Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Western Piedmont 2A Prediction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheA-Train2012

TheA-Train2012

Established Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Could this Conference be up for grabs. Carver lost alot, but don't know what they have returning.

#2 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

I think so personally. In fact I have a very hard time picking a favorite here; it's like chemistry it will depend on a ton of different factors.

Most people will pick Carver but they are so hard to predict so that I can't do so myself. Crowell's gone and so is his talent especially his son. Coach Scales will have a lot to make up for. They barely fielded a JV squad last year and didn't play until conference time even losing to South Stokes. The main ? is what in house talent do they have? They had a decent JV squad in 2015 but from the way one of their coaches told me when we played them last year they lost a lot of them to other schools. Combined with probably one of the hardest non conference schedules in the state for a 2A school it may be a rough start for them. We probably won't know until when they line up to start conference play vs. Forbush if they have it or not. Then for 3 weeks after that they have the gauntlet of West Stokes, Walkertown, and North Surry.

Walkertown's also very hard to figure; I know very little about them besides their records and what film I've seen on Hudl.I expect them to play hard and have athletes but I don't know much besides that. 2016 was a rough season for them so who knows how it will fare when they go up a class. Their ADM's stalled last year after steadidly rising since 2013.

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

Besides that I say out of the orginal lineup the most solid programs are West Stokes and North Surry. Then followed by Forbush and Central those will be the ? marks. West and North has went a combined 41-18 between 2014 and 2016 on JV. This core all plays hard with very solid coaches who get a lot out of their kids.

West will have up from the JV's a very athletic QB who is a great option back and a solid RB but he's only a sophmore.They have a big boy who transfered from South who will be their FB and LB'er. Their main problem is that they will have a lot of young kids. Line play will be key for them as injuries hurt them last year among other things.

North on the other hand brings back a very deep in #'s senior class who got playing time last year and some the year before. NS could have as much seniors as Surry Central did last year. Their biggest ? mark is finding the QB. Smith graduated and North has 2 kids to pick from who are opposites. It will take until the opener perhaps to name 1. WR's will be young but return two 3 year players, O line won't be so inexperienced. Defense looses two 3 year starters but a pretty solid core who gained experience last year will be back.

Surry Central will more than likely have a transition year. They loose all of those hard headed seniors who led the team deep last year and their young kids have to take over. They've had their struggles in JV play the last few years. I think Central should be a team to watch though due to their coaching and suprise nature. Ultimatly they makes them dangerous if a squad isn't properly ready. They can upset anyone with their option.

Forbush lost while not solid in #'s a very hard willed senior class who helped the Falcons to beat Starmount for the first time in ages last year. How they will replace those kids (especially the QB,) will make or break their squad. They have a stud of a FB in Johnson who more or less carried their offense. He got hurt with two games left and they struggled to find their idenitiy after. They will more than likely ground and pound it this year as a result. Their QB situation I see being a challenge and possibly their main detriment..Last season the starter was hurt before the North Wilkes game and it led to North Wilkes destroying them as their offense couldn't function without the QB. They stopped Johnson and that was that. The Falcons need to find more weapons.

Then there's Atkins. I have a lot of respect for Coach David Hamlin; he's done a lot despite not impressive numbers. He took over a program that was more or less nuked the previous season with various dramas and repaired them to at least fighting teams hard in games. He got rewarded last year with the forfit win over North Stokes on Varsity and two JV wins vs. Bishop McGuiness and in the finale vs. North Stokes. A lot of the said JV team will be up on the big team this year and I expect they will be improved again with a very solid senior class who's endured a lot of hits and pains. Their main issue is what will their offensive identity will be? They struggled to move the ball in the non conference slate with the hybrid wing/pistol offense they ran. They switched to a more pass oriented offense later in the year in northwest play and started putting points up. Will they keep the more passing oriented ways or will they run it more. Or will they do something odd entirely and run the I like the JV team did?

I see Atkins winning 2-3 games this year potentially with the non conference schedule they have. They got Central/South Davidson, and Bishop early.

JeffChapman-Dynamic