Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo
- - - - -

Central Carolina Conference 2017 Outlook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Thanks to realignment, this has shaped up to be a very good, but also very top heavy conference. At least in the short term it's expected that North Davidson will be the overwhelming heavy favorites, but that doesn't mean a few others wont have a say.

North Davidson has a strong senior class, but also has an extremely strong sophomore class that will ensure a lot of wins for a few years to come. While yes they've got a new coach, I don't anticipate any kind of drop-off with Brian Flynn, former head coach Mark Holcomb's understudy and offensive coordinator.

I think the race for second will be a good one. Ledford, East Davidson, Thomasville, and possibly Salisbury will ones to watch.

Ledford did lose a ton to graduation but I think coach Chris Adams and staff will have a team ready to compete with North and they'll certainly have great numbers and also great strength.

I feel Thomasville will be better in '17 and Salisbury has potential to be the surprise team of the year. Lexington lost a ton to graduation but will still be formidable.

East had a great season a year ago but also has a new coach in David Hines. Sometimes it can be hard to speculate on a team wigh a change in leadership.

I do think South Rowan will be improved and could knock off any of the above mentioned teams. West and Central Davidson will probably still he middle of the road teams but both are very well coached so you can't count them out.

Oak Grove will be playing a JV season only.

Any takers on predictions?

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:24 AM

I know nothing of the talent at any of these schools but in my opinion if realignment reclassifies a school down and the school lets all the juniors and seniors graduate from the school, they should also stay in the upper classification in the playoffs for both years.

#3 Slashman

Slashman

Established Member

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

I agree about Salisbury; I wouldn't be suprised if they overperform this year. They need a catalist to get the program going again and I belive they have it in their new HC.

Central and South will both do better in 2A. Might not win a ton of games but being at their natural ADM level does a lot to help a struggling program. Central was a great chance to get a win off the bat in Week 1 vs. Atkins.

I seen Thomasville on JV last year and they have raw talent which has potential; it just has to be cultivated the right way.

#4 Dan4GeorgiaTech

Dan4GeorgiaTech

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

I guess I will throw my 2 cents into this since I live here in Davidson County.  Hands down North Davidson is going to dominate this conference at least for one year.  They are going to be playing 2-A ball with 4-A enrollment.  They could contend for the state title in football because they will be that good.  They held their own in 4-A and dropping down 2 levels and keeping the same enrollment size for one year, that's almost not fair.  The only team I see beating them in 2-A is Shelby.  Even the might Golden Lions will have their hands full with North.  They are full of athletes and have size, speed, plenty of skilled players and that fast paced offense they run will wreak havoc in the 2-A level.  I mean, they snap the ball every 9 or 10 seconds and with the majority of 2-A schools playing kids both ways, North will just wear them down fast. 

I don't know that much about Salisbury other than they are getting a new coach.  Don't know what kind of offense they will run or anything. They have been a triple option team for the last, well, for a long time.  I kind of was leaning toward Ledford finishing in 2nd place in the conference.  Again, this will be a 3-A school playing with 2-A enrollment for one year just like North and their 4-A enrollment.  They will have numbers and should do well in the 2-A ranks.

Again I don't know much about Salisbury and Lexington did get hurt by graduation.  Never count out Thomasville, EVER!!!  They always manage to sneak their way up the standings by the end of the year.

On a sad note, and I apologize for not posting about this, one of our greatest coaches at Lexington passed away on June 4th.  Gary Whitman died at hospice on June 4th according to the Lexington Dispatch. He was 72 years old.  I went to school with his kids and his daughter was in my graduating class at Lexington.  Coach Whitman guided our football team to back to back state titles in 1985 and 1986.  He also coached for 12 years at High Point Central where he guided the Bison to a state runner up in 1995 where they lost a high scoring heart breaker to Bertie.  He led the Bison to the 2-A state championship in 1999 where the defeated SW Onslow for the state title.  Coach Whitman will be sorely missed.  I always referred to him as our coach, my coach.  He gave my step sister her first job as head physical trainer at High Point Central.  Well, her first job out of college that is.  I don't know how good Chris Hughes knows coach Whitman but he was a great coach.  I still remember when I was in high school we were playing Thomasville and coach made the team do our warm ups at Philpott Stadium, then the team got on the buses fully dressed so that when we got to the stadium in Thomasville we were ready to play right off the bus.  The team didn't get to Cushwa Stadium until about 2 minutes before kickoff.  Man I tell you, the refs were livid as was coach Allen Brown of Thomasville.  Talk about your major head jobs, that really got under Thomasville's skin, lol.  Anyway, Rest In Piece coach Whitman,

#5 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

Rest in peace Coach Whitman. Thanks for sharing a story about a great man.

#6 cougars'12

cougars'12

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

1. North Davidson

2. Ledford

3. Thomasville

4. Lexington

5. Salisbury

6. East Davidson

7. South Rowan

8. West Davidson

9. Central Davidson

#7 hbnw

hbnw

JV Team

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

Do you see east davidson being that down? We could also see Thomasville, Lexington, and Salisbury be interchangeable.

#8 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,002 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

I think East will be just as good.

JeffChapman-Dynamic