Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Who's the best high football player you ever seen play?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Best I've ever seen in person would be Todd Gurley. He made the Mountain Heritage defense look foolish (I was rooting for the cougars!) In the state championship game. Also, someone that never got attention was Alex Villanueva. QB at Avery back in 09-11. Kid could've gone d-1 if he had the exposure, that 2010 Avery team was the only 1aa with the ponies to beat Albemarle, and Mitchell beat them in 3rd round only to fall to Albemarle in the western final.

#27 Paul Graham

Paul Graham

Correspondent

• Admin Team
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

Here's a couple many have forgotten; Stevie and Jimmy Streeter from the old Sylva Webster High. they were the best players on the field at whatever position they lined up. They made Babe Howell a legend, not the other way around. Stevie was national baseball player of the year as well.

P.R. Graham

SMC

The standard in 1A since 1969

26 state titles in 35 apperances

22 consecutive finals appearances

SMC 1A/2A 32 state titles

#28 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

Gotta go with Norris Hopper, QB from Shelby in 1997 and it's not because I was snapping the ball to him.  Unbelievable athleticism.  He made the Shrine Bowl and was moved to WR and KR.  He was the MVP of the shrine bowl with 2 or 3 tds. At lease one KR for a TD and one TD from the receiver position.  He was drafted straight out of high school by the Kansas City Royals and played a season with the Cincinnati Reds where he batted around .300 with around 15 stolen bases and a home run.

#29 Superkase

Superkase

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Michael Angram was one hell of a HS RB. Best vision I have ever seen on a HS football field.

Crezdon Butler and Manny Deshauteurs were outstanding as well. 

I tackled Deshauters once.  He was out of bounds on our sideline, but it was the one time I got a good wrap up on him.

#30 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

Here's a couple many have forgotten; Stevie and Jimmy Streeter from the old Sylva Webster High. they were the best players on the field at whatever position they lined up. They made Babe Howell a legend, not the other way around. Stevie was national baseball player of the year as well.

I remember when Steve Streeter was paralyzed in that car wreck when he went to sign to play for the Redskins, then the next season when Kelvin Bryant scored six touchdowns against ECU he took the ball to him in his wheelchair in the end zone after every score..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#31 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Jonathan Crompton was no slouch for Tuscola.. Certainly Leon Johnson was dynamite for Freedom, Jagar Gardner was pretty explosive for Owen, but Terrance "buggy" Kincaid may have been the best athlete of any of them. He single handedly made McDowell watchable during some lean years. Just couldnt get his head on straight

#32 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Several come to mind.  Josh Ladowski at Lake Norman was just amazing.  It's a crying shame the guy wasn't 6'2 because he was something special.  AJ Blue at North Gaston took a game over, he so so talented.  The player that I might have more respect than any other is Eric Brietenstien at Watauga.  He was a beast that just kept going.   

#33 HoundBooster84

HoundBooster84

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

Elijah Hood of Charlotte Catholic and Nick Maddox from A.L. Brown still give me nightmares as a Statesville fan so I'll go with those two.

#34 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Several come to mind.  Josh Ladowski at Lake Norman was just amazing.  It's a crying shame the guy wasn't 6'2 because he was something special.  AJ Blue at North Gaston took a game over, he so so talented.  The player that I might have more respect than any other is Eric Brietenstien at Watauga.  He was a beast that just kept going.   

Brietenstein was some player 

#35 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Ladowski is a better baseball player than football. Very good in both sports. But better in baseball

#36 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Ladowski is a better baseball player than football. Very good in both sports. But better in baseball

I really don't think so and I saw him play both.  He likely made a good decision sticking with baseball but I'll go back to what I said before.  If he was a little taller, he'd be a premier college QB.  Too many programs just couldn't look past the fact he was about 5'9.  I saw him play baseball and he used that cannon to his advantage but I'm not sure he has the bat to make it work in a big way. 

#37 Chute Boxe Hero

Chute Boxe Hero

• Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Keenan Allen, N. Guilford. Man among boys most Fridays.

Co-signed.

#38 gg4bama

gg4bama

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Over the years I have seen some really good ones in no particular order...

Rico Dowdle

Heath Shuler

Carl Pickens

Brad Johnson

Johnny White

Crezdon Butler

William Collins (not many know of him.  played at ACR and went on to Uof Minnesota)

Sam Gash

Oscar Sturgis

Mike Thomas

#39 HHS2003

HHS2003

Established Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Tyler Shatley East Burke

Antwon Icard Maiden

#40 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

I've seen tons of the players listed in this thread. So many had special talents. Tyler Shatley did it all. Shotput, discus, linebacker, tailback, fullback, and finished second to the same state champion twice. Man among boys. Ladowiski had a cannon arm with a presence on the field that made him special. Antwon Icard ran like deer. Rico was a one year legend with special moves. Johnny White was explosive. Hood powered his way over and around people with that stiff arm. Saw Leak play one game in person. Leon Johnson was a pure athlete in multiple sports. I've seen a bunch listed.

One that really did not impress me in person became one of the most successful of all these- Ethan Horton. QB turned running back turned NFL tightend. From Wonders to Carolina to Oakland Raiders.

#41 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Here are some worthy players that I've seen and surprised that any of these hasn't been mentioned.
Chris Smith, BJ Sherrill, and Jon Crucitti all of West Rowan. Of course I've already mention Kevin Parks. All part of State Championship games. Also who helped build a dynasty for W. Rowan which had one of the longest winning streaks in the nation at one time.

#42 Chargerbacker1111

Chargerbacker1111

JV Team

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

I think Raheem Ledbetter was the best all around athlete I've seen. He would knock your head off on defense and run over you on offense. Fun to watch him play the game. He left it all on the field.

#43 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Brian Knuckles out of West Charlotte was a beast to watch play.

#44 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:51 AM

I'm just going to mention one more. Not far from where my brother lives up in Kentucky and I'm sure most remembers Shawn Alexander. He played for Boone County High in Kentucky and held the most yards rushing at one time. Not sure if the record still holds now or not. His Junior year he had 2396 yds rushing and his senior year 3166 yards. Not sure about the stats of his early years of HS. Then he would go on and play for Alabama and then onto Seattle Seahawks from 2000- 2007. Then play for Washington Redskins in 2008.

#45 Magnum

Magnum

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Chris Leak....He was great in high school.

Best individual performance was TJ Logan in the state title game vs Charlotte Catholic. I will never forget that.

#46 Mt.Ulla-Falcon-Fan

Mt.Ulla-Falcon-Fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Natron Means and Kevin Parks on Offense,  Chris Smith on Defense West Rowan now plays DE for Bengals

#47 tb1978

tb1978

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

Mark Tuck, East Mecklenburg, 1977.  First team SW 4A Offensive Tackle, First Team SW 4A Defensive Tackle.  Shrine Bowl.  

#48 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,523 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Mark Tuck, East Mecklenburg, 1977.  First team SW 4A Offensive Tackle, First Team SW 4A Defensive Tackle.  Shrine Bowl.  

Dominating lineman on both sides of the ball.  State championship senior season and one point loss his sophomore season in title game.  Mark went to Nebraksa in the Roger Craig / Dean Steinkuhler recruiting class.  Sadly, Mark passed away in 2009.  

#49 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,523 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

I think Raheem Ledbetter was the best all around athlete I've seen. He would knock your head off on defense and run over you on offense. Fun to watch him play the game. He left it all on the field.

Spoke to a former NFLer after watching Crest.  Said Ledbetter is great high school football player but it a lot easier to find Ledbetter's than Bullard's.  There are not many Jonathan Bullard's.  His combination size, athleticism, and explosiveness is hard to find.   

#50 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

Tj logan

JeffChapman-Dynamic