Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Butler QB position

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dreboy

Dreboy

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

How much of an effect will it have on Butler this season?  Starter wasn't at Air Raid but the back ups look very unimpressive. (One may have been JV)

#35 Mallard Creek Mavs &  #9 Butler Bulldoggs Biggest Fan....But Always a Fighting Scot!!

#2 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,428 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

How much of an effect will it have on Butler this season?  Starter wasn't at Air Raid but the back ups look very unimpressive. (One may have been JV)

You know I've spoken with Brian Hales about this and he isn't too concerned.  He laughed as he told me that the same questions were being asked two years ago after Anthony Ratliff graduated and all they had was a tall skinny kid named Davis Cheek that nobody knew nothing about and the only memory anyone had of him was being blitzed and pounded relentlessly at Mallard Creek after Ratliff broke his leg.  That tall skinny white kid who didn't look the part then sure grew up and produced big time with some coaching.  

Hales tells me that the offense this year will look much different than it has the last two years but he's confident that they'll still score a ton of points.  I'm pretty confident in his offensive coaching as well as his ability to coach up young quarterbacks.  I think his track record with that is pretty good so if I'm a Butler fan, I wouldn't worry too much. 

#3 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

All I've seen is spring football practice footage (helmets only), so I don't have enough info to form an opinion yet. I've already written off week 2 this season, but I want to see what the offense looks like in week 1 before I write any other games off.

The good news is the dline and the running game should be pretty solid. That will probably have to carry things for a while.

#4 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

All I've seen is spring football practice footage (helmets only), so I don't have enough info to form an opinion yet. I've already written off week 2 this season, but I want to see what the offense looks like in week 1 before I write any other games off.

The good news is the dline and the running game should be pretty solid. That will probably have to carry things for a while.

There is no week 1. They have a bye

#5 Wrigley

Wrigley

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

Short term? Of course it will have an effect...Long term I doubt very little. There hasnt been a school in this state that has turned out better QB's than Butler in the last 10 years. They have had some very good talent to work with but Hales is 1000% correct. There is nobody who thought Cheek would become the player he did when they looked at him as a sophmore. Now....Davis deserves a huge amount of credit for that as he clearly worked his ass off in the weight room and on his throwing ability but you just cant discount coaching. It isnt a fluke.

#6 hokiemtc

hokiemtc

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

There is no week 1. They have a bye

Uggh. That's not good news.

#7 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

I think Hales is one of the best offensive minds in NC.....with that said he will have to use that skill to its maximum this year QB is not a strength lets not kid ourselves the offense will have to look a lot different and will not have the vertical threat it had last year......the pedigree of the program wil continue to pay dividends but Butler has a loooootttttt of work ahead...

#8 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Quick update. I observed the Butler QB's at the Rock Hill NW 7 on 7 and at this past Thursday's Panther 7 on 7. Hales has an uphill climb. I never doubt him because he is a master at squeezing out of his QB and offense the most of any Coach I have seen.

#9 Wiseman

Wiseman

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

@creekprogram- who were the QBs for butler? I'm guessing Peters and Wright?

#10 Creekprogram

Creekprogram

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

@wiseman cannot confirm the names but I do think I heard those two names. They both rotated throughout.

JeffChapman-Dynamic