Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Who Stands as the Top Competition for A.L. Brown in 2017?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

**********Teams That will Give the Wonders the Most Challenge in 2017********

Looking over the strength of schedule for the Wonders this season, I can't help but see how difficult the terrain is for the Wonders during the non conference schedule to begin the 2017 campaign. This is how FIK sees the competition rounding out for 2017. To me the non conference schedule is as much, if not more difficult than most of the SPC schedule combined, and that's not said to slight any of the other teams of the SPC. Looking at it objectively though, pound for pound, 4A Davie County, 4A Mooresville, 3A Marvin Ridge are some of the best competition outside the MECKA 4A the Wonders have played since the Late Ron Massey began scheduling South Point, and Eastern Randolph for his non conference opponents. Marvin Ridge defeated J.M. Robinson last year in the 2nd round to advance to the District Championship game. Mooresville who has long been a traditional rival for Kannapolis since the golden age of Wonder football defeated the Wonders last year in the Devil's Den in the Patriotism Bowl, while Davie County defeated the Wonders in the 2nd round of the 4A playoffs last year at Davie. The War Eagles who use to be a big contest for the Wonders in their former CPC 4A years in the late eighties now have the chance to become a pretty good rivalry of sorts if they get their chance. I would like to see them as a mainstay on the Wonders calendar year in and year out. Jesse Carson High will be an interesting new contest for the Wonders with former A. L. Brown state championship winning QB William Craft coaching the QBs up in China Grove.

I like coach Newsome's approach to the non conference schedule this season. Like coach Massey did during his tenure, the teams the Wonders will play in the non conference will prep them for the meat of the SPC schedule when they face off with the top teams of the conference. Hands down, and I don't think anyone will disagree that coming into the 2017 season, the J.M. Robinson Bulldogs will be the team to beat. They are the current defending SPC Champion, and they now have a taste for success. The only marquee team the Bulldogs haven't beaten in their program's existence is Kannapolis, and I'm sure we are circled on their calendar as one of their marquee contests. Last year they defeated Concord for the SPC title, and came within just a few seconds, and one big play from upsetting 4A A.L. Brown last year in Concord. That is one scary program down there in Concord now, and with the addition of former Little Wonder standout Tim Davis to the Bulldog coaching staff for 2017, they just got scarier.

Concord will be tough simply on the mere fact that it is our biggest rivalry, and as always you can throw the record books out the window as most of us who are familiar with this contest already know. West Rowan has had a lot of success over the years down in Mt Ulla during the Scott Young era, and have defeated the Wonders once since the series began back in 1965. Central Cabarrus will be in their first year with former Spider Kenneth McClamrock at the helm, and nobody knows Wonders like Spiders do. There will be a personal interest in this game by McClamrock, just as there is with Marty Paxton. I don't see immediate domination by the Vikings this season, but in the post Donnie Kiefer era, it's not going to be long before the Vikings start scaring people as well. I think you are going to see a shift in power in that part of Cabarrus County over the next few years, which historically has been dominated by CHS. Northwest Cabarrus I think will be a much improved team under second year head coach Brandon Gentry, but there is still a ways to go before you can start considering the Trojans as a viable contender.

Rounding out the competition are Cox Mill and Hopewell, who unfortunately have been bringing up the rear of the pack over the last two to three years. I think you will see improvement there as well, but like Northwest Cabarrus, these teams are going to be cutting their teeth over the next several seasons until they get some continuity going in the coaching arena. All in all, this should be an interesting season for the Wonders as the season is set to begin in just a few short weeks. It will be nice getting back to some traditional matchups that folks are excited about seeing, and with the Wonders having been seasoned in 4A play over the last four years in the MECKA, I think you will see each opponent bringing their A games when they gear up to play the Wonders this season. 2017 will be fun, and I can promise you it will be no cake walk!!

*************************************************Strength of Schedule**************************************************

01. J.M. Robinson
02. Marvin Ridge
03. Mooresville
04. Davie County
05. Concord
06. West Rowan
07. Central Cabarrus
08. Carson
09. Northwest Cabarrus
10. Cox Mill 
11. Hopewell

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

I would probably move Davie County up to number two, they did graduate last year's Shrine Bowl quarterback Chris Reynolds, but they were still young last year and return many starters. It won't be an easy task beating them.

West Rowan cloud be slightly better than Concord but those could be interchangeable.

#3 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I would probably move Davie County up to number two, they did graduate last year's Shrine Bowl quarterback Chris Reynolds, but they were still young last year and return many starters. It won't be an easy task beating them.

West Rowan cloud be slightly better than Concord but those could be interchangeable.

I agree Chris. There was little disparity for me between Davie and Mooresville. Last year it was the play of the War Eagle QB that proved devastating for the Wonders. Sherrod Sutton was also out of the game which was a big hit to our defense. I think Davie is winnable this season depending on how our QB situation progresses and that of Davie. I have Concord at #5 because you know how it goes with them, but I don't for one minute believe they are better than Davie or Mooresville.

#4 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Conference of play I think it will be: JM Robinson n Concord

Non Conference: Mooresville, David Co, MR and maybe even West rowan/Carson

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#5 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Look out for Jaylen Neal this year. If he is as explosive a runner in varsity as he was in JV, we could be seeing the next big thing in Wonder RBs since Kalif Phillips and Ricky Sherrill.

#6 twinpeeks

twinpeeks

Established Member

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

our starting qb will not play,best rb is not out there,fastest player not out there

#7 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Well I know this, South Rowan won't lose to the Wonders this year!

#8 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Well I know this, South Rowan won't lose to the Wonders this year!

That's not funny Chris!! lol

#9 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

That's not funny Chris!! lol

It's ok, you can still play Old Mac Donald for Carson too!

#10 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

One thing I see with this schedule for the Wonders is they should have some real good turnouts. Unlike the conference they were in last year I could see bigger crowds than in the past. Especially with Davie, West Rowan, who hasn't played Wonders in the regular season in a while. Then you have Mooresville, Concord spiders which is big with the crowds. Also with Concord Robinson knowing they could stand a chance at winning the conference plus the hype I could see this being an exiciting year for Wonders and the teams that will meet up with them. Should be a lot of exciting games to see.

#11 twinpeeks

twinpeeks

Established Member

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

scott,all the schedules i saw we play at wr

#12 Friday Nights in K-Town

Friday Nights in K-Town

Established Member

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Really? The first schedule that came out had them home, and Chris has it as a home game as well. Need to confirm this. Somebody may have gotten the wrong information. Thanks.

#13 twinpeeks

twinpeeks

Established Member

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

a l brown website has at wr

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

My schedule came from Coach Newsome but it's not uncommon for sites to be wrong from time to time. I'll reach out and get the clarification.

#15 Mt.Ulla-Falcon-Fan

Mt.Ulla-Falcon-Fan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

West Rowan has played Brown well in the past.  Should be a good game.  Brown definitely should be favored.  However, West staff always squeezes ever ounce of ability and potential out of our kids.  Love me some Friday nights. 

JeffChapman-Dynamic