Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Who's the best high football player you ever seen play?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Blakk Richmond_*

Guest_Blakk Richmond_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

My pick is Craig King out of Asheville High. Graduated in 1992 it was like watching, a NFL player knock hs guys out. He was amazing played at Tennessee, just never made an NFL roster. To this day I still haven't seen a high school LB that viscous.

#2 WarriorLife04'

WarriorLife04'

Established Member

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

TA McClendon

#3 npcfan

npcfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

Vinson Smith from Statesville in the early 80s...defensive end that was dominant and a high school all American! Won a super bowl with the Dallas cowboys.

#4 acoach

acoach

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

Keenan Allen, N. Guilford. Man among boys most Fridays.

#5 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hard to say but I'm going with Marquise Williams QB for Mallard Creek. He look real impressive against Mooresville. Also was QB for UNC Tarheels. Of course I can't leave out Kevin Parks, used to be RB for West Rowan.

#6 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

Marquise William, Tommy Bullock , Josh Ladowski , Travis Ramuser , Kese Rankin , Zamir White etc

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#7 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Nick Maddox, Jay Graham

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

Josh Ladowski of Lake Norman High. Cannon arm, great set of wheels, North Carolina record holder of offensive yards.

Travis Padgett- Crest High. Fastest player in pads I ever saw. Ran track at Clemson and in Europe. Rarely used in high school at RB.

#9 Chopper747

Chopper747

JV Team

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Adrian Peterson

#10 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

For Iredell County

Lake Norman- Josh Ladowski

South Iredell- RB  Tyrone Westmoreland he was a 4 year starter and average over 1000 yards season

West Iredell- Mark summers a 4 year starter at WR. And Jerome Henderson that played in the NFL

North Iredell- RB Carl Jones and QB/FS and Punter Nick Stutts he carried the whole team in 05 and 06

Statesville LB Vinson Smith played 12 year in the NFL.

Mooresville RB Corey Alexander played at South Carolina  

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

A-Train mentions Cory Alexander. Alexander had amazing quickness. I would always watch the game with him in it from the end zone so I could see the moves he made to get downfield.

#12 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

Yep I watched both Corey Alexander (Mooresville) and Tyrone Westmoreland ( S.Iredell ). Two amazing running backs. T. Westmoreland was one more wrestler as well. He wrestled on varsity from his freshman year through his senior year. Only lost 3 matches and that was in the State Finals in his freshman, sophomore and junior year. But won it in his senior year.

#13 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Here is one that i remember. Some of you people might remember Anwar Goo Wyatt of Lincolnton from the early 90s. Very exciting player to watch, but sadly he got into some serious trouble with the law his rising Senior year. Rumors were that he tried to enroll at Maiden and West Charlotte his Senior year, but that didn't follow through.

#14 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Oh yes I remembered Anwar Goo Wyatt along with Charles Briggs as well. The year was 1993 when Lincolnton won the State Championship game in the 2A. Charles Briggs was a big 6' 6" or 6' 7" WR. I seen him jump up over 2 players guarding him and grab the ball and kept going for the TD. He was a star Basketball player as well.

#15 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Leon Johnson-he was such a freakish athlete, we used him at QB, but he was more naturally a running back. He could do just about anything athletically:  State champion in the long jump, almost certainly the school record holder for dunks (despite being no taller than 6'1), drafted by the Giants to play baseball. I think he still holds several ACC records for all purpose yardage.  He returned a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns in a season when he was with the Jets, before he hurt his knee-still had a reasonably successful seven year pro career.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#16 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

I'd have to say Toney Baker (The touchdown maker) from Ragsdale.  He had the size and speed and held the state rushing title for a while.  He played for NC State and was drafted I think by the Denver Broncos.  He played very little in the pros.  In my opinion, he got a little to big for the RB position (6'0" 245 lbs) and lost a step or two. 

Runner up would be Hood from CC.  My son was the QB for SEG and lost in the quarter finials to CC.  He ran a 4.5 40 and scored many TD's throwing and running over his high school years.  Usually if he got the corner, he was a tough tackle.  He told me he thought he was going to have a long one against CC and couldn't believe Hood ran him down from behind (Hood also was a beast at LB).

#17 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

The only thing that held Hood back at UNC was the coach.  When Hood got in a rhythm the coach would take him out.  You could see the disappointment on his face. 

#18 SE Parent

SE Parent

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nice

#19 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

Havent seen as many or some as good as some of you all but,
Heath Shuler-Swain
Leon Johnson- Freedom
Brad Johnson- Owen (can't remember much, just that he was very good)

#20 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,523 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

I'd have to say Toney Baker (The touchdown maker) from Ragsdale.  He had the size and speed and held the state rushing title for a while.  He played for NC State and was drafted I think by the Denver Broncos.  He played very little in the pros.  In my opinion, he got a little to big for the RB position (6'0" 245 lbs) and lost a step or two. .

Baker suffered a devastating knee injury which pretty much ended his career at NC State for two seasons although he did come back for a last one but was never the same.  Signed as a free agent with the Broncos, but do not think he ever played in a regular season.

I personally think he was the best high school running back I have watched play prior to Hood.  Could do a lot on the field and could play D. McLendon is right there in the mix.  I give the Hood the nod due to better speed.  McLendon may have had as much potential as he was just a natural but work ethic and bad decisions were a downer.

#21 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

Havent seen as many or some as good as some of you all but,
Heath Shuler-Swain
Leon Johnson- Freedom
Brad Johnson- Owen (can't remember much, just that he was very good)

Sam and Eric Gash were from that era, but how could you forget about Joey Robinson! Lol I'm just kidding with ya

#22 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

Best RB was Robert Smith of Euclid Ohio. I would put Kijana Carter and Elijah Hood pretty close. That may change after I see Zamir.

QB would be Chris Leak. Really never saw anything close.

Defense would be Andy Katzenmoyer of Westerville South, Mr. Ohio in the mid nineties

DJ Humphries of Mallard Creek would be the best Oline

Probably Javadeon Clowney the best DL of RH Southpointe

#23 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Sam and Eric Gash were from that era, but how could you forget about Joey Robinson! Lol I'm just kidding with ya[/quote]

While Joey was pretty good if I were to rank Robinson's I think Trey is better unfortunately.

Had forgotten about the Gash brothers, they were tough as nails.

#24 Bootlegger

Bootlegger

JV Team

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Michael Angram was one hell of a HS RB. Best vision I have ever seen on a HS football field.

Crezdon Butler and Manny Deshauteurs were outstanding as well. 

#25 SMC Observer

SMC Observer

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:56 PM

In terms of skill players Crezdon Butler from Asheville with AJ Blue from North Gaston and Johnny White from Asheville honorable mentions. I'm not old enough to remember some of the other WNC greats like Pickens, Gash, Shuler, Little, etc. Overall though I'd probably have to go with Clint Boling from Chattahoochee High in Alpharetta, he was man among boys. Boling went on to star at UGA and is going on his sixth season as a starter for the Bengals.

JeffChapman-Dynamic