say it but I think they will be the Madison of old.

I could see Owen potentially beating Avery and winning a few games, but what's going on with Madison? Saw the Snealson kid on news 13 and seemed pretty confident they'd be playing to win the conference

#13 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

I could see Owen potentially beating Avery and winning a few games, but what's going on with Madison? Saw the Snealson kid on news 13 and seemed pretty confident they'd be playing to win the conference

Pm me

#14 Rocket

Rocket

JV Team

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

‪Rhodarmer leaves Madison; Eubanks promoted to head coach, AD according to the Asheville Citizen Times.

#15 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

That's a big blow this late in the year, I hope madison keeps it together, lot of potential this year just got to play with a chip on their shoulder like last year

JeffChapman-Dynamic