Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

WHC 2017

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Well let's get it started, 2 months from kickoff who's got it this year? Will it be Heritage or Mitchell or will someone else challenge for the crown, last year of the Trey Robinson-Ben Young era will Mitchell tie it up or will Heritage sweep the series? Here's my thoughts
1. Heritage
Mitchell
Polk
4. Madison
5. Owen
6. Avery

Another three way tie for first with Polk picking up for hendo

#2 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

I don't think Polk will have the ponies to keep up with Mountain Heritage and Mitchell this year. Between Mitchell and Mountain Heritage, flip a coin. Mitchell might have a touch more talent, but Heritage has the home field. Im watching Madison this year cause I think they will build off last years success and compete with Polk for 3rd. Avery and Owen, again flip a coin. Both teams have been decimated by transfers and lack of interest. Owen might oust the Vikings because of their size on the line, but again its a tossup.

1 Mitchell (I hope)

2 Mountain Heritage

3 Madison

4 Polk

5 Owen

6 Avery

#3 wncbowhunter

wncbowhunter

Established Member

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

1. *Mitchell (Just cant put Heritage here, but probably should)
2. *Heritage
3. Polk
4. Madison
5. Owen
6. Avery

I think that Mitchell and Heritage will be at the top. The game in the pit should decide the crown. Both teams lost some major contributors from last season but return a hugh amount of talent. Can Mitchell break the 2 game win streak by Heritage, I think the talent is there but they must prove it on the field.

Polk should be much improved with the coaching change. Polk always plays Mitchell tough so could we see another 3 way split at the top?

Madison should continue to improve from last season.

I may be overlooking Owen but i believe loosing the Gibbs brothers and the Qb will be too much to overcome.

Avery could be improved if they stay healthy but just dont see enough overall talent to rise far in the rankings.

* I may change my mind before August.

Go Mountaineers

#4 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

I don't think Polk will have the ponies to keep up with Mountain Heritage and Mitchell this year. Between Mitchell and Mountain Heritage, flip a coin. Mitchell might have a touch more talent, but Heritage has the home field. Im watching Madison this year cause I think they will build off last years success and compete with Polk for 3rd. Avery and Owen, again flip a coin. Both teams have been decimated by transfers and lack of interest. Owen might oust the Vikings because of their size on the line, but again its a tossup.

1 Mitchell (I hope)
2 Mountain Heritage
3 Madison
4 Polk
5 Owen
6 Avery

I just think Polk will be a different team with Ollis, always have been, and with Heritage coach Robinson will have them ready but we still lost 10 really good players to gruduation, we will be battle tested this year going in to conference that's for sure, hendo then Mitchell in back to back weeks will be a tough task to start off conference

#5 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I just think Polk will be a different team with Ollis, always have been, and with Heritage coach Robinson will have them ready but we still lost 10 really good players to gruduation, we will be battle tested this year going in to conference that's for sure, hendo then Mitchell in back to back weeks will be a tough task to start off conference

True that Ollis will make a difference, but I question if the talent is there. They lost storm wheeler and James wingo. Dillon Overholt is a stellar athlete, but will he be enough to carry the team to success? Polk's jv teams have been fairly lackluster the last few years. And welcome to our world. We had to play hendo then y'all back to back the last few years.

In regards to Mountain Heritage, the offense should be fine, but how is the defense going to hold up this season? You lost a few of those good secondary players. Other than special teams (which Joey has never emphasized) I think the defense might be your weakness this year.

#6 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

True the likes of Burleson, Shuford and Presnell will be tough losses on the backside of the defense. Of course the toughest of them being Shuford as he really had a nose for the ball. We are returning 3 out of the 5 linebacker/hybrids and 2 of the cover guys. I think the defense will be fine this year. We may actually be faster than last year as 4 guys moving up from JV may be some the fastest players on the team. I look for a few more players to go both ways this year, but they probably could have in the past but just no need to. Looked really good in the 7 on 7 against Asheville yesterday. Of course that is 7 on 7 and does not mean alot other than we were covering pretty well, getting to the receivers quick after a catch and getting open for plays on the offensive side quite often.

I really do not see out defense taking a step back if we can fill Shuford's shoes in the middle.   

#7 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Mitchell had a lineman challenge at Newton Conover, with Newton Conover and Kings Mountain yesterday. The boys up front are looking ugly and mean this year.

#8 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

They better if they gonna attempt to replace what you lost from last year. Don't see that happening on either side of the ball.

#9 Heritage 84

Heritage 84

Established Member

• Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

They better if they gonna attempt to replace what you lost from last year. Don't see that happening on either side of the ball.

Forgot to mention that this will be our biggest task as well, replacing some very good lineman.

#10 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

There is no replacing a Todd Self or an Alex McKinney, but our up and coming hogs are big, strong and putting in a lot of extra work.

#11 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Anyone heard any updates? How's teams looking in their 7 on 7's, any good scrimmages coming up?

#12 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

Mitchell had looked good so far. The lines are really coming together. I heard Madison was looking real good against someone, maybe RS Central? Heard the patriot secondaries were covering the pass surpringly well, although the QB needs a little more practice. Also heard heritage has been looking good in 7 on 7's, haven't heard anything about the cougar linemen. And I've been told that avery's defense is back on track with coach Brewer at d coordinator. Sources say that the Vikings might struggle to put up points this season, but opponents will struggle against their d. This gets me excited, the Vikings defense was what usually won their games, so maybe they can compete if the skills get it worked out. I also heard they have some good size and talent on the line. I'm too far away from Polk to hear any gossip, and I think everyone is aware of Owen's situation.

#13 CoachMTurner

CoachMTurner

Varsity Team

• Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

Well guys, I've been reading everything posted. Obviously every knows the happenings at owen and I'm not really gonna go into details, but it's happened and we are trying to move on. Next man up mentality now. We actually have a bunch of great kids left. Some now have an opportunity to step up and play. They may not be as talented, but I can promise you that they will give %110 percent. I guess that's all we can really ask at this age.

#14 BlueDevilsBiggestFan

BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:09 AM

Well guys, I've been reading everything posted. Obviously every knows the happenings at owen and I'm not really gonna go into details, but it's happened and we are trying to move on. Next man up mentality now. We actually have a bunch of great kids left. Some now have an opportunity to step up and play. They may not be as talented, but I can promise you that they will give %110 percent. I guess that's all we can really ask at this age.

+1

#WeAreMooresville

~~BlueDevilsBiggestFan~~

#15 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

Owen will be back. A slump every 30 years isn't so bad lol. As long as the kids put in the effort, it will pay off. Maybe not on the field, but later in life when it counts.

#16 Football_Fan0414

Football_Fan0414

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

Every program has good years and bad years, and Owen has had many more good years than bad since joining the WHC way back in the day. Over the last 3 decades I would have to think they have been the most successful program in the WHC. From Kemp to Gibbs to Lewis to Gardner they've had great backs over a lot of years. They will bounce back it may take time but they will. Mitchell and Avery as well as all the 1A schools in WNC have a new contender in Polk dropping down to 1A. Coach Ollis is a good coach and in time they will not only compete for WHC crown but most likely the state title as well. Looking forward to Friday nights.

#17 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Every program has good years and bad years, and Owen has had many more good years than bad since joining the WHC way back in the day. Over the last 3 decades I would have to think they have been the most successful program in the WHC. From Kemp to Gibbs to Lewis to Gardner they've had great backs over a lot of years. They will bounce back it may take time but they will. Mitchell and Avery as well as all the 1A schools in WNC have a new contender in Polk dropping down to 1A. Coach Ollis is a good coach and in time they will not only compete for WHC crown but most likely the state title as well. Looking forward to Friday nights.

Polk will compete this year, but I'd give the edge to Heritage and Mitchell on talent alone, and I agree next couple of years look out for Polk 

#18 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

Owen just needs to make a statement this year, no one gave Madison a chance last year with kids transferring out and they exceeded most peoples expectations, if you got kids giving it there all then that's a good start.

#19 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

disreguard

#20 cougar88

cougar88

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

This conference will come down to Heritage and Mitchell and if recent history is a good indicator I'm gonna go with Heritage.

#21 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Is anyone going to the big 7 0n 7 at Erwin on Thursday? 15 teams are participating, including Mitchell, Mountain Heritage, Polk, and Madison. Its gonna be a elimination tournament and should be a lot of fun. The other teams are the host, Erwin, Cherokee, AC Reynolds, Hendo, Burns, East Henderson, Enka, Robbinsville, TC Roberson, Tuscola, West Henderson, and Smoky Mountain.

#22 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

disreguard

What do you mean?

Is anyone going to the big 7 0n 7 at Erwin on Thursday? 15 teams are participating, including Mitchell, Mountain Heritage, Polk, and Madison. Its gonna be a elimination tournament and should be a lot of fun. The other teams are the host, Erwin, Cherokee, AC Reynolds, Hendo, Burns, East Henderson, Enka, Robbinsville, TC Roberson, Tuscola, West Henderson, and Smoky Mountain.

What time is it? Looks like the whole mountains are invited

#23 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

Sorry I had posted something, and I edited it. I think it runs from 9- 2 on Thursday

#24 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Sorry I had posted something, and I edited it. I think it runs from 9- 2 on Thursday

Any updates?

#25 Mitchell county mountie

Mitchell county mountie

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

Mitchell beat West Henderson and Tuscola, got whooped by Robbinsville, and played even with Ac Reynolds. Didn't hear about any other matchups.

JeffChapman-Dynamic