Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Any ideas on what the 2A top 20 will look like this year

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

JV Team

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

lets see some early predictions .

NORTHWOOD CHARGERS FOOTBALL

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

1981 , 1984 , 2005 , 2007 , 2008 , 2010     

BASKETBALL  STATE  RUNNER-UP

2000 , 2009 , 2011

WALLACE-ROSE HILL BULLDOGS

STATE CHAMPIONS

BASKETBALL  1998 , 2006

FOOTBALL  1994 , 2009 , 2010 , 2014 , 2015 , 2016

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Well the top tier teams will be Shelby, East Duplin, North Davidson, South Point, and Northeastern.

West Craven, Reidsville, High Point Andrews, and Hibriten will also be top-10 quality teams.

Teams like Clinton, Bunn, Wallace-Rose Hill, Hendersonville, Mountian Heritage, and maybe Lincolnton will be solid.

Hertford County, Pisgah, South Columbus, Wilkes Central, East Montgomery, Ayden-Grinton, East Lincoln, Maiden, Roanoke Rapids, Eastern Randolph, Newton Conover, Franklin, Ledford, and Mount Pleasant should be pretty decent as well.

#3 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

I echo your sentiments on East Duplin.  They went 13-2 last season losing in the 2-AA Eastern finals.  They return nine starters from a defense that had seven shotouts and only gave up 7.5 ppg.  On offense they return the entire backfield, tight end, and a couple of linemen.  I think their JVs were 9-1 or 8-2.  I saw them play twice last year and I was really impressed.  At the end of the season, I thought they were the best 2-AA team in the east and I really expected them to beat Clinton in the Eastern finals before they both ran into Northside (a team ED beat in the regular season).  One thing about it, they are playing a pretty difficult schedule with out of conference games at Jacksonville, at Ayden-Grifton along with Southwest Onslow plus conference games at Wallace-Rose Hill, at Clinton and James Kenan.

I plan on being in attendance for the ED/WRH conference opener on 9/22.  Its a shame these two play a conference game so early.

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

Looking at the western side only there are some fantastic teams.

Shelby- start with the four time consecutive champions. Loaded. Defense is loaded. Linebackers are most likely the best in all of North Carolina. QB returns, RB is very good. Offense should be slightly less exciting unless some WRs develop. Got a transfer that should help at WR. Strive for Five coming.

South Point- loaded on defense and offense in that ground and pound red bone. New coach is an unknown factor here. Very well expect no change in style. They will miss Muse on both sides of the ball. 3A champion from last year. Very well could see the 2A and 2AA champions out of the same conference with Shelby and South Point being the he last game of the regular season.

Hibriten- lots of pieces coming back from a team in the western final. Offense will blow away everyone on the schedule. They will not lose a conference game. No problem getting to at least 10-1. Week one is 3A JM Robinson. They win that game and I expect them to be undefeated.

Lincolnton- a bit of a unknown. Could be a usual great team or an above average team. Littlejohns are gone. Defense and offensive line need to develop rapidly. By week two we will know more.

Pisgah- great to see these guys in the 2A ranks. They will add a lot of excitement to the playoffs.

Hendersonville- will be in the mix. Looks like they will be a solid offensive squad based on last year and returning players.

#5 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Looking at the western side only there are some fantastic teams.

Shelby- start with the four time consecutive champions. Loaded. Defense is loaded. Linebackers are most likely the best in all of North Carolina. QB returns, RB is very good. Offense should be slightly less exciting unless some WRs develop. Got a transfer that should help at WR. Strive for Five coming.

South Point- loaded on defense and offense in that ground and pound red bone. New coach is an unknown factor here. Very well expect no change in style. They will miss Muse on both sides of the ball. 3A champion from last year. Very well could see the 2A and 2AA champions out of the same conference with Shelby and South Point being the he last game of the regular season.

Hibriten- lots of pieces coming back from a team in the western final. Offense will blow away everyone on the schedule. They will not lose a conference game. No problem getting to at least 10-1. Week one is 3A JM Robinson. They win that game and I expect them to be undefeated.

Lincolnton- a bit of a unknown. Could be a usual great team or an above average team. Littlejohns are gone. Defense and offensive line need to develop rapidly. By week two we will know more.

Pisgah- great to see these guys in the 2A ranks. They will add a lot of excitement to the playoffs.

Hendersonville- will be in the mix. Looks like they will be a solid offensive squad based on last year and returning players.

Is there a pretty good chance that shelby goes small 2a this year?

#6 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

Not sure. 1A teams going up should still put them on the border of the cut. My guess is they will be little 2A being that their enrollment has stayed the same. South Point, Pisgah, and Hibriten will be 2AA.

#7 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

Most everyone in the country knows who Shelby's LB Dax Hollifield is but I'm curious about the little brother. I see he is 6'5" and 340 lbs. Think they refer to him as Big Bubba. What's the outlook on this kid. I hear he is a future D1 offensive lineman. Any Shelby fans have insight on the younger Hollifield.

#8 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

Not sure. 1A teams going up should still put them on the border of the cut. My guess is they will be little 2A being that their enrollment has stayed the same. South Point, Pisgah, and Hibriten will be 2AA.

I'd like to see a Heritage shelby match up this year,  I have never watched a shelby game in my life, hopefully we luck out and get you at our place lol

#9 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Most everyone in the country knows who Shelby's LB Dax Hollifield is but I'm curious about the little brother. I see he is 6'5" and 340 lbs. Think they refer to him as Big Bubba. What's the outlook on this kid. I hear he is a future D1 offensive lineman. Any Shelby fans have insight on the younger Hollifield

Edited by cougars'12, 27 June 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#10 shelbyfan

shelbyfan

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

GDG, Jack was a lineman, fullback, and TE in middle school, im hearing he will play both OLine and Dline this year for the lions, big athletic kid.btw Shelby has some Rec comming into play, goung be another great yr

#11 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

There has been a misprint on Hollifields size. He is definitely not 6'5" 340. He is much more athletic built than that. Last time I saw him this winter, he was about 6'2" 220 I would say. Still a beast of a kid, but he could probably even play tight end. He will be a handful in the future for sure.

#12 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

There has been a misprint on Hollifields size. He is definitely not 6'5" 340. He is much more athletic built than that. Last time I saw him this winter, he was about 6'2" 220 I would say. Still a beast of a kid, but he could probably even play tight end. He will be a handful in the future for sure.

Think you are referring to the older Dax who is a linebacker. 6'2 220lbs. The little brother is much bigger. Jack is a sophomore this year.

#13 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

Clinton will be in the hunt for the east once again

Return a good core group from last year and will look to fill some holes with a upcoming group from a JV team that went 9-1

Tough non conference could yield a early loss but come October,November i could see this group right up there challenging WRH and East Duplin for the Conference Crown and another deep playoff run

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#14 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Clinton will be in the hunt for the east once again

Return a good core group from last year and will look to fill some holes with a upcoming group from a JV team that went 9-1

Tough non conference could yield a early loss but come October,November i could see this group right up there challenging WRH and East Duplin for the Conference Crown and another deep playoff run

Coach Lewis has told me that this year will be somewhat of a rebuilding year with some young talent coming up and replacing some key positions, but I'm sure Clinton will still be very good and by the end of the season should be much better and experienced than in August.

#15 Darkhorse2007

Darkhorse2007

Established Member

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Coach Lewis has told me that this year will be somewhat of a rebuilding year with some young talent coming up and replacing some key positions, but I'm sure Clinton will still be very good and by the end of the season should be much better and experienced than in August.

Starting the season against Cape Fear who i believe returns alot of guys from their 4A state runner up team, newly 3A and last year 2AA state runner up Northside Jax and always strong traditional 2A east power East Bladen......yeah we gonna take our fair share of lumps early but come playoff time this team will be battle tested and a tough out for any opponent........i can see us being very young especially on defense and in the offense backfield......look out for the name Jahiem Faison....could be the next really good HB at Clinton with Skinner gone......Shameek Darby is another name expect to hear on both sides of the ball at RB and LB kid definitely has the size for it

Clinton Dark Horses
State Champs 90,96,97,2001,2005
Eastern Champs 76,90,95,96,97,2001,2002,2005,2006,2014

#16 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Think you are referring to the older Dax who is a linebacker. 6'2 220lbs. The little brother is much bigger. Jack is a sophomore this year.

No no no GDG....Jack is an incoming Freshman.  He will be in 9th grade.  He is certainly not 340. I'd estimate him at about 220...he is about the same size as Dax, maybe a little taller. That 340 was typed somewhere else but I believe was referring to the weight of Big Bubba, a defensive lineman we have returning.  Someone left out a comma in the post wherever you and I saw that.  It confused me at first as well.  

#17 InnerCityPreps

InnerCityPreps

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Good for Shelby and very impressive. They're success is starting to get annoying though. Almost Alabama esque.

I mean that as a compliment.
- Simply stated.

#18 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

No no no GDG....Jack is an incoming Freshman. He will be in 9th grade. He is certainly not 340. I'd estimate him at about 220...he is about the same size as Dax, maybe a little taller. That 340 was typed somewhere else but I believe was referring to the weight of Big Bubba, a defensive lineman we have returning. Someone left out a comma in the post wherever you and I saw that. It confused me at first as well.

Gotcha. Heard the kid is a good basketball player as well. Looking forward to seeing the Lions in action in the fall. The plan is to make the South Pointe, SC game. Crest game is always fun for me. Save me a livermush sandwich from the concession stands.

#19 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

I could see Hibriten struggling during non confrence but easily winning thier confrence. Hibriten has JM Robinson and Newton Conover 2 games I don't see them favored in.

#20 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

The teams that come to mind. Shelby, Reidsville, North Davidson, South Point. I know you have other good ones as well. But I would like to see Shelby and Reidsville go at it.

#21 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

The teams that come to mind. Shelby, Reidsville, North Davidson, South Point. I know you have other good ones as well. But I would like to see Shelby and Reidsville go at it.

Reidsville wouldn't.....hehehe

#22 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

Gotcha. Heard the kid is a good basketball player as well. Looking forward to seeing the Lions in action in the fall. The plan is to make the South Pointe, SC game. Crest game is always fun for me. Save me a livermush sandwich from the concession stands.

Yeah...evidently he is a baller on the hardwood as well.  

We are playing South Pointe today in the Carolina Panther's 7 on 7...the game is actually in 20 minutes.  It's not real football but will be interesting to see how that game turns out.

#23 kms51

kms51

Established Member

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:26 AM

[quote name="'98 State Champion" post="289129" timestamp="1498741735"]

Reidsville wouldn't.....hehehe[/quote

We wanted it last year

#24 '98 State Champion

'98 State Champion

Veteran Member