Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

New Northwestern 3A/4A Conference football predictions

4A Football 3A Football Pickem/Projections WNC

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

In very first post the titanman had AC as a 3a school...Last year they were 4a, did they go down a class? Just curious.

AC was bearly 4A last yr they were the smallest 4A school in playoffs so AC is back where they belong in 3A n their conference

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#27 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:14 AM

AC was bearly 4A last yr they were the smallest 4A school in playoffs so AC is back where they belong in 3A n their conference

Well now they are one of the largest 3A schools in NC. Carter still scheduling weak non conference teams. Burns, Wilkes Central, North Iredell, and North Lincoln. Given the ADM and scheduling there should be no excuse for less than a 9-2 record.

#28 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Here is the NWC Coaches Poll

1.  Alexander Central...5 first place votes

2.  Watauga...2 first place votes

3.  Freedom...1 first place vote

4.  West Caldwell

5.  Hickory

6.  McDowell

7.  South Caldwell

8.  St Stephens

#29 titanman27

titanman27

Established Member

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

1.  Alexander Central...5 first place votes

2.  Watauga...2 first place votes

3.  Freedom...1 first place vote

4.  West Caldwell

5.  Hickory

6.  McDowell

7.  South Caldwell

8.  St Stephens

I think 4-8 look spot on, the top 3 are interchangeable in my opinion. Freedom has the talent to win it but AC and Watauga have prolific offenses

#30 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

I think 4-8 look spot on, the top 3 are interchangeable in my opinion. Freedom has the talent to win it but AC and Watauga have prolific offenses

Watauga might take a step back on offense this year to some degree, they are still good and will be tough.  Freedom has a lot of talent and in my opinion the winner of the AC-Freedom game will win the conference.

#31 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

1. Alexander Central...5 first place votes
2. Watauga...2 first place votes
3. Freedom...1 first place vote
4. West Caldwell
5. Hickory
6. McDowell
7. South Caldwell
8. St Stephens

I would switch 5 and 6 give stone one more year but mostly looks spot on

#32 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm told Freedom has fewer than 60 players out, let's hear it from Morganton.  That is not what I expected to hear with the new coach and his reputation, I thought they would get closer to 100

#33 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

I'm told Freedom has fewer than 60 players out, let's hear it from Morganton.  That is not what I expected to hear with the new coach and his reputation, I thought they would get closer to 100

I think this is a deal of quality over quantity.  Coach Bryant has removed several players from the team who simply wasn't good teammates, didn't buy into his way of doing things, and guys that were causing disruptions.  Yes, the low numbers are somewhat concerning, but I think he wanted the 'right' players over an abidance of players, many of whom would probably ride the pines anyway and steal reps from the contributors. 

#34 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

38 varsity and 23 or 24 JV from pictures I have seen on Facebook, so around 60 total, about 10% of the total number of boys in school.  Maxpreps doesn't give the best numbers for the other conference schools, but from what I can see Watauga lists 67 and McDowell 43 for Varsity (I'm pretty sure that the other schools haven't put in their real numbers yet), so our numbers look OK in comparison.  None of this worries me too much-we have enough kids to practice and fill out a competitive team, but we will probably have trouble if we have more than a few injuries.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#35 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

With the season about to start I think it is appropriate to talk a little bit about expectations;  For Freedom I think we have a reasonable expectation of showing improvement and we would be disappointed with less than seven wins, while at the same time we would not be surprised if we got 10.  While everyone's goal should be a State Title (and, of course, that is what we want), Freedom fans would be happy with the team advancing to play on the Friday after Thanksgiving and ecstatic with anything beyond that.  I, personally, would not be terribly disappointed if we lose to Shelby so long as we are competitive (last year they embarrassed us).  

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#36 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

I think this is a deal of quality over quantity.  Coach Bryant has removed several players from the team who simply wasn't good teammates, didn't buy into his way of doing things, and guys that were causing disruptions.  Yes, the low numbers are somewhat concerning, but I think he wanted the 'right' players over an abidance of players, many of whom would probably ride the pines anyway and steal reps from the contributors. 

I agree that quality gets trumped by quantity sometimes and I had heard that Bryant had removed some players.  I respect that, sometimes you have to throw rats off the ship.  I'm sure that the players remaining are quality.  If Freedom could knockoff Shelby in Week one ( wouldn't shock me) , it would mean that the rebuild is ahead of schedule.  

#37 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

If Freedom could knockoff Shelby in Week one ( wouldn't shock me) , it would mean that the rebuild is ahead of schedule.  

That's a big "if", but I'll be there week one so we'll see how it all shakes out.  I don't see Freedom winning it, but Jim Bob is one of the best coaches around and we know he'll have them ready, and on the flip side, Lance Ware has continuously tried telling me that Shely isn't "as strong" as in the past.  Of course we all know he's just sandbagging a bit. 

#38 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Alexander Central sorta had their way in Wednesday scrimmage against Bunker Hill.  Young Offensive Line is a work in progress, looks like 3 Sophomores may start

#39 stizz49

stizz49

Varsity Team

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

Is Parson not playing this year for Ac?

#40 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Is Parson not playing this year for Ac?

Correct , from what I told he has gone down the wrong path n getting into trouble so I believe Carter didn't want that on the team

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#41 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Also I heard Devon Weiss gotten Supeneded so he won't be playing Week 1 or 2

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#42 Vik-Val 86

Vik-Val 86

Established Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I guess this will change the outcome when AC plays Burns in the 1st game. I had predicted that AC wins over Burns 35-28. Now we will see what happens.

#43 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

I guess this will change the outcome when AC plays Burns in the 1st game. I had predicted that AC wins over Burns 35-28. Now we will see what happens.

Personally I don't see it changing the outcome , Bryson Godfrey is by far the best weapon on offense now if he got injury then I could see it change. Defense will still be solid so I think it will still be a AC win even without those 2 player who both good in their own right

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#44 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:24 AM

Alexander Central sorta had their way in Wednesday scrimmage against Bunker Hill. Young Offensive Line is a work in progress, looks like 3 Sophomores may start

poor bunker hill feel sorry for the group of young men in that area :(

#45 allenjd4life

allenjd4life

Established Member

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

Either Watauga is gonna be real good or maiden really down
http://www.wataugade...d1f84cf2b1.html

#46 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I'm gonna go if the weather holds.  FYI-Draughn had a kid get killed in a car accident earlier this week, so this is likely to be an emotional time for them.

Very sad to hear that

#47 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Either Watauga is gonna be real good or maiden really down
http://www.wataugade...d1f84cf2b1.html

Watauga is no layup,  ever

#48 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

Watauga is no layup,  ever

Habich is a first rate coach-Watauga lost a lot from last year, but he will have them ready to play regardless.

― C.S. Lewis

#49 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

I agree. The man is a top coach in North Carolina. He can take average athletes and make stars with his schemes. Every year they say Watauga lost a bunch to graduation and Habich keeps on winning. Great place in the fall to watch football.

#50 Kene6dula

Kene6dula

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

After having seen a lot of these teams over the summer.....

1. Freedom is certainly still the leader in my eyes. The athleticism, coaching, and new scheme will win a lot of games and they'll only get better each week.

2/3. Watauga and Alexander Central will still be very, very solid. They'll both score a ton of points but it'll come down to who can step up and play the best defense. Either could possibly knock off Freedom in a shootout if it comes to that, but neither is even close to be as talented as Freedom.

4. I still stick with Hickory being on the verge of looking good. At times they've looked like world beaters during the summer and at other times they've not been able to get out of their own way. Wide receiver Jaekwon Staten is the real deal, he's put on a show at some college camps and with a 3-year starter coming back at QB, that should be enough for Stone to work with to build a foundation for the future.

5/6. I think South Caldwell is a team that could come back really fast, going back to their old scheme under Coach Kirkpatrick could be just what they need. I could see them elevated up the rankings if things gel, but last year really set them back a long ways so we'll see. West Caldwell was the hot-shot team last year but I don't see them in the Top-3, I think they'll struggle more than many realize.

7/8. I always hate to project teams near the back of the pack but I think McDowell and St. Stephens are probably going to round up the rear but I could see McDowell be able to fight and claw with the two Caldwell schools.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4A Football, 3A Football, Pickem/Projections, WNC

JeffChapman-Dynamic