Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Singlet Change- Compression Shirt/Shorts Option

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

The rules have finally changed on the singlet to allow compression shorts and compression shirt in matches. The singlet has kept many kids from coming out for the sport. In my opinion this is something that has been needed for a very long time. The sport will see more younger kids due to the uniform. I've heard many kids say they do not like wearing the singlet as a reason for not wrestling. Welcome to the 21st century wrestling.

Any opinions on this either way?

#2 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Just for curiosity-did they consider it too revealing or what was their objection? In any event, so long as there is no competitive advantage gained from compression underwear I can't see the difference.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#3 smashmouth5

smashmouth5

JV Team

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

My son is thrilled by the change. He didn't mind the singlet but likes this much better. I know we had a lot of kids that didn't wrestle due to the singlet.

#4 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

Just for curiosity-did they consider it too revealing or what was their objection? In any event, so long as there is no competitive advantage gained from compression underwear I can't see the difference.

The change has been discussed for decades but the old regime just didn't want change. The newest decade of coaches realized it was keeping kids away from the sport. There is no doubt it has stunted the sports growth.

I'll be following to see who makes an immediate change in uniforms as I would hope the coaches use the new rule to entice middle school kids and younger to gravitate to wrestling. We'll find out soon who is willing to adapt and who is not willing to adapt. I think you can do much more with a compression shirt to showcase the school. Those in the rules committee nationally have been out of touch with kids way to long.

#5 BroadwayJ

BroadwayJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Spoke with a young man that is working part time for me this summer. He was 3A state champ @ 170 several years back. I mentioned the new ruling. I was surprised in his response. He stated with out a doubt that more kids of all age groups would participate now because of the new two piece uniform rule. He said that in high school many kids would not consider wrestling because they had to wear a singlet. I never in all my years would have thought a singlet would stop someone from the sport. Time will tell if rule change will be a positive move.

JeffChapman-Dynamic