Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Later start for early games

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

We usually have hot weather aleast for the first couple games. So I have thought many times when the temperatures are soaring in the 90's especially in August that they could move the games 30 mins. later. If games are 7:30 they could move it up to 8:00. And the ones that are 7 move it up to 7:30. There has been times just sitting in the bleachers with the sun beaming down sweat would be pouring. I could imagine how it is on the players. So any thoughts or opinions on aleast the first couple games moved to a 30 min. later start. I would think this would be better for the players.

#2 acoach

acoach

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

Makes sense so it probably won't happen. :o I'm old enough to remember when all varsity games started at 8. Seems JV's have almost always started at 7.  

It may interest you to know that at least one conference is going the other way.  Person County is now in the Mid-State 3A.  They are a long drive from most conference opponents. Someone (not implying it was PC) proposed starting JV games at 6 o'clock. A compromise was struck so that those games will kick off at 6:30.  Crazy! People talk out of both sides of their mouth when talking about player safety, 

#3 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

Well some may not like 8pm starts bc it's mean game end later so I like the 7:30 time start but that's what I'm use to anyhow

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#4 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

Well I'll continue to be on the record against 7:00 p.m. starts.  I know a bunch of sportswriters have pushed for it but that's only because they don't like having to hurry up and have stories written before a deadline.  I can think of far more cons for 7 pm starts than pros. 

#5 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

I can remember as well when games started at 8. One thing I would bring out. Of course it's my opinion again. Whether it's 7:30 or 8 starting time it gives fans more time to get home from work and get ready and head to the games plus it helps for driving longer distance to make it to the games on time. I guess I'm old school about things. But I also understand they have their reasons for start time as well.

#6 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,080 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

I remember the 8pm starts and preferred them, but I understand not wanting to have high school kids out that late, even if it is a weekend night. 

#7 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

8PM. High school kids are out late these days anyway Chris. Believe me I see it!! lol

#8 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,293 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

I hate 7pm starts in Charlotte.  It is tough getting around and much tougher for the parent trying to get home, get the youngsters lined up, and then travel through more traffic to make the 7pm start time.

Problem with 8pm is the finish time.  With the passing game and what seems like more stoppages in play and penalties the games drag on.  

I was at a 7pm start time game that finished after 11pm a few years ago.  Unreal game! 

JeffChapman-Dynamic